1967 Yamaha YDS5 engine?

jkilpatrick

Hi all. I am trying to source an engine (alive or dead) for a '67 Yamaha YDS5, or at least a period 250 Yam two-stroke, to try and re-build the bike for my father.

My father emigrated from the UK in 1967 and bought a new YDS5 when he arrived in Canada. About 2500 miles later, he blew the engine and gave the engine to a local shop for a rebuild. The place went into receivership, and he never got his engine back. He did however grease the living daylights out of his bike, and stuck it in a barn under a tarp, where it remains to this day. Unfortunately, a few parts have been misplaced over the years, bits of chrome are now pitted, etc., but I believe there is still a good chance of breathing it back to life, perhaps with cafe racer style upgrades.

Any help appreciated. Please contact me through the forum.

I have a DS7 top end and some miscellaneous engine parts you can have on the cheap. Will likely need rebored/oversized pistons but that's easy stuff.

Thanks. I may follow up on this. I may be able to source a seized DS7 engine in need of a rebuild, mulling that one over just now.

Cheers.

jkilpatrick said:
Thanks. I may follow up on this. I may be able to source a seized DS7 engine in need of a rebuild, mulling that one over just now.

Cheers.

Cool the stuff I have is just taking up space at the moment. Shipping to Canada may be a killer though. I will say though, no matter what motor you end up with... Buy all the spare bits and pieces you can. They're pretty reliable in stock trim when taken care of, but shit happens and the prices for engine parts are getting astronomical. Having spares is a must.

I have most of a YDS5 motor, no crank but heads, cylinders, main engine body, transmission gear sets, shifter and a box of small parts. Has engine number on it. Very hard to come by.

Back
Top Bottom