EGLI frame, TR1 engine, build from scratch

Love big v-twins. Love home-made bikes. Put the two together and you get...my very favourite build of all time, EVER!

Well done Loek!

Thought, after looking at the final picture I note that there's a lot of space between the heads and the backbone. If you raised the motor within the frame you'd gain some clearance under the sump which seems low to my eye. Just a thought, I recognize the amount of rework it would require.

fantastic work as we've come to expect - a true inspiration. 8)

I'm in awe of your skills and envious of your facilities ........... ;D

Wow, this is amazing, I can't believe I just found this one! Signing up! :D

Incredible work - really awesome to see what can be done with the right tools and more importantly, the right skills and a ton of brain power.

Just a quick note on your footpegs - have you thought about using the folding Tarozzi pegs? Hate to see anyone loose a foot :p

Loek, serious shit man! WOW!

Zag dat je in Nederland zit (kenteken van een auto..)
Waar zit je ergens?

Thanks all for the compliments ;D Work and other things have been busy lately which is a good thing, but tomorrow the bike is in the picture again! so pictures to come.

best regards,

Loek

Hi all,

Time for pictures :) Throttle bodies were mounted, but throttle assembly still had to be done. Not very easy, but fun to work on and very rewarding when finished ;)

Almost finished assembly on TB's:
IMAG0060.jpg

Only cables have to be mounted properly

TB on bike without cable:
IMAG0058.jpg

Soldering the cables:
IMAG0057.jpg

Lasercut parts for wheels (2 pieces of 1mm stainles 1 part of 2mm stainles makes one wheel ;) ):
IMAG0056.jpg

And a small video of the working assembly (finally my phone can make movies worth showing):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=Rht5EEVaoTU

More pictures on the exhaust to follow soon.

Best regards,

Loek

By far one of my favorite builds here on DTT! Amazing work and attention to detail. One quick question for ya though. Where your cable goes through the aluminum bracket at the throttle body are you going to have some bracing to hold it in place and keep from fraying in the slit you have?

@danejurrous:
Yes you're absolutely right about that one. Like this the throttle cable will fly of on every twist of the throttle ;D. Thanks for the compliments by the way :)

Best regards,

Loek

Hi all,

Things are not going as fast as planned.... but hey, there's still progress and winter is coming to, so time to get it going again!

I'm still tinkering with the exhaust. It has been welded perfectly, but after that of course it does not fit the same way before welding.... To be expected, and not a real problem.

But mounting it is more difficult than thought of before, so the question is: Split it in two? or keep it in one piece with the difficult mounting? Decisions...

I had a bad luck day as well a week ago. I dropped a small ring into the engine while mounting the RPM sensor wheel.... :mad: :mad: Problem could be solved by removing a side cover and use a magnet :) Only a day and a new gasket lost... phew. But shit wasn't over yet
While opening the side cover the magnet that is mounted inside the engine was full of metal:

IMAG0094.jpg

IMAG0097.jpg

So I thought my engine was history... Luckily some people at the dutch forum told me that it was OK, the magnet is exactly there to catch all the metal from the starterclutch (and the starter clutches are not known for quality ;) on the Yamaha XV's)

All in all a bad day but that was it. After that things were going a bit better at least.

I (or actually my colleagues) made me a small oil-tank like box to house the electrical parts of the bike, it goes between the triangle at the back of the frame:

IMAG0088.jpg

IMAG0090.jpg

IMAG0120.jpg

IMAG0122.jpg

IMAG0123.jpg

And in general some smaller details were taken care of. The engine mount at the rear cilinder is mounted (was ready a long time ago), the steering head was re mounted with an extra nut to make the tightening a bit easier and ajustment more precise. And finally all the connectors for EFI are in and the fuel hose is cut to length and needs to be mounted between the pump, injectors and pressure regulator. All these things need a final place know :)

So that was progress on my bike, but i'm not the only person working on bikes in this workshop my colleague has finished his CB400f:

IMAG0100.jpg

Rides great and looks as a cafe racer should in my opinion ;) only a seat and a front fender...

Best regards,

Loek

Back
Top Bottom