Finally got myself a bike. and its not a honda...

And for your entertainment, here are some photos...

All Cleaned up. I didnt take a photo of the chain when it was lubed. Im sure you guys can imagine...

Soooo my girlfriend just haaaaaad to get a bike since I got my Harley..... I am not thrilled about it, but I also cant be a super huge hypocrite. I did have some requirements for her though...Id go into them but everything will be explained if you just look at the photos. It may not be a CB but its pretty damn close.

Welcome "Watson" a 1978 Suzuki GS400x

I rode it home for my girlfriend tonight (about 15 miles). It was a blast to ride. Completely different than the Harley.

gearhead231 said:
Hey Fury, did you ever take those photos of the gauges? I didn't know if the offer was still on.

totally forgot man - when I get home I will shoot a picture.

Brown Santa Came:

Also, I found a new inspiration for my build.

Im thinking about trying to do a nice rattle can job on the tank. Im guessing I can do a pretty good job for under $100. Has anyone done any good work with a can? I could use advice.

Would you be interested in this header? I built this a few months ago, then decided on a 2-2 exhaust. I noticed you have forward controls though, and it won't work with those. If you are gonna put standard controls on, it will fit fine. The muffler is a generic glass pack, and isn't exceptionally loud. I used a slash cut tip instead of the smaller diameter turn-down in the materials pic.

Without the muffler, it is REALLY loud. It's painted with VHT high heat black. That paint is pretty durable. I use it on my hot rod exhaust.

Anyway, I'm just looking to recover the cost of materials and you can have it for $200 plus shipping, including the muffler.

harleyheader4.jpg

harleyheader1.jpg

No worries man. I saw your inspiration bike, and thought I'd offer it up. It's up in the rafters collecting dust. It can stay there a while longer

HAHA! Sounds good Mike. I might take you up on it at a later date. My friend also just bought a tig welder to I might see if he is feeling ambitious.

In other news, my speedometer/Odometer just froze at 25,012 Miles, and now I can tell the cops that I thought I was only doing 10 MPH.

I bought the stuff from Columbia River Mandrel Bends, and the head ends from Biltwell. Those aren't that special. Those can be made too.
SPD and Burns are also good places to get exhaust parts. Columbia is less expensive, although the metal is a bit "dirtier" and tends to leave pin holes in the weld if you're not very careful.

The muffler is a generic car glasspack with a 3" OD. I used a chunk of 3" tube I had laying around to extend the body and do a slash cut on it. For mounts, I just made something that used the stock exhaust hangers so I could switch freely between the 2-2 and this header.

On the bike, it sounds different because it puts the noise behind you. Going down the road, it's less noisy to the rider, but probably about the same to everyone else as the 2-2. For a road trip where you wouldn't want the exhaust noise constantly pounding your right ear, it would be better than the 2-2 that has the front pipe exiting right under you.

I had fun making them, and if you like fabbing stuff, I think you'll have fun doing it too. I tried to use the LSR header as a sample of what I wanted visually.

Me, I can't see spending north of $600 for a two cylinder header

I really like the look of when people dump the exhaust right under the foot. However I dont think that would be very comfortable when sitting at a stop light.

That's the beauty of building your own. You can do anything you want. Not happy with 'em? Cut 'em apart and do it again!

Well, the weather here is changing very quickly. Winter is supposed to hit us really hard and fast...(insert dirty joke).
At this point Im just trying to get my new tank covered with paint so it wont rust over winter. I didnt try to fill the tooling marks or anything. I figured Ill do all of that when I can actually paint it how I want it.

So far I spray 3 coats of Rustoleum Automotive primer, 3 coats of Rustoleum enamel black. I havent found a good clear coat yet. Suggestions welcome.

Some pictures:

This is after wet sanding the first coat of primer.

3rd coat of paint:

FINALLY, we had some decent weather today. The last 3 weeks have been nothing but wind, rain, and cold.
I came home from work and tried to lay down some clear coat.

(I know that there is a ton of dust in the paint, I will be repainting the whole bike when I have the money)

Also, I saw this on my instagram. All I need is new handlebars, new seat and tons of black paint haha

I have decided I will probably make a new seat pan out of fiberglass. I am afraid it is too cold outside though. Anyone have any advice/experience with laying fiberglass?

So after going back and forth I said screw it and put my new tank on. Took some convincing but shes on there. In the US we have these dumb "safety" gas cans. Long story short they are a huge PITA to use and I ended up dumping gas alllllll over my paint... oh well.

My awesome workbench.....

Back
Top Bottom