Suzuki GN400 Scrambler/Cafe Hybrid

I knew you were gonna say that Damn I would like to run a pod filter but Im not paying to have it jetted.

Looking at the parts you build, it looks like you have CNC machine in your garage. Looking at your pics, it looks like you do it all on a drill press.
Very cool. 8) I like it.

I was checking out how some of the parts are made and it actually looked easier than I thought it would be. It makes me think that I can almost do it.

Any reason why you went with the XS650 front end over say an SR500 front end to match the rear swing arm?

I have a GN400 that I'm getting up and running and I'm looking to do something similar to what you've done...
As I'm also on a budget, I'm just trying to evaluate what will be easiest / best to try and get my hands on.

Can you post your jetting specs?
I have a GN400 boardtrack racer special I'm building. I'm still using the zook's CV carb with a larger main jet, air screw tweaked, and a K&N pod. It works pretty well, but I'd really like to get away from the CV. I think the stock carb is a 36mm... any particular reason you went with a 32?

Awesome project by the way!

This is a very impressive build! Wow

I have an '81 GN400 that I am working on and can't decide if I'll chop or cafe it - mostly stuck on tank and seat options. Now I know i'll use the same Clarke tank - many thanks!

Two questions:
1. Can anyone tell me the part # for the GS1100 tach block-off plate?
2. When is there going to be another post so I can see what seat I will be using to go with the tank!

Thanks,

Rob

Thanks for the quick reply. Unfortunately I ordered a black Clarke tank already, but thanks. Thanks for the part # too. I look forward to seeing this build come together. I'm sure your custom seat will give me some direction. Thanks again.

I've been following this & just wanted to chime in to say what an awesome looking machine you're building. The pic of the tree on that car is just awful though. What cars did you lose?

Man that's gotta be heartbreaking! Are either recoverable or too far gone? Really sorry to see that happen... sometimes life just plain sucks! But then usually there's something pretty cool just around the corner :)

misteroddjob said:
They're both too far gone.
Even if the Sunbeam could be straightened by a bodyman with superhuman abilities, it will be impossible to find all the glass and the VW pickup is twisted, so it will never go down the road straight again.
I'm going to find another VW pickup, but I was planning on selling the Sunbeam anyway.

That's just tragic... there's a guy diagonally opposite us here who has a little Sunbeam of some sort, look like fun little cars...

I hope you find your VW and am looking forward to seeing the GN come to life!

whats up long time no see. Hows the GN coming along? Damn sorry about your cars and the tree. I just bought a new bike to go alongside my GN. A 1986 Honda Magna VF700C its a really big difference when compared to my GN. I still ride the GN just not as often.

I just inherited a GN400 from a friend, and will be working to get it up to snuff. I hope you don't mind if I ask you some questions along the way. I have gotten motorcycles and ATVs running in the past, but I have never tackled a build/restoration. Were the XS650 forks necessary to lower the frontend? I'm wondering if the GN stock forks will be too tall for a cafe/scrambler stance, or if a taller rear tire will level the bike out?

Thank you for getting back to me so quickly. I joined this forum because I saw a photo of your bike online, and I was very impressed with the level of detail. As you can see from my profile picture, I am starting with a pretty raw GN. I'm not 100% on a strict cafe bike. I like the idea of a cafe/scrambler hybrid. I am looking to change the stance of the bike, but not at the expense of safety or functionality. I like the idea of using the XS650 forks because of their abundance and low cost, and I'm wondering if there are any other forks that would have a similar effect that are plug and play like the XS650's? By the way, I really like those tires, what sizes are they?

Great build, love the 'lathe' and the attention to detail.

I'm sorry to see what happened with the cars, was the Sunbeam a Holbay version? - they were called 'Sunbeam Rapier' here in the UK and were available with a Holbay tuned motor, my dad had one back in the day, such a cool little car.

I don't know how I missed this build!

Great idea and great attention to detail.

Crazy

item.JPG
item.JPG

I had an Avenger GLS (Plymouth Cricket??) many years ago, it was a short but fun ownership.

Anyway, I'll stop jacking your thread now!

(I am going to run the GN motor and won't be using a battery at all, which is one of the reasons I chose it for my base.
The goal is to trim it down to around 275lbs wet.
The GN has a different electrical system than the DR/SP bikes.
The DR/SPs need a battery to run, but the GN has 2 coils, one for the ignition and one for everything else.)

If you aren`t running a battery are you using a capacitor?
I have an 81 GN 400 and have been running without a battery or regulator or rectifier.
Do you have a wiring diagram for your set up.
How do the lights act at idle or higher rpm.

Back
Top Bottom