GR650......starting over for the last time

And some other parts showed up today so I tossed this together before heading to work. GS500 sprocket carrier (with old 520 sprocket), GS500 brake caliper, 01 Katana caliper mount, and an 01 caliper torque arm. I can't say the wheel is perfectly spaced in the center of the swingarm, but just eyeballing it looks pretty good. And where it's at right now, the rear sprocket is lining up well, along with the caliper and mounts.

Just because ......

I need to get some supplies before I can finish the fairing mounts. But the more I look at it, a fender from a GS500 fits pretty well up front. It was pointed out elsewhere that my fork brace may cause the forks to bind, so I'm not committing to anything until I know it will be ok though.

Wow, she is going to look great when you finish. The lines are really good so far What tail are you running? Is it the enduro style?

Thanks Mike. I'm not 100% certain what I'm doing for the tail yet. I need to see how well everything "fits", and then plan accordingly.

Jack the bike up,pop the fork caps off and remove the upper spacers.Then slide the forks up and see if it tightens up as it slides up.

Good thinking Ben! I've been working a bunch of overtime lately, but got last night off at the last minute. So I spent all night in the garage, and decided to try that:

The picture shows the wheel / fork lowers being held up with a ratchet strap, but I actually lifted the wheel by hand first (some washers "abandoned ship" when I did that, so I needed the strap to get the washers back in....). No binding at all that I could tell. Here's another picture from the side:

I'll be mounting this auxiliary light where the original horn went (the GSXR horn mounts to the bottom of the fairing bracket). And I welded a new mount for the R/R behind / below the light:

Also worked on the upper fairing mount some more too.

The solid rod coming up from the frame is 3/8" diameter, and the cross pipe has a 1/2" OD, 3/8" ID. I drilled a 3/8" hole into the side of the pipe, slid it over the rod, and threw in a couple tack welds. Then cut a T shaped plate for support and welded it on. Still need to make the mirror mounts though.

Awesome.Glad that tip worked out for you.I didn't realize those forks were adjustable,but that makes it easier.No need to remove the fork internals to keep them from falling out.

Looks great rich ! Just mounted the same rear brake set up on the FJ but mine is under slung !

Thanks gents! My calipers came in yesterday, and I realized I have to sort out some issues with the front end. All in due time.....

Tonight is my "garage night", so there will be some good updates tomorrow morning!

Good to have you along, Chris! I'm kinda lacking in the update department recently...... but here are the calipers that showed up the other day:

But I'm exhausted, so I'll post more pictures and details later today.

Ok, as far as the calipers go: I was worried about my fork / wheel spacing since I had to shave down an axle spacer to get the wheel centered. And the calipers confirm it...... the RF900 triple tree must have a different spacing than the second generation Bandit 1200. Which means I'll have a good bit of work to get the front end situated now. Buying new parts, stem swaps, steering stops, etc. Nothing too bad, but I was hoping I could avoid all that.

In the meantime, I bought this:

If anybody here is a fan of the stock GR650 frame, turn away now. Cause sh*t is getting serious.....haha

The extensions are 16 gauge DOM tubing, with 2" long slugs inside. I can't get the rear end finished quite yet because I made a mistake bending a tube, and the top rails still need replaced......but it's progress:

One other thing I got accomplished - the threaded insert for the fairing mirror mounts. It is a 6mm coupler nut with the hex head edges ground down to for inside the tube. Once it could for inside, I drilled a 1/4" hole thru the tube on each end, inserted the coupler nuts, and welded them in place. Sorry for the extreme close up picture......

Back
Top Bottom