Out in a field Build ... XS 500 The Sock Monkey ( Finished pics ,video, )

Re: Out in a field Build ....

Yea man that fender idea is pretty slick!

What're you doing about exhaust? If you're ditching the original mufflers, I'd love to buy the exhaust nuts if they're still intact... Pretty hard to find pieces!

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk

sorry bud going to keep the front part of the exhaust and just add pipes .i took those exhaust nuts to the dealer and he told me he never seen ones like that befor. they have a allen key head on them . but after messing with them with some cleaner got them to look like new.but if i change my mind and you havent found any by then ill let you know !

I'd always thought a small cowl like that would look cool and I'm glad someone did it. It looks pretty sweet.

oh i was actually talking about the nuts that clamp the mufflers to the headers( like a 1.75"-? thread). i just use 6mm (i think) hex nuts on the exhaust studs haha.

well now that the new year is a few days away im heading back out to do some more work ! been saving $$ for parts and am looking at headlights. now i know almost all CR bikes have round headlight . but wanted to go a lil diff way maybe with a square light to go with my tank and tail ! what do you guys think would go well ? i know its all up to me but just looking for other ideas outside of the norm.....

That little cowl made from the fenderis very cool! Keep it up.

well back to work on the beast ! ordered a set of megaphone pipes other day from LowBrow customs and got them the next day. for 99.00 bucks it was a great deal and got the look that i was looking for . they came with 3 diff shims and nice looking clamps . used one of the shims which fit the header pipe and then made my own shim to help take out some of the slack. the mounting that came with it was good but didnt fit where i wanted the pipes to hang . so me and my bud Mikey G went about making ones that would work and set the pipes right where i wanted them.only thing i still need to do is clean up the hangers and make a stop for my sidestand so it dont hit the pipe.... i also picked up a new headlight from Dime City and am waiting on it should be this week and then ill be looking for my carbs ....
0909090.jpg
47689.jpg
98986.jpg
8908.jpg

This build is fantastic! The detail work is really great, I'm very excited for the conclusion!

so i had to move somethings around and had to mount my exhaust lil lower then i planed. was going to hang them off the welded on bolts that was used for the rear pegs. but as you can see the pipes turned out great. so last night i took the back wheel off then cut and smoothed out where the bolt was . turned out way better then i thought it would . should be getting my headlight soon so thats next......
54r.jpg
34434e.jpg

Cool build. Like everyone else I dig the tuning forks! 8)

Got my new light today from Dime City which i have to say ROCKS ! its a 7'' Metric style assembly black with a chrome ring . had everything ready to go on the bike so when i got the light it was on lol. but didnt have the right bolts for it , im trying to do everything in SS allens. so had a black pair that would work for the moment. and this is what i got ....
9921.jpg
223455.jpg
kk99.jpg

so after messing with the light i stated to work on my stop for my side stand. dont want to dent the new pipes and all. so was thinking of a few things like tapping a small hole under the lower frame rail but thought better of that . not that i plan on riding in the rain but you never know . and dont like drilling holes in the frame lol. so was thinking maybe a nice clamp would work with a cool stop to it . started looking around the shop and found old bark-buster clamps out of aluminum that with a lil cutting and shaping would work nice. so after some messing with it i came up with this ( maybe not IT but close ).....
nf3i3.jpg
mfrrr.jpg
010111.jpg
202022.jpg

So after putting the new pipes and the headlight had to either scuf up the pipes and light ring or polish forks ,other small covers. i just couldnt bring myself to mess with perfect chrome so polishing it is. started to mess with the forks and a few other parts...
rd350fork.jpg
djdkn.jpg

Not alot to add still polishing but did have the left fork leg tabs milled off and all polished up and back on the bike. Picked up a 71 R5 and a 72 DS7 in baskets lol sold the DS7 to a friend and have been helping him pull the motor apart for a rebuild . i wont get into it ill let him tell that story ! As for the R5 its in the planning but first I MUST FINISH THE XS ! ( i keep telling myself) so just polishing and planning for now ::)

I have been wondering how the hell I am going to mount my remote reservoir but now I know! Great idea, can't believe I didn't notice it sooner.

Edit: Whoops, at first I thought you put a polished aluminum band around the top of the fork and mounted to that but as I went back I see the bracket mounted to the upper triple. Was that a homemade bracket or did ya find one that would work? I may still give the band/clamp idea a shot

Back
Top Bottom