1984 Yamaha FJ1100 Touring Turd

Re: FJ1100 Street Turd

So, has anyone installed one of these choke cables? Inparticular, how it connects to the choke control that you twist on the left handle bar.

I figured out the choke cable control ;D The new cable I made works great! I'm glad I took my time installing it, because there was about three things I was doing in the wrong sequence to install this thing. I also figured out that the throttle cables are sticking, so I will probably take hillsy's advice and make some throttle cables and bypass the throttle cable box. On top of that, I ripped all the old fabric off the seat, and am thinking of installing a new piece my self. Wish me luck :D

Are you buying a new seat cover or making one up? They just staple on so that part isn't too hard ::)

hillsy, I went to a local fabric store last night and bought a remnant piece of UV protected black vinyl. Good thing is is that it was a remnant piece, so half off. I also bought some foam adhesive. I think I have enough fabric to do both this seat, and my ATV seat 8)
On a side note, I took a cable out of the equation in the twist throttle, and now it just pulls. I also greased the inside of the throttle cable box - seems to work just fine now. I also spent some time this morning working on the front cowl. I bench tested the light and installed that and the gauge cluster into the cowl. All in all, it's going back together pretty well. I'd like to take the valve cover off and check the backlash, but looking into the 1200, they use shims and a special tool. I need to verify if that's how the 1100 is. If it is, I may need to forgo that, or have a shop do it.

1100 and 1200 motors are the same - just a different bore size.

You can still check the clearances without having to have special tools. You might be lucky and not have to change any shims anyway.

Be careful doing up the cam cover bolts - easily stripped if you try and overtighten them.

All done with the seat. I`m happy with it :)

Attachments

• CAM02565.jpg
    CAM02565.jpg
    3.4 MB · Views: 343

Thanks ;) I am now looking on ebay for a pivot bolt for the shifter and a chain guard . Unfortunately, the PO didn't include these items with the bike :eek:

Last week, I ordered an airbox off of ebay and finally received it, only to find out that the right side cover was missing. My fault for not seeing that when I bought it I guess. So back to ebay - The same seller was selling the cover separately! Had to buy that, too :'( The next steps to getting this bike to start would be to check the valve clearances, plug in some electrical connections, install the carbs and try to start it. Easy Peasy! I'm sure it'll start right up ::) I do have a 4 into 1 exhaust manifold that came with the bike. I think I'll put that on just for start up. I'll have to get something else in the future. The thing is pretty ratty! And I soaked the chain for 3 days in motor oil and hung it at work. Looks to be in 'ok' shape. Nothing I would want to ride cross country, but it'll work to test for the dreaded 2nd gear issue on these things.

So who is the resident FJ 1100 expert around here? Question: There is the big fuel line (2 into 1) coming from the carbs that goes to the petcock and there are 4 overflow lines coming from the carb bowls. These I understand. Then there is a tube coming from the petcock that I would imagine goes to the engine somewhere (vacuum)? I'm not sure where it hooks up on the engine? And also, there are two more medium sized tubes coming from the carbs that I have no idea where go. If it makes sense, great. If not, I can provide a picture at a later time. Thanks in advance.

Re: FJ1100 Crusty but Trusty

The vacuum hose goes off #2 intake rubber, IIRC.

The two "other" hoses will be breathers hoses for the carb bowls. Or if the bike is a California model, they might have gone to carbon canisters. Either way, just route some tubing either down in front of the swing arm or up under the seat - don't plug them up.

Thanks for the info. I see the spot where it hooks up, but there is a small boot covering the port. On the 3 and 4 carb ports,there is a small tube thats there that connects the two. It appears they have been there for awhile. Hmm?? When you say carb number 2, I am taking it as the second carb from the right. 3 and 4 are the two on the left.

cyl # 1 is on the far left when you are sitting on the bike.

It doesn't matter where you plug in the hose for the vacuum tap - any of the ports will work.

From memory, I think the earlier FJ's had a vacuum advance (the hose that's on #2 in your pic). Where does that hose go to?

interceptor said:
It goes to the number 1 carb.

OK - have you got the ignitor? From memory that hose went there on the first models. If it doesn't on your ignitor then you can route that hose from #2 to the fuel tap and cap off the port on #1.

I'm going to say that it does, because you mention early bikes, and this bike has an 1983 VIN Tag on it. I remember on the igniter there is a small looking tube or handle that comes off of it. I didn't know what it was for. I'll look at that when I get home and see if it's an actual tube.

Back
Top Bottom