what should i do. im lost

speady81304

IM build up my little CB125S. into a road racer. and i found that there is really not much room for rear sets. I have some off a GSXR600 that i want to use. any ideas on what i should do to make a mount for them. if you need pics search my intro post i posted pics there for members to see. this bike is very small. but i think it would be great to built into something diffrent you dont see CB125S road racers. i like to be diffrent.

Did you get the mounts with the pegs, or just the pegs?

This is how mine are mounted:
DSC00924.jpg

rightrearset2.jpg

drackett_19 said:
hey speedy, i'm also in the process of mounting some rearsets, but onto a cb550. I am plannin on using some kind of frame clamp. Probably like the ones on this webpage: http://www.jpcycles.com/productgroup.aspx?GID=BFE7A495-6D65-4619-9570-B7C67EFA65E4

you could also weld some mounting brackets to the fram somewhere to attach the rearsets to.
Totally none of my business but i would seriously advise against using something like that for mounting rearsets. Just my .02

TonUpSoldier said:
Totally none of my business but i would seriously advise against using something like that for mounting rearsets. Just my .02

Just out of curiosity... What are you thinking?... Sounds like you had a nasty expereince!!...
Isn't that what the Team Hansen guys use?

This stuff is all new to me, so any advice is good advice. Do you think the clamps I posted up look too weak? or do think frame clamps are a bad idea in general?

I grabbed the attached picture from the ohio cafe racers site. (hope they don't mind)

That is what I am hoping to do with my bike.

While those clamps hold the rearsets in place and look like a simple solution, I too think they may not be strong enough. Those are short little bolts just threaded into the thin steel plate of the clamp. Wouldn't even get to full depth of the plate as it's on a curve.

Something similar but with better clamping would work - of course your best bet is to have tabs welded to the frame. If you're going through the hassle of completely rebuilding the bike from the frame up, you should a) add whatever tabs / remove whatever you don't want from the frame and b) paint the frame.

Having a welder add some metal plates for those rearset mounts to bolt onto would probably cost less than the clamps.

Why wouldnt you just mount the Peg and levers through the passenger peg hole?
Ditch the fancy leg shield and the V bracket.

Thats what is done if you bought a Raask Rearset kit for a cb350 or cb450.
Thats what Im gonna do on my cb450 & cb550f...

Why wouldnt you just mount the Peg and levers through the passenger peg hole?
Ditch the fancy leg shield and the V bracket.

Yeah, I thought about doing that, but after riding with my feet on the passenger pegs for a while, I figure i'll be more comfortable and it'll be easier to shift, with the levers lower and not as far back. more in the position that the Raask sets would be sitting.

I am using the same 1 inch 3 piece clamps on my cb350 and can jump on them with the bike on the center stand with NO movement at all. anyone in CT can try them out when the weather is warmer.

I simply dont have faith in something that my weight in a given situation is supposed to be supported by that isnt integral to the frame. Some you gents may in fact have no problem, but, i also weigh 260 lbs. Granted, most of the time, most of your weight is on the seat, bars and perhaps the tank in emergency stops, but ive ridden out of situations where ive had to "stand" on a peg (ie over large unavoidable debris, etc) at speed, and i simply wouldnt want to have the concern of whether or not a peg was going to hold up, coupled with all the other simultaneous computations going on in your brain at the time. Yeah, they may work well for a track bike, but its a track bike, on a track, with generally clean tarmac under and in front of them.

It is indeed your bike, and your body at risk, and i may be way off base, but i would consider finding an alternative were it my bike. Its not even so much that clamp that concerns me as much as the bolts holding it. Take a look at your stocker peg bolts, and im sure you'll find they are twice, or better, the size of those things. Doesnt take much to shear a bolt of that size. Again, just my .02. Dont like to see any of our bretheren hurt. I have the same fear on cast brackets like those of the RAASK set ups. Its pot metal.

I'm sort of with tonupsoldier on this one. Whereas I'm sure the clamp on method is fine, I would not trust it. Plus, it sort of looks like and afterthought, not a true solution. A picture of what you're dealing with would go a long way here. You also always have the option of welding on a rearset bracket. If you don't have a welder, it should only cost $10 to have it welded on. Then you just have to find some paint that matches the frame. Proteal spot painted on his frame with a rattle can and it looks great. I could not tell the difference.

--Chris

Back
Top Bottom