1978 Kawasaki Z650SR minor project

JohnnySomersett

Hey all, long time no post. Things have been quiet for me bike-wise for the winter. Plus, I've been too busy with my band for much tinkering in the garage. My '71 CB250 rebuild is nearly done...engine in and (was) running.
Bored of the sun arriving and having nothing to get out on, I went and bought this a fortnight ago...

A 1978 Kawasaki Z650 SR

This was imported here (UK) from the States back in '96 and thrown around by the same guy since then. The mileage isn't too bad @ 35k and the guy has obviously cared for it a lot as it's in great shape :) It's a LOT faster than what I'm used to, and a lot heavier, but I've got used to it already...rides real smooth. I did on my maiden voyage out on it get a fucking puncture though which was irritating. Fortunately I was only half a mile from home - just pissed that I had to fork out for a new tyre straight away as the old one was in good shape too...just the 3" nail in it kinda ballsed that up. Anyway, that's life!
As I was mainly after something I can just enjoy, Im not gonna do a lot to this bike - just a few personal touches and adjustments for my preferred riding style.

First thing I did was get rid of the mirrors and drop the handlebars a few inches:

And, lying around from my CB250 build I slapped on a '32 Ford tail light. I have a US style number plate on order too so it matches my '69 Buick LeSabre

Now, although I'm not the shortest dude in the world at 5' 10", I have a small inseam (28"!) and found that the bike at the height it was, and with the MASSIVE seat, I couldn't get my feet flat on the ground - which is how I like to be. So, I dropped the front through the trees an inch and fitted some 11" shocks (stock is 12 1/2").

This has dropped it a pretty hefty chunk - probably more than I expected. But, it does look rather awesome IMHO.

The seat also needed a bit of adjustment as the rise in it is right where I like to part my butt. So, that's away at the moment with someone I know who can, and is getting flattened off and re-upholstered In a more Honda-ish flat, pleated seat fashion. That should be back Monday and Ill post a pic or two of how it then sits.

After thats on, only minor plans really. I might swap the turn signals out for something a little less gigantic and maybe next Winter, give it some fresh paint. I have this rough idea that might be done unless I change my mind somewhere down the line (likely)

Anyway, thats my new ride, hope you like it, and any suggestions/ideas just hit me up yo!

Johnny

Nice bike and looks to be in really good condition. I had one a few years back and absolutely loved it, great bikes.

HerrDeacon said:
Nice bike and looks to be in really good condition. I had one a few years back and absolutely loved it, great bikes.

Thanks :) I understand it's quite rare over here to have one with its original exhaust system with the crossed downpipes. I'm glad I have a nice dry garage to keep it in.

JohnnySomersett said:
Thanks :) I understand it's quite rare over here to have one with its original exhaust system with the crossed downpipes. I'm glad I have a nice dry garage to keep it in.

Yeah, the headers were always a talking point when ever someone stopped to take a look.

Little bit of progress today.

I gave the old seat to a guy last Wednesday and yesterday, after I got back from travelling 600miles to a punk rock festival in Belgium, He text me to say the seat was all done. I wanted something that looked like it could be stock but where I could slide my ass back if I wanted. So, for £50 ($75) I got this...

...not too bad I think! And it's super comfy too. This, combined with the shorter shocks means I can get flat-footed with both feet at the same time when I stop :)

So, all I've got in line now is trying to find some turn signals that are a bit smaller but don't look like they belong on some modern pocket-rocket - suggestions gratefully received!

Back
Top Bottom