kz750 twin....bratstyle/cafe bastard (strap on sally) phase 1 complete

Re: z750 twin....brat.... "painting.....assembling"

hallin222 said:
sinbad, excuse me if I missed it somewhere in this thread, but what was your source for the new engine bolt kit, and what was the cost? I have several nearly-stripped phillips heads on mine, and I'm considering swapping them all.

I bet Z-1 http://www.z1enterprises.com/ has them as a kit for your Kaw... I got mine from Fastenal, but had to look up the sizes of each one.

*EDIT* Yep.. they do.
Bolt Set - Kawasaki KZ750 B Series 76-79 Stainless Steel Set 211 ZZ
NGSS-211

-
Includes 66 bolts and 2 Allen keys for a total of 68 pieces. Primarily all visible bolts on lower covers. Any extras shown here - Cylinder Head Cover, Engine Covers.

$26.95

hallin222 said:
sinbad, excuse me if I missed it somewhere in this thread, but what was your source for the new engine bolt kit, and what was the cost? I have several nearly-stripped phillips heads on mine, and I'm considering swapping them all.

mmmmm those fahking phillips heads were bloody challenging to remove.....
i got the kit for about 50bucks off some german ebayer......
the above kit that hoosier daddy posted looks good too!

BUT CHECK OUT THIS ONE......!!!!!! 229 pieces for under 20 bucks wtf???
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Stainless-Bolt-Engine-Kit-KAWASAKI-KZ-750-Twin-76-80-/180898151528?pt=UK_Motorcycle_Parts&hash=item2a1e5ebc68#ht_2594wt_948

not bad...are you set on keeping the clip ons above the triple? it looks so awkward...i think it defeats the purpose of clip-ons.

casper3043 said:
not bad...are you set on keeping the clip ons above the triple? it looks so awkward...i think it defeats the purpose of clip-ons.

casper,
the reason i went for clip ons instead of the drag bars is so i could lower the front by sliding the forks up through the triples........with the drag bars this cannot be done, as the fork hits the bars.....
i agree that the clip ons look a little wierd because of the gap between them.....it is in a similar position to the drag bars though...
i also dont really want to have them mounted traditionally as i find clip ons too low espiecially with these mid controls its not an option.
however.........i have a solution!!!!
when i rebuild the forks, i intend to lower/shorten them internally with spacers.....thus allowing me to go back to the dragbars with some nice new slimline risers i think will look the best!!
im still thinking of putting the r1 usd's on it too......in that case, ill be going for a new headlight/dash.top triple/risers/bars....haha
too many options!!
we'll see what happens in time.
thanks for your honest feedback!

so i wasnt going to use this front end on the kz.....
i thought ide mock her up and see how she looks...
check it!

i tried it first with a little 4 inch cafe style headlight....
then after with my headlight!

IMG_0767.jpg

IMG_0779.jpg

chrome 4" headlight
IMG_0776.jpg

my headlight
IMG_0780.jpg

IMG_0781.jpg
IMG_0782.jpg

looks real tough i reckon!!!
so now comes the stem swap and ill try use the kz axle sleeved maybe??
or try and get new wheel bearings that will fit the kz wheel and the r1 axle?? that would be better me thinks!!

then im looking custom discs.......
or
some standard 320mm discs off something with custom disc carriers!!!
haha so many options but time will tell my good fellows.....

z750 twin....brat.... (r1 usd front end mockin-it-up)

Looks great man, I like it more with the first headlight though! How come your changing the axel?

Re: z750 twin....brat.... (r1 usd front end mockin-it-up)

It looks fantastic. How much height would you lose? Is that a 19" KZ wheel? I was mocking up my 19" with Ninja 1000 forks and the tire is uncomfortably close to the exhaust.

My god.. fawking do it..

Its sydney winter anyways..do it!

Ok, you may be winning the KZ750 build-off. Those forks are killer. It's not the look I'm going for on my own bike, but I'm sure I'll be jealous of your ride quality and braking ability.

Nicely done. Good luck spacing that axel and wheel properly. I'm sure it won't be too hard.

Ryanh said:
Looks great man, I like it more with the first headlight though! How come your changing the axel?
ryan im not sure what ill do yet with axle.....
id prefer to use the r1 axle as its stronger....that means trying to find bearing with an o.d to match kz wheel and an i.d of 22mm...
hoopers bearing i believe....

thanks for all the feedback fellas!

damarble said:
It looks fantastic. How much height would you lose? Is that a 19" KZ wheel? I was mocking up my 19" with Ninja 1000 forks and the tire is uncomfortably close to the exhaust.

yes it is the 19! it would be such an easy conversion using the r1 wheel thus no need for custom spacers etc....however i love the look of these kz enkei's.......gives it a tough look!
im pretty sure the shocks are about 2 inches shorter than the kz jobbies!
it does look pretty close ey.....
im also a little worried about ground clearance when cornering.....
if its too tight/low ill look at either dropping the forks down with a custom top triple......or seeing if its possible to extend them internally with a spacer or build a new high mount exhaust!
one thing leads to another....

hallin222 said:
Ok, you may be winning the KZ750 build-off. Those forks are killer. It's not the look I'm going for on my own bike, but I'm sure I'll be jealous of your ride quality and braking ability.

Nicely done. Good luck spacing that axel and wheel properly. I'm sure it won't be too hard.

haha nah i dunno man yours is looking pretty sweet too!
these forks do put it into new territory though....
i need a lathe to make up heaps of spacers but alas i dont have one! will be getting most spacers done by my machinist!

I never realized how much I like the appearance of a z750 twin motor.

sinbad85 said:
im also a little worried about ground clearance when cornering.....
if its too tight/low ill look at either dropping the forks down with a custom top triple......or seeing if its possible to extend them internally with a spacer or build a new high mount exhaust!
one thing leads to another....

Don't worry about the cornering clearance too much, our twins are nice and narrow compared to the 4s.

I'm trying to get Les Holt over on KZr to make a 2" drop triple. He has 1/2" and 3/4" now for only $165. Go cheer him on and he might be more inclined. I could get by with a 3/4" drop top but due to my stupid forks I need a huge bottom drop to get good contact area on the lower clamps.

thanks for the kind words fellas!

damarble said:
Don't worry about the cornering clearance too much, our twins are nice and narrow compared to the 4s.

I'm trying to get Les Holt over on KZr to make a 2" drop triple. He has 1/2" and 3/4" now for only $165. Go cheer him on and he might be more inclined. I could get by with a 3/4" drop top but due to my stupid forks I need a huge bottom drop to get good contact area on the lower clamps.

yo damarble!
VERY interested in those triples......
what diameter forks are they for?? or does he just bore them out to suit??
les holt ey............(research will be done)

Must say that this bike is awesome!
Always loved the KZ-twins. The sound with your pipes must be like thunder or do you use an insert Db-killer?

If you want to get the noise down, have a look at the old WV-1300´s. very popular with the HD builders here in Sweden since they fit inside a lot of dragpipes.

Is it a CBR 250/400 I can see in your garage or is it a VFR?
Damn i miss those bikes! i know most of you aussies hate them thou but up north we don´t have them so off course we love them ;D

Eleganten said:
Must say that this bike is awesome!
Always loved the KZ-twins. The sound with your pipes must be like thunder or do you use an insert Db-killer?

If you want to get the noise down, have a look at the old WV-1300´s. very popular with the HD builders here in Sweden since they fit inside a lot of dragpipes.

Is it a CBR 250/400 I can see in your garage or is it a VFR?
Damn i miss those bikes! i know most of you aussies hate them thou but up north we don´t have them so off course we love them ;D

hey eleganten....thanks for the kind words....
i do have baffles already inside the pipes.......still pretty loud.....way too loud without them....
i wonder how the shorter pipe will sound with the bellmouth tips??
ill be sure to post up a vid once shes running again....
it is a cbr 250 in the background yes......
was my first ever bike and ive had it for about 8 years.....
it will finally be finished in maybe the next 2 years!
doing it for my girl to ride!
i have a love/hate relationship with it......i have crashed it once, and had many a close call on it,
but thats due to the fact it was my first bike and i was always pushing my boundaries.....
these days im much more of a cruiser on the road!

Back
Top Bottom