1982 Honda CB900f Supersport cafe/brat build

Didn't get too much done yesterday. Put the new speedometer on, and after seeing it and the tach, I like them, but am going to have to make a better mounting solution. I don't like the angle the faces sit at on the brackets that came with them. I still need to add the Oil pressure, Neutral and High Beam lights as well, so I'm thinking it's just about time for more beer box templates.

Spent way too much time figuring out how to tuck the flasher, starter relay, and wiring harness up under the tank as well. It's currently a temporary mockup, held in place by zipties, But I'm fairly happy with how it's looking.

Got a rear fender cut down and mounted as well, still have to strip the chrome off and paint it though. It's big enough to protect the new Keihins, but still manages to tuck behind the triangle. I'll get some more pics today. Now I've got to look into cutting the "ears" off of the tank where the side covers used to pop on.

Spent an hour in the garage this evening. Finished up a battery box to put the new AGM battery under the swingarm, and then took an old chain and started making a helmet/jacket rack out of it.

Fork seals, dust wipers, fork springs, rear shocks, rear springs. The bike should be on healthy suspension within a week!

Ok, I've been focused on other vehicles for a while, but I got to crackin again over the last week or so, just here and there after work.

Carbs are on finally

Tank stripping

Sides down to bare metal, no dents!

Some of the light rust that had formed under the paint, it all came off though.

Primed then base coated in gold metallic...

Taped

Candied

I am Iron Man! Not really...

Needs more doily

Candy after doily, not feeling it...

I cleared it anyways, but she needs to die

Burn ugly paint, BURN!

Sticky mess

Naked again

back in primer

Lets try it all again, but with a different pattern, and lace before any candy

Digging this a lot more. Not bad for an adventure in rattle can painting, I may do something similar in the near future with proper paint. This works for mock up though.

Sweet unicycle bro

Swingarm is prepped

Under arm battery box is welded on and painted

Tail light bracket relocated from the bottom of the hoop to the top, should provide more tire clearance with my fat ass on it.

Swing arm bolt cleaned and polished up

Don't you love it when you make a battery box, finally get good looking welds with good penetration, only to realize that you welded both too far forward to allow full swingarm movement, AND forgot to offset it to clear the chain? Me too. Cutting through welds sucks.

Battery box put in the right spot, and rear end reassembled

New carbs don't use a cable choke, so I reused the choke bracket for this little idiot light bracket I made from some scrap 22 gauge.

Finally finished the seat, not exactly what I was looking for, but the wife sewed the cover, so I'm stuck for now.

Sneak preview!

and then my new rear shocks showed up yesterday!

I'm armed with YouTube, a factory service manual, new fork springs, dust caps, and fork seals. Rebuild time starts soon, wish me luck!

Thanks! The 626's new engine is ready to go in, just need to find the time. I'm trying to sell some parts right now to pick up a modern sportbike with a blown engine or no engine. Going to just swap the complete front end now, and then look into the specifics of the rear. The frame on the cb900's is REALLY wide at the swingarm, nearly 10 inches at the pivot point, but that doesn't change the face that I can't get away with too wide of a rear due to sprocket placement. So hopefully I can find a 600 roller on the cheap. The swingarm will for sure be narrow enough to fit in the cb frame, and HOPEFULLY the rear wheel and rear sprocket placement will allow for relatively easy conversion.

I sure did.I just layed a piece of masking tape across the tabs that aligned with the bottom of the seam on either side of the tab. After completely draining it of gasoline of course. Then use my trusty cutoff wheel to remove the offending parts.

MrVito said:
not a one

Right on..
I was thinking I would get the other 750 tank and see if she fit. I just want a straight line there..

Hey so have you thought about tires?
Mine has the original tires on her still.. plenty of tread but each one has a big ass crack..
I guess stock would be more of a cruiser tire???

Good to see the update on this build. I remember the first pics you posted when you brought that ugly POS home ...my kind of project ;) You have definately had your ups and downs but I am sure you've learned along the way.Bike is looking much better considering what you started with.
leucadiasycledesigns : I cut the tabs off my tank just as MrVito described and it doesn't leak a bit. The factory sealing welds are above the cut line if done straight.

Now , I gotta ask... even though it was back a ways do you still have the OEM side covers? I know they won't fit now that my tank tabs are cut but I want a cheap set to play around with and not feel bad about cutting / drilling them for my 750.
As long as I am at it, do you still have the shocks? How bad were they? I have been casually looking for a pair of CB900F units, mine stock 750's are in good shape I just like to get a set of those as an upgrade. If yours were in decent shape, straight and rods not rusted, I might be interested in them too.

Let me know either way, and again... congrats on the progress!

I'll have to dig through the parts pile to see if I have side covers. Between my jeep, my old mazda, the other bike, work, family, etc, I've barely had time to look at her in months.

Back
Top Bottom