nothing special, just another bastardized cb750...

Mr.E

Got to keep the loonies on the path...
Hello drogies, here we are again... my wife bought me this last fall (saved it from rotting away in a trailer park in the far western tip of north Carolina). Its a 77, its been blown out to 836cc, and was park because a rear spoke tore out pf the rim. The back wheel was then removed, and placed under the bike to keep it out of the mud. Go figure.. It was a 17" wheel, and I like/have a couple 18" wheels. Win.

2011-11-06_23-24-26_867.jpg

As you can see it needs a serious diet.

Here's how it looked shortly after arriving.

2011-11-20_16-50-37_890.jpg

These parts will not be seen for the rest of this project...

2011-11-20_13-58-27_188.jpg

The frame is looking a little more trim...

2011-12-06_20-31-58_914.jpg

I have a good deal more progress done on this project, just very little time to update here and I am uploading everything from a droid x in a low signal area... fun. Ill work on it tomorrow when I have better signal. The progress posted so far was actually back in december.

The previous owner must have thought it was real cute to stick weld galvanized pipe of different diameters to the exhaust spigots. Ill try to salvage em but they are rough...

CameraZOOM-20120417205157777.jpg

I should also add that it will be a long time before anything pretty or polished shows up on this build. This is all about performance, I've got all winter to polish the turds up.

This is the tank that will be used for this bike. Its off a cb500t. Minor fitting will be required...

2011-11-20_17-30-47_742.jpg

Mr.E said:
The previous owner must have thought it was real cute to stick weld galvanized pipe of different diameters to the exhaust spigots. Ill try to salvage em but they are rough...

This was obviously done to tune the exhaust to get the same amount of flow from different.............

Nevermind.

I got nothing.

Haha thanks guys :) yeah, I got nothing either... except a pic of the swingarm going on the bike. Its from an 82 cb650c. Its tubular and a little longer. This should help get the lowered stance im after.

CameraZOOM-20120322223137658.jpg

I should add that im doing this build mostly by feel. I have a pile of random parts I've accumulated so I want to build this bike purely by trial and error, what u see in my mind, and by doing some good old fashioned networking with people around me - not kit parts on the internet. Some of the only kit parts you will find on this bike will be Rearsets by durgham k.

Here is another shot for the unholy cocktail. Its some kind of aluminum tank with a brass float valve inside. My brother found it in a trash pile in Wyoming, and sent it to me.

CameraZOOM-20120419083037948.jpg

I know I can use the body, may need new ends made tho.

These small areas are what needs to be shaped for the tank to fit. Still need yo figure out a rear mount tho. Bungee cord maybe??

2011-11-20_17-26-43_74.jpg

Here's a shot of the cb650 swingarm getting fitted. Lucky me, it fits in there great.

CameraZOOM-20120425211925074.jpg

Here's my weapon of choice for this project...absent from the photo are the empty bottles of harp, because none of us use powertools while drinking, right...? ::)

If you think the drill bit looks funny, that's because it is a reamer... no sense going all ape shit on it if better tools are available right?

CameraZOOM-20120425204600645.jpg

And here's the hole.

CameraZOOM-20120425202932058.jpg

Yup, im liking the ass end of this bike so far.

CameraZOOM-20120407212603187.jpg

Got the motor mounted again. (Need a chiropractor now). Time to shim the rear end around to see what needs to be done for the swingarm and Sprocket spacing.

2012-08-05_11-41-24_691.jpg

For this task I am using a cheap laser level from big lots.

Just struck a line on the center and placed it on the rear sprocket.

2012-08-05_11-49-40_442.jpg

2012-08-05_12-01-32_895.jpg

Why are you going for a lowered stance? Just curious. I went the opposite direction on my cb project. Swing arm mod cost me a pretty penny. Will your seat cowl have enough clearance?

Thanks Flug, but I've actually got a spare set of clipons im fitting at this very moment. They are the chinese adjustable sort, now fortified with extra bacon and and poor mans engineering... and @ biker reject: im about 5'8", flat footing most bikes is a little bit of an issue for me. So my goal here is to have a bike I can straddle without tiptoes. I figure worst case I can get longer shocks or move the mounts.

As for the seat clearing, this will be a short seated solo bike. And the planned brace for the section I removed will be welded in facing up at some yet to be determined angle,

So even if the tire goes into the seat hump under load, it should still have enough clearance (I hope) but again, this is all by feel and idea, so my determination for not following any examples of others may lead to me to inevitably seeking examples from others to make it work :)

Ok here's the rough mock up. I trimmed .100" off the sprocket side spacer, checked the wheel for center line, and im satisfied with it. Now I've got to cut about .050" off the drum side spacer to make it fit properly.

CameraZOOM-20120805133541884.jpg

I forgot to add what is probably the most important detail of this project that I am trying to adhere to. It is important to me that all of the "performance and vital to operation" parts of this bike (frame, forks, shocks, wheels, engine, exhaust) be either period correct for when the bike was made, or custom made by me, or possible for custom fabrication within 5 years of when the bike was made. In other words, if it wasn't available back then, or something like it, its not going on this. No gixxer forks, no ninja wheels, etc. I got this itch last year at barber when I saw the dime city cb750. Its a great looking bike, but I just wanted to see if I could squeeze performance out of a bike without defaulting to modern tech. So here it is, old school ingenuity and a shoestring budget... that's the organics to me. I may add a digital bike speedo, but haven't decided yet. I guess it doesn't add anything to performance, and it is cheap, we'll see...

Here's the headlight. I found it in a junkyard in Florida while visiting family a couple months ago.

2012-05-14_17-23-43_387.jpg

Someone said its from a Yamaha, I dunno but I like it. And its h4.

Got these in the mail yesterday. Got to love networking! I've had ppl in 2 states keeping an eye out for a set of 900f shocks. Score! $100 bucks.

CameraZOOM-20120817175818733.jpg

Back
Top Bottom