1974 Kawasaki G4TR 100cc bucket racer project

GroovyAardvark

Been Around the Block
Hey there,

Long time listener first time caller.

I am Leigh, 24 from Australia, but moved to Philadelphia 3 years ago. One of the best things about moving? The affordability and availability of vintage motorcycles! I have a 76 Honda Cb360T as a daily rider with eventual plans to cafe it, and this 74 Kawasaki G4 100cc.

I bought the bike for $300 from a guy in Lancaster, PA.

I regret not taking any photos of the bike when I first got it, but suffice to say it was in rough shape. Here is a photo of the same bike but obviously in excellent condition.

g4tr.jpg

I want to turn that, into something like this:

1968_jamathi_50_racer.jpg

My very own bucket racer! I'm sorry if i keep using the term bucket racer, it only seems to exist in Australia and New Zealand. Essentially they are small cc bikes bought for nothing and then turned into cheap racers thus why they are called bucket racers. (Bucket of bolts, bucket of Sh!t etc)

Anyway stay tuned for my progress!

Re: 1972 Kawasaki G4TR 100cc bucket racer project

oooooo all these small displacement motorcycles popping up..

welcome to philly!

Hi Go!

Thanks for the warm welcome, it seems we are outnumbered by western Pennsylvanians so I thought it was about time to finally join and make a page (after a lot of nudging from Bobdot!)

When I got the bike it ran but barely. We took it around the block a few times and had an interesting time playing with the 10 gears it has. It has a hi/low gear switch for off road use, but the low gears are basically useless for what I intend to use it for.

The main problem with the bike apart from it looking awful (in basically every way) was the leaks.

It leaked significant oil from the head, but even more from the exhaust. We are talking puddles after 5 minutes of running. BOY did that baby smoke! I knew 2 strokes were a little smokey, but I could have halted all flights over Europe with the amount of volcanic ash that thing was spewing into the stratosphere!

volcanicexhaust.jpg

So the hunt was on for a motor gasket kit, carb kit and piston rings.
It took me some digging, but after about 2 weeks I had gotten all of these parts for about 30 bucks assuming I would need them all.

I like the idea! I've been planning on doing something similar for a while with my next bike. my biggest source of ooh and aah has been this guy: http://www.elsberg-tuning.dk/the%20bikes.html#Classic%20racer

brainrush said:
I like the idea! I've been planning on doing something similar for a while with my next bike. my biggest source of ooh and aah has been this guy: http://www.elsberg-tuning.dk/the%20bikes.html#Classic%20racer

wow, that guy's doing some funky shit, I love it!

I like the inspiration bike and the name bucket racer! Get after it, I want to see some pics of your bike now and some pics of what you are working on!

The first order of business was to strip this bad boy down.
I was mainly just after the frame and engine anyway, alot of stuff has to go bye bye...and with good reason!

seat-1.jpg

Original seat...euckk!

fender.jpg

ugly plastic fender

sidecurrent.jpg

After being stripped.

fronttankless.jpg

Quickly put on some old clubmans that were laying around from Bobdot's 350 that now has very sexy clip ons (bastard)
The clubmans combined with the dropped triple tree and the semi brushed tank put back on it, it starts looking more like a bucket racer and less like a old dirt bike!

rearleft.jpg

My Cb360 on the left, bobdot and his CB350 and the Kawy on the right.

very nice. i was just asking someone yesterday if they had anything like this laying around. those little racers are the coolest. good luck

Very cool man. You have a nice little project rockin' here. I look forward to checking it out in person when the Pittsburghers invade... ha ha ha

After stripping the bike, the biggest issue (apart from aesthetics) is the motor.

99cc's of pure leaky goodness..

enginewithair.jpg

I wish I had taken a photo at the time, but after taking off the head there was at least 10 years worth of oil leak crusted into various places. Note the covered air filter still in place.

minusair.jpg

Without the standard air filter on. K&N pod filter in its place? I think it will look pimp as hell!

dirtypiston.jpg

This is what the piston looked like after I spent a good deal of time cleaning off the burnt on oil. still needs more work. Almost tempting to buy a new one ($50) New piston rings put on this one at least.

Right now I am scraping away all the old worn out and cracked gaskets and replacing them with a set I found on ebay for 18 bucks.
Also in the works is a new front end. New grips, bar end mirrors and speedo all just arrived and pretty happy with them. All bought for under 30 wing wangs!

wing wangs???? I believe you meant "doll hairs" sir. Doll hairs that you can use to buy a wicked sweet sengdwidge. Who needs a beer?

Good luck with this!! i would love to do the same thing!!

YOU STOLE MY IDEA!!!

;D

Haha, nah, just messing around. I'm from Australia as well, but still here. A few months ago I picked up G4TR also in pretty bad shape, and another with the bits I needed. Its currently awaiting fitment of a Keihin 28mm carby and a few other trick bits like a Honda CR80 chamber. The race is scheduled for 16th May out at Wakefield park.

Anyway, welcome aboard! Feel free to ask me a few things about the bike - I found a ton of 'back in the day' tuning info from scrounging around a bit. Its all in my build thread.

Cheers - boingk

Your build is fantastic mate! Pure co-incidence we are doing similar things.
Great minds thing alike I guess!

I assume your from NSW? I saw the P plates. (funny how none of the Americans will have a clue what we are talking about)
I am from Vic originally.

Thanks man... but its far from ready. the biggest thing at the moment is connecting the carburettor up properly and making a more appropriate fibreglass seat, plus mountings for it.

I'm in NSW, go to my full licence Tuesday afternoon. Did you ever ride here in Australia?

Cheers - boingk

PS: Posted a reply to your Q on how expansion pipes work in my thread.

Thanks for the expansion pipe info, very interesting.

No, I never had an Australian motorcycle license, just dirt biking on farms sort of thing.

I heard that they recently changed the 250 cc restriction for P platers?

Hell yeah, did they ever! Anyway, sent you a PM so your thread doesn't get too cluttered.

Cheers - boingk

Cool build. I have been wanting to do one of these for a while. Keep us updated.

PM sent.

speedo.jpg

Old speedo on the left, newie on the right. Snapped it up for 15 bones off the e of bay.
Going to put the neutral and indicator lights in to it. I believe the light on the right is meant for oil, but pfft....

I put on new grips and bar end mirrors yesterday as well, not exactly shown in this photo however.

Back
Top Bottom