DT250 Tracker

I guess I am at proof of concept stage now.
Wheels have been built and fitted, suspension upgraded, later model front end fitted with disc brake, 12v conversion competed, 12v lighting working.

Now I know everything is working it's time to go through the wiring from front to back, check and replace any suspect connections, wires and insulation. Route all of the wiring properly and tidy it all up.

The plan is to get this old beast roadworthy and registered before I strip it down and get the frame powder coated etc.
Still to go before registration: speedometer, rear brake switch, new front brake line, fix front brake switch, front mud guard, hand grips, fit seat, sort out steering stops and possibly a baffle for the exhaust. Will also need to review carb jetting.

Feels like I am finally making some progress!
d1552bbd9780f2f705363fe28b476636.jpg
7924ff655de63dffc48ce282eaddbe34.jpg

Sent from my Moto G Play using Tapatalk

Test ride completed.
Runs well and selects all gears.
Still a lot of work to do, feels nice to actually ride it though.
Ordered the Speedo and swing arm bushes today.
Hopefully get a new braided brake line tomorrow.
956196a7bc5cc6620a4ab5b2854ebe97.jpg
3dd3130488336fb909d4cdba081299ab.jpg

New brake line was made up yesterday, Speedo arrived today and seat has been ordered. Getting close now.

New pads, braided line and painted parts. Hopefully the old girl will stop now!
f815da59c020d9c97deda29eadd4c195.jpg
d97d5a6a7ac49fca516d77063f86cee1.jpg
cd774041c7b5d74396e694a83b66252d.jpg

When that job you expect to take half an hour takes a lot, lot longer.

Trying to replace the swing arm bushes but can't get the pivot bolt out.

It's frozen in place. The nut came off easy. Tried whacking it withe 3 hammer, each one bigger than the last. No joy.

The bolt head is round so I can't get a socket and bar on it to lever it free. The hole is the bolt head is not large enough to get anything in that won't bend..... Tried that already.

Any ideas?

Going to try to buy 2 thin 12mm nuts that it can lock together on the thread then try turning the bolt next.

Or maybe some heat?
a54a6a9ee554b934c57eec98e810fd85.jpg
2d50d1daddbe6d497cd8004fe0f76148.jpg

Wow, that looks suspiciously like a rear axle for the swing arm bolt. Regardless, do what Brodie suggested but if you don't have any luck there you will probably need to get a hacksaw blade between the swing arm and frame on both sides and cut the bolt off. You will then be able to push it out with a press.

Pete12 said:
Wow, that looks suspiciously like a rear axle for the swing arm bolt. Regardless, do what Brodie suggested but if you don't have any luck there you will probably need to get a hacksaw blade between the swing arm and frame on both sides and cut the bolt off. You will then be able to push it out with a press.
Yes, it does look like the rear axle from this this bike. Cutting will be last resort. Hopefully heat and a slide hammer will work.

Had some time tonight and had another crack at the swing arm pivot.
I started with a rudimentary press that I dreamt up and some heat. Didn't achieve much.
Moved onto a home made slide hammer.
A lot more heat and some slide action did nothing either.
I have managed to get the pivot Bolt to turn easily now though. I can also now pump more grease into the nipple.
Thinking I might use the air impact gun on it tomorrow and turn it some more, grease, turn, grease turn......
I am sure to piss the neighbours off if I fire up the air compressor after 10pm.
Slow progress.
0d151c5e3436a4493a9cb23b6819031e.jpg
c59b84b5528a8220478a6d6286db1efa.jpg
44a96a41db1ff629d2d958f0bb8f6a3a.jpg

No movement on the pivot bolt yet, seat base turned up today though.
Will take some work to fit it up!
f6444f7cb3251b7787fea17594441576.jpg
8e62cae066d10b2c5a5a22a3d4c75632.jpg

Still no good on removing the swing arm pivot.
I drilled and tapped a hole in the head of the bolt. Made a slide hammer from M6 all thread and a big lump of steel.
I got no where. The nuts I had locked on the all thread stripped off after about 10 slides.
Not sure where to go from here.
Might need to strip the whole bike down to the frame and try pressing the bastard out or as a last resort, cutting it out.
87988c3915daa23bcd6e18311470495b.jpg
a37ae77010cb0b73ca80929a5a13b2b3.jpg
10b1efc2eb3dd1c68da31defa24c7986.jpg

As the bolt is stuck in the swing arm you should be able to jack apart the two frame rails enough to get a hacksaw blade in there and cut the bolt off on both sides. The bolt will be fairly soft and a bottle jack with packers will get the rails apart. It's really not that big of a job, and a lot easier than stripping it all down and manhandling it in a press, particularly as you'll be pressing into the swing arm plates.

Hi Bernie
I have been thinking about your "issue". Short of cutting the bolt, there could be some hope using a modification to your earlier attempt using the home made "screw press".
The force from your screw press is just flexing the frame. If you can anchor to the opposite side of the frame and then you will eliminate any flexing and the force will go directly into the pivot bolt. You would also need to use a lot heavier cross brace than the 3mm angle (guess) that you used in your first attempt. You need to eliminate flex.
Second idea is lie the bike on it side. Use a piece of 30mm tube (or there abouts) that pivot bolt round head can slide through and long enough to bottom out on the frame pivot bracket and shed floor. The threaded end of the pivot bolt would be pointing up, and then hit it with a BBH using a soft drift. This method also eliminates flex.
Heat on the engine pivot area will help for both methods.
Good luck.

XS750AU said:
Hi Bernie
I have been thinking about your "issue". Short of cutting the bolt, there could be some hope using a modification to your earlier attempt using the home made "screw press".
The force from your screw press is just flexing the frame. If you can anchor to the opposite side of the frame and then you will eliminate any flexing and the force will go directly into the pivot bolt. You would also need to use a lot heavier cross brace than the 3mm angle (guess) that you used in your first attempt. You need to eliminate flex.
Second idea is lie the bike on it side. Use a piece of 30mm tube (or there abouts) that pivot bolt round head can slide through and long enough to bottom out on the frame pivot bracket and shed floor. The threaded end of the pivot bolt would be pointing up, and then hit it with a BBH using a soft drift. This method also eliminates flex.
Heat on the engine pivot area will help for both methods.
Good luck.
Thanks, you read my mind. I have tried pressing the bolt out with M12 thread and a 12mm steel plate either side with a tube over the bolt head. Still no good. The next move is as per your suggestion with the bike on its side, tube over the bolt head and seated on the garage floor. Then the big hammer comes out.....

Back
Top Bottom