'74 CB 360 Cafe Build - Luna - "Done"!

Re: '74 CB 360 Cafe Build! (the beginning)

Ah-ha, now I'm not the only one looking for upside down valve springs
well spotted ;)
You als check frnt run of chain is 'tight'.
There is no such thing as 180 out, the cam turns half crank speed so lobes are up on a single crank rotation then back down with next 360 turn ::)

Left cyl. exhaust valve:

2635add85e69eb3aa9a098acfaf37632.jpg

Pj- not sure what you mean by "front run" of chain, are you referring to the cam chain on exhaust side where the slipper is? Forgive my ignorance here

Front is the front of the engine as it would sit in the frame or exhaust side

Timing looks good to me.

adventurco said:
Pj- not sure what you mean by "front run" of chain, are you referring to the cam chain on exhaust side where the slipper is? Forgive my ignorance here
emoji15.png
Yes ;)
Spring is the right way up, the 'closed' coils go towards head. Make sure they all look like that 8)

Will do

Worth noting, when exactly at LT the lines on the sprocket are maybe 1-2 degrees skewed off horizontal, but when the engine naturally rolls about 1/8" past the LT mark, it is perfectly aligned.

I think shifting the chain over one link will make it favor the other side too much. Cause for concern?

Scratch that. Must've been too early this morning. Everything looked good so gave everything a coat of oil and buttoned it up. Pics of the finished engine tomorrow, still have to polish and reassemble front sprocket cover.

Be glad when it's all together

Did you fill the bath tubs with oil?

Like this?

Attachments

• a-young-woman-soaks-in-a--007.jpg
    a-young-woman-soaks-in-a--007.jpg
    37 KB · Views: 1,454

Got home from work and felt motivated to fire up the vinyl cutter. Stuck a big fat gold Honda logo in the toolbox because well, why not?

fd36f864091102beefbd9022892d688f.jpg

Polished up that sprocket cover. Engine is finally buttoned up. Feels good man.

ff8fd734ed5479df2d9372a5cfc90c69.jpg

81281fd544cb41c3512664b2d0a89842.jpg

Cheers to that!

b60682fa47ee4b4d5c5c230f58d86e86.jpg

Uh, did somebody say "vinyl cutter"?

I knew I liked you right form the start. ;)

Do you do freelance work?

got me side tracked...engine looks really nice.

OK, you talked me into it. I had a horrible week, safety testing elevators at work. On Monday I broke a $600.00 tachometer. Then an hour later my co-worker (same job) broke a $3000.00 manometer.
Tuesday, broke elevator 1
thursday, broke elevator 2
Friday...3rd times charm. Elevator 3, down until further notice.

The boss is delighted. ::)

Capt'n and coke here I come.

Also, getting ready to start cleaning the CL100 engine up. How did you get her clean and ready for primer?

'74 CB 360 Cafe Build! (the beginning)

Yep, vinyl cutter. I only do freelance work. Have a 60" cutting area and can get any vinyl you want, have the standard stuff in stock.

Rough week. Least you got a scoot to work on to take your mind off it though

I built a small sodablasting box out of scrap wood and some 4" PVC toilet mounting rings. Used my pops' compressor and a piston air gun with a tube running to baking soda...

It worked, but I won't do it again. It was a huge pain in the ass. I'll buy a box and blaster kit next time, but I had a slow winter so the budget was tight. First time ended up with the Beetle and rest of the garage covered in baking soda, the other few sessions took place outside, and it was mostly me that got covered.

The sodablasting got all the heavy crap off, after that, hit everything with a rough scotch pad til the metal was shiny. I used VHT engine enamel, baked the parts before painting then again after to cure.

Before:

4afe671fe3e0f67c2680e85c88867ade.jpg

After blasting:

7d602c9bf04ed65b0b509377e81efc2a.jpg

soda sure looks to work GREAT.

I was thinking about walnut shells from harbor freight, in buddies cabinet. Ill buy him a cup of coffee in the morning.

I need buddies like yours.

Soda is nice because it's water soluble, and easy to clean out of all the nooks n crannies. I think next time I soda blast I will boil the parts after to really get rid of the stuff

Yep, Im lucky, got some interesting and fun friends.

c75e7b6b0054904428f800fa1ea69566.jpg

Bought this little truing gauge off amazon...works pretty well. Got the front to within .015". Had to run to the Honda dealer and grab some tubes last minute because i had ordered the wrong ones, d'oh.

Tried mounting with zip ties, didn't work. Used the tire levers and had it on in a couple minutes.

Pics tomorrow, too tired.

Tank almost ready for primer. One more round of filler. Trying to figure out how to get my rear brakes to work with rear sets

You need my rearsets. The 360 set has a custom pivot made that makes use of the stock brake rod, return spring, and light switch. 100% bolt on, no mods to the bike required. Or, you can kink a rod up and run it straight from the lever to the drum.

Back
Top Bottom