CM400T Cafe >FINISHED!

Frankenfe

Coast to Coast
As a single dad with 3 kids at home I needed a project for a little "Therapy" every once in awhile. I decided I wanted to try a "Cafe like" build on the cheap. I decided to focus on a Honda Twin. I was looking for a CB350 but all I could find was junk or over priced. I ran across a a non-running but complete 1980 CM400T with Title for $150. A little Carb Cleaner and a New Battery and I had it running. I picked up another 90% complete 1979 CM400T for $75. A year of "therapy" in the garage, Selling extra parts on evilbay and wheeling and dealing parts (I used best parts for my bike & kept the extra engine) I now have about $450 in it net. If I get some time to list / sell more parts I have laying around I can get that down further.

A few Details: CM400E Forks & Triple Tree, CM400E Controls/Levers, CB350 18" Spokes Front & Rear, (2) CB400A Tanks. CBR600 Rear Sets. Fabricated - Lower Tighter Mount for Gauges, New Seat / Bump Stop (Attaches as Stock), Exhaust, Rear Set Mounts & Linkage, plate mount.

Since it has finally cooled down here in Arizona I should be able to make some more progress.

Once I got into it, I will say this frame type was probably not the best choice for a Cafe Build, probably would have been a better Bobber, but I worked with what I had. This is my first build.....You Live & Learn.

A stock one CM400T (NOT MINE **this one is cleaner than I started with)

MotoWEB.jpg

LeftSideFull.jpg

LeftRearAngle.jpg

RightRearFullAngle.jpg

RightRearSideFull.jpg

RightSideFull.jpg

BarsGauges.jpg

ShiftLinkage.jpg

BrakeLinkage.jpg

Re: My CM400T - Now a CMB400 Frankenfe

At this point I am interested in opinions on color and graphics. I am thinking the original metalic blue with a white stripe down the middle on the small hump on the top of the tank and the seat bump stop.

Also it seams to run great equipped with the cheapo air filters and the 2 straight pipes with only small simple internal baffles (Yes it is loud, but isn't it supposed to be that way?) What re-Jet can someone recomend?

I have always liked the "light" look with skinnier tires (currently 3.00x18 on 160Ax18 rim Front and 3.50x18 on 185Bx18 rim Rear) but the smallest Modern tire within my budget would be 100/90x18 Front & 110/90x18 Rear, Will these work on these rims? will these Be significantly Beefier looking? not sure I want that.

I also Fabricated a single/centered gauge mount as I made the double mount as currently mounted. I see Speedo only used and I see Tach only. If I decide to "Single" what should I use? I think Tach "Seems" racier but I can judge Revs by sound better than I can Judge Speed?

Also strange that the 1979 CM400T parts bike (My back up engine) had both elect. starter AND kick, but but the 1980 CM400T has only Elect start. I really want the Kick Start on the bike. Can anyone shed light on this, and would it be an easy trade from the '79 to the '80? I'd like to keep the '80 engine on since it seems like a satrong engine, and eventually massage the '79 to put on.

I also wonder about my Rear Set Linkage. I see a lot of bikes that go straight to the rear drum with a rod on top from the pedal. I went forward to the original pedal pivot point then back to the bottom rear drum. it took a lot of lever calculations to get it right, but I was afraid that the movement of the swing arm in relationship to the pedal would make the braking fluctuate. Am I Crazy????

And Missed One.......

FrontLeftFullAngle.jpg

First, I like the seat. That thing looks mean. IMO the double mount on the gauges looks so good I wouldn't change it at all. As far as the more technical questions you might not get a lot of answers. The CM400 isn't the most well known around here. You might troll hondatwins.net for more model specific answers. Overall she is looking good so keep it up, and she'll be a damn nice scoot.

CresentSon......Thanks for reading my post and the reply. I did check out the Honda Twins site. Not much there, I actually think there is more useful info on this site. As I assume you are a Cafe'r any thoughts on the brake linkage question or vote on color / graphics?

Just an opinion on the linkage, as I am far from an expert, less is more. A direct linkage has less points to fail, seize, or create play. If the rearset arm is at the same angle and the same length as he brake arm you should be fine. The color is all about preference. I like electric blue and silver. I am not much of a fan of the stock graphics. If you are going clean, straight up cafe, the stock swoosh looks a little funky. Not so much 50's and 60's street bike or racer. Ultimately it is all about what you feel like, and can accomplish. I look forward to seeing what you come up with.

Is the 80 engine a six speed? If so the kicker won't swap. If it's a 5 speed, it should!

Thanks Thralldad, The currently installed engine is a 1980 CM400T And is a 5 Spd and no Kick. The extra engine is a 1979 CM400T And is also a 5 Spd and has a Kick. So I guess it will work.

If my "Studies" (and memory) serves me, in 1980 the 6 Spd was only used on the CB400T Hawk and never used on the CM Series until displacement was increased to 450cc in 1982. It appears and I just find it strange that Honda decided on the CM400T to have a kick in 1979 but not in 1980.

Re: My CM400T Cafe Build - Now a CMB400 Frankenfe

I jumped into another thread ( http://www.dotheton.com/forum/index.php?topic=9287.0 ) and the discussion of Rear Sets Linkage

Flipping the Lever on the Rear Drum and using linkage directly from the pedal to the Rear Drum Lever
versus
Using linkage forwrd to the original/stock pivot point and then the original/stock linkage back to the Rear Drum Lever. (This is what I did)

And Push vs Pull Linkage.

I posted there a picture of my linkage. A legitamate comment was made regarding my peg height and the ability to Lean in corners. It made me think as well. Thus I took another look.

PegHtAngle.jpg

I don't think I will be leaning any more than the red line (+- 57 degrees) Thank goodness I don't have to do the Rear Sets over.

Frankenfe nice work on the bike! I think it looks fine as a cafe racer. I like your tail section and tail light, I've been trying to figure out what I'm going to do for a tailight. keep up the good work!

It's good to see someone running low rearsets. This is what I intend to do on my build.
The rims and tyres fitted to this generation of bikes along with the frame and suspension technology, just don't allow the crazy lean angles given by modern rides.
I'm into "physical ergonomics" and the the physical interface between man and machine putting as little stress on the operator as possible.
reducing the hip/knee/ankle flexion, when realistically grip would have been lost way before high rear sets came even close to grounding, seems to appeal to me.
After all there's enough stress on the wrists/ elbows and shoulders!
Lovely build by the way. :)

Thanks all !

For those who may not have figured it out. The seat was fabricated starting with the back half of another Tank the same as on the bike (CB400A) I did narrow it 1" and the fabricated the rest. I did cut out the front and rear mounting points from the original seat pan and they have been welded into the fabricated pan, so the new seat/bump, mounts and removes the same as original.

My Dad came up with an idea to minimize the frame line and the seat pan that I will do when I tear down the bike to de-tab and refiinish the frame. I am going to add some sheet metal in the small gap between seat and frame.

FillInComp.jpg

Cool build. I can certainly appreciate the therapy. I'll be looking forward to updates.

Been awhile, got side tracked with the Holidays & too much time on Craigslist. I did end up with a couple (IMO) good buys. A '65 Sport 50 with an extra engine and about $350 worth of New Parts for it and '65 CA77 Dream 305 With Titles $200 each (First Pic) I also picked up a bunch of Vintage Headlight Buckets with gauges and a couple Vtage Tanks Cheap. I think I will use one Headlight Bucket for Frakenfe. I think I like the bigger Orange one Best.

NewAqui.jpg

ORANGE ONE

ro.jpg

BLACK ONE

rb.jpg

Modified Stock

RightSideFull.jpg

ORANGE ONE

ao.jpg

BLACK ONE

ab.jpg

Modified Stock

FrontLeftFullAngle.jpg

ORANGE ONE

do.jpg

BLACK ONE

db.jpg

Modified Stock

BarsGauges.jpg

Well I went with the larger "Orange" Bucket, I have Put new tires on (110/90-18 Rear & 100/90-18 Front) Made a new Aluminum half fender for the rear, Drilled front Hub and rear Brake Back Plate, Drilled/Cut/Ground holes in the Left Engine cover, Made aluminum covers for the Headlight Ears, in the process of making a new aluminum Battery Box and an aluminum Electrical tray. ...... I will post a few new pics soon.

Good call on the orange bucket... did someone mentioned more pics? :D

Did someone request Pics?..... (thanks for following my thread CrescentSon)

New Front 100/90-18 Tire, Drilled 6x1.5" holes in Hub. Headlight Bucket Ear Covers (I realized I don't like the looks of the Generic Chrome Ones )
0315111426a-1.jpg

I found these vents I am trying to make work for the Front Hub Holes. I also robbed the Fork Brace from another bike of mine and modified for Frankenfe, it is nice and beefy and looks Mean, but I am not sure I wnat to use it. I am torn between Fender or Fenderless I may eventually Post of it with Brace & See what the response is.
0315111427a.jpg

Drilled the Rear Back Plate. You may also notice the Brake Rod Adjuster. I just thought it was so cool I had to have it. A little pricey for a "Cheap Build" But what the heck.
0315111417a.jpg

An aluminum cover I made to cover the Brake Lever I made. I didn't like the look of the big hunk of steel before. I will attach with something less bulky than the bolts eventually, Rivets? Buttonheads?
0315111424a-1.jpg

New 110/90-18 Rear Tire. and Aluminum rear 1/2 fender that mates up to Seat bump opening.
0315111431a-1.jpg

0315111558a-1.jpg

My interpretation of Side Case Holes.
0315111422a.jpg

Tray for electrics under the seat. The ignition will be mounted here as well and be accessed under the seat. I will add sides to it once all worked out. I replaced the stock battery with a shorter one and had intially adapted the original (Rusty/Nasty) Steel battery holder to mount higher & crossway in the frame (It was much lower and ran along the frame on the side) I have made an aluminum battery box that is not in the pic cuz it is at my buddies getting welded. It will mount even higher, so it should barely be seen in the frame void. Since I kept all the original mounting fro the seat there really isn't room under the bump. It will mount just behind the front tray in pic and attach to it. Then there will be another small tray area for the rest of the small electrics, just back of the battery.
0315111419a-1.jpg

0315111439a.jpg

I think I am just about done with the Mock Up .....Time to tear down for Paint, Powdercoat and Polish. Damn now I need top decide on Colors & Graphics.

Back
Top Bottom