From start to now.... CB350

adams77

What I started with......
3857618764_00d21cbf41.jpg

After a few changes. Still trying to figure out if I can fit a 4.00 tire on the front.
3942202361_86a0d44148.jpg

adams77 said:

I'm digging it. Tires look fine. Maybe level the seat a bit right at the tank by shaving alittle seat foam. I'd also switch out the tail light for a $7 Pepboys trailer light, throw some Emgo shorty mufflers on, small headlight or dual HIDs behind a number plate, and taller rear shocks-way under $200 total.

I agree with Kev, if you change out that rear taillight you will gain like 5 horsepower ;) It's looking good so far, keep us updated!

adams77 said:
What I started with......
3857618764_00d21cbf41.jpg

After a few changes. Still trying to figure out if I can fit a 4.00 tire on the front.
3942202361_86a0d44148.jpg

My opinion, use a 3.50 K70 on the front and a 4.00 on the back. Toss the air filters and put on a set of pods or cover it up with a set of number plates from Omar's. Toss the grab rail, and tail light, rotate the rear fender up shorter by chopping off the other end. Chop down the seat a bit more and maybe shorten it up a bit. Either get different shockes or take the chrome covers off the springs. If you could, replace the front forks with a set of later model forks with internal springs if those have exposed springs. You could get a set from an older 80s era bike and even end up with triple clamps and a disc front brake (or run the spool if you're nuts). That will make for a good street tracker look if that's the goal.

If you look under the seats thing in the one category you can see how I did a low buck tail using a stock seat pan. It looks like the Honda RS750 seat /tail. You use the stock seat base to do it. The old 750/900 tail is easy and relatively low buck to get.

Other than tires headlights and mufflers, it is done. I wanted to make something I could comfortably bang around town on as well as take a run through the woods with. The grab bar stays for the passenger or the occasional bungee cord and my arse dont like thin cut seats anymore. I have less than $100 in the build including the bike.

I figure $100 more for tires and misc stuff ;D

adams77 said:
Other than tires headlights and mufflers, it is done. I wanted to make something I could comfortably bang around town on as well as take a run through the woods with. The grab bar stays for the passenger or the occasional bungee cord and my arse dont like thin cut seats anymore. I have less than $100 in the build including the bike.

yeah, really not much more than that- +1 on k70's

adams77 said:

Don't waste your money on a 4.00 front, it'll just make the bike feel like a truck on the road. The 3.50 will look good and keep handling more normal. Yuu wn't be getting K70s for $100, closer to $180... but you could do the Mt53 replica tires from Duro They're sold by Domiracer. https://www.domiracer.com/Comersus/Store/comersus_listCategoriesAndProducts.asp?idCategory=13656&Page=21

Apparently they don't hae a 4.00-18, but doing 3.50s on both ends would look good and be cheap. The only REAL negative is these things are like six ply sidewall tires - very stiff.

UPDATE

Decision time....the shifter wont budge out of neutral, the bike has not run on both cylinders since I've had it. I think 350's had some issues with the finnicky shifters and the carbs are cleaned and reassembled.

Pull the motor and tear down or keep trying to make a runner out of it?

Pull the carbs and replace the plugs. Both will tell you a lot about the current condition of the bike.

It not shifting out of neutral could be a few things. I highly doubt the transmission is busted. Probably a small part out of adjustment.

I prefer the "get the look first, then rebuild to perfection" style of bike building, but then again, I'm a poor kid with no garage and no money, so I don't have a choice.

adams77 said:
UPDATE

Decision time....the shifter wont budge out of neutral, the bike has not run on both cylinders since I've had it. I think 350's had some issues with the finnicky shifters and the carbs are cleaned and reassembled.

Pull the motor and tear down or keep trying to make a runner out of it?

I didn't look to see if I said it, but the old 350s require a decently charged battery to run on both cylinders. Make sure you have a good battery. As for the shifter, make sure it doesn't have a bent shaft that is wedging in the seal and cases. That's all I got...

klx678 said:
I didn't look to see if I said it, but the old 350s require a decently charged battery to run on both cylinders. Make sure you have a good battery.

Good to know thanks

Back
Top Bottom