1972 Jawa 250 Californian - Rust Machine

Got a gift in the mail today.

93.jpg

Piston, rings, gudgeon, gaskets and circlips.

94.jpg

Piston goes off to the guy that's boring my cylinder tomorrow night. The original was a 65mm. This new one is a 66mm to match the new bored size.

95.jpg

Getting closer to engine reassembly.

D.

Note to self: when under coating parts and hanging them to dry, hang them a little higher else you'll crack your head on a swingarm more than once...

More parts post molasses.

96.jpg

Primed and hanging out of the way of my fat head...

97.jpg

Slowly, slowly.
D.

The last of the pieces came out of the molasses.

Here is the front fender. The left side of the pic shows where the power washer had blasted off the rust and paint.

98.jpg

Here it is again with the left and right both blasted!

99.jpg

Another piece post molasses.

100.jpg

And the last pieces hung, primed.

101.jpg

D.

Czech post came through! I've now got all the parts to assemble the engine.

103.jpg

Now I can:
  • Connect the engine to the frame.
  • Seal the gearbox
  • Connect a clutch cable to the clutch

104.jpg

With a little luck I might get the bottom end together this weekend.

Woohoo!

D.

I owned a similar model of this in china, interesting bikes the kickstarter locks in to also be the gearlever, and if the timing gets too far out when you start it it will run backwards, always suprising when you let the clutch out.

Grr. I was wrong. I'm missing two bushes. One to seal the crankshaft bearing. One to seal the main drive bearing.

While I'm finding these bushes I'll start the paint. No jokes about Roger and his Shrubbery please...

Here are the first sacrificial pieces with some matt black. Not too bad.

First up the battery holder.
105.jpg

And the toolbox.
106.jpg

Damian.

I just want to say "hello" from Norway!

I'm restoring a Jawa Californian 350 this winter, and are going through the same operations. Getting rid of all the old dirt, old paint and rust. So fare the wheels are complete with new rims, spokes and rubber. The front end is overhauled. Fenders painted.

Now I going to start on the fueltank.

Best regards
Tor Johan

Hey Tor,

Good to see another Jawa returning to life. Do you have a build thread or some pics of your progress? I'd love to have a look.

Regards,
Damian

The only picture I have just now, is from before the work begun.
I'll try to come up with something when I start putting it all back together

Tor Johan

Attachments

• 07_1984832632_hoved.jpg
    07_1984832632_hoved.jpg
    20.2 KB · Views: 1,124
First of all i have to say i really like these old Jawas/cz´s. Had a few of them growing up to ride in the fields with.
I dont think u should cafe it,might scramble it with some six-days parts or something.
And the fella above,my countryman Tor, you should look up Saxegaard he has absolutely EVERYTHING for these bikes.
Keep up the great work D.
Cheers Jorgen

No, i'm not. Just restoring it.
I have an old GS 750 that I plan to convert to caferacer, if I can find a nice seat that fits

Tor Johan ;D

For the update you have my daughter taking the photos. She is much artier than me, so I've indulged by leaving the pics a bit bigger. Apologies.

Bearings out of the freezer and into the engine cases.

107.jpg

Gear box reassembled.

108.jpg

Looks ready to go back together.

111.jpg

Daughter putting her art skills to work with the gasket goo.

110.jpg

Tada!
112.jpg

113.jpg

Clutch ready too.

114.jpg

I'm still saving to have the cylinder fin welded and vapour blasted. Hopefully January. In the meantime, the painting will continue.

Cheers,
Damian.

Nice progress with some artistic help from the young one.
Those engines are eyecandy for sure! :)
Keep it up..........

Back
Top Bottom