1980 CB650 Brat/Bobber/Tracker? - First Bike, First Build

Here is my bike. Hope the pic works.

Attachments

• IMG-20130419-00410.jpg
    IMG-20130419-00410.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 474
Well, I just bought a tank! That happened fast haha, didn't think I'd find one that quickly.

Bike looks pretty good, Smoke_Eater, definitely a clean bike.

Well, not a whole lot of progress on the bike, but I have ridden it about 140 miles in the last two weeks with no new issues, so that's good!

The '79 tank did come in last night, so I tossed it on there real quick to see how it looked. I love it. Still have to figure out mounting, but once I do that I can start on the seat. FINALLY. People seem to like my dumb plaid seat though, caught at least three people taking pictures of it in the parking lot of the Norton show I was at this morning. ;D

IMG_1218_zps2fb43673.jpg

IMG_1225_zps0083a565.jpg

Dent in the front, going to try to pull that as much as I can, then hit it with some filler.
IMG_1227_zps9fdbfb17.jpg

Someone started sanding on the top, and there are a few small dents there too.
IMG_1230_zpsaa13a42c.jpg

Overall, the tank is in great shape, the inside is almost immaculate. The plan is to figure out how to mount it, make the seat, strip the tank, do all the body work, and paint it. I'll be making some sort of new side covers as well, since I'm trying to keep the stock tins as they are.

Now I just have to find the time...

Here's a quick rough photoshop of what I'm thinking. Don't pay too much attention to the color, I couldn't get it to look right.

madd750 said:
I put the same style tank on my 1980 750c, new tank came from a 79 750k. Nice looking bike!!
Thanks!

There's actually a small difference between the tanks, I almost went with the 750 tank, but I like how the '79 650 tank is flat along the whole bottom and doesn't swoop down at the rear.

Oh great! Now I gotta keep my ugly ass tank, so I don't look like I just jumped on the bandwagon! ;D

Hello guys, this is my first post. I just bought a 1980 CB 650, not the "custom" edition, but definitely faster than my CM450. It's been great to see the progression through this. I plan to do a very similar theme with mine. Two seater and all. I have some bogging around 6000 RPM, and it has an air leak somewhere. Just picked it up last night! Just wanted to be involved in the post! Keep your progression posts coming!

Jeremiahharenza said:
Hello guys, this is my first post. I just bought a 1980 CB 650, not the "custom" edition, but definitely faster than my CM450. It's been great to see the progression through this. I plan to do a very similar theme with mine. Two seater and all. I have some bogging around 6000 RPM, and it has an air leak somewhere. Just picked it up last night! Just wanted to be involved in the post! Keep your progression posts coming!

Start a build thread! Not that many people mess with these 650s, it's always cool to see what ideas people have for them.

Some fun parts came in today. ;D I LOVE the smell of new tires. Dunlop Trailmax TR91, 100/90/19 front and 130/80/17 rear, I also scored a 17" rear Comstar on Ebay for $20 that should be here in about a week, which is when I finish up with finals. Then I can get to work on the new tank and seat.

photo_zps104a91b8.jpg

Well my rear wheel showed up this morning, and it's just as ugly as I was expecting. It is straight though, and the rust on the inside of the brake drum is only surface rust like I was hoping. My last final is tomorrow night, and then it's time to get to work. Hopefully I'll have the wheels painted, the tires mounted, and the new tank on by the weekend.

M.B Co said:
Following.

Nice to see you made it over. I'm also over on GMFS.

What's up dude, didn't know you were building a bike. I took a peek at your build thread, looking good.

I spent about 3 hours last night cleaning up the 17" rear Comstar, holy hell was that thing nasty. Brakekleen and scotchbrite to the rescue! I'll probably strip the paint off the new tank after work today, and paint the wheels and mount the tires some time this weekend.

I like what you've got going with your rear hoop! Look forward to seeing more!

LBC said:
I like what you've got going with your rear hoop! Look forward to seeing more!

Thanks! I was considering bending it down some, but I think it'll work well with what I want to do with the seat. I think my bike might end up looking a bit like the little brother of yours haha.

Painted the wheels tonight, and god DAMN. I am never painting another set of Comstars again. Too man impossible-to-reach areas.

My rather ghetto setup:

IMG_1267_zps0601a361.jpg

I knew there was a reason I kept the old shocks from my truck around... ;D

IMG_1270_zps0a6e0326.jpg

This guy distracted me with a frisbee for a few minutes.

IMG_1272_zps223a5244.jpg

Primed.

IMG_1271_zpsf9c6d014.jpg

Right after I finished painting a circuit breaker tripped and isn't coming back to life, I'll figure that shit out and take some pictures tomorrow. Time for bed.

Glad you like them, because I kinda hate them haha. For how much I don't care about these wheels, the paint came out pretty decent.

IMG_1274_zpsbb2ebca7.jpg

IMG_1273_zps3e500b41.jpg

And while I was in the garage I realized I never took any finished photos of what happened when I decided to combine beer, a welder, and a scooter that I found in the trash when I was 4 years old.

Bagged Scooter by Dan Valanzola, on Flickr

That scooter is the coolest shite I've seen in weeks.

Sent from my EVO using Tapatalk 2

Back
Top Bottom