Help: Brake Pedal Rearset

Gordon

Been Around the Block
I've already got the brake pedal done, but I'm not quite impressed with the outcome of it. The bike's brake is situated on the left side of the hub while the brake pedal is on the right side. There is a shaft that runs across the bike to transmit the force from the right to the left. The problem in having rearsets are: Kick Lever and the Exhaust.

Exhaust Issue: The brake pedal has to come from below the exhuast and up again.
Kick Lever Issue: I can't get it quite behind because it messes with the kick pedal then.

So this is what I had to come up with. It works fine, but looks pathetic.

brake2bk2.jpg
brakeqn2.jpg

Maybe it just doesn't have the finish thats making it look bad.
Maybe the paints come off now, and it looks dull and weird.
Or maybe, I've to implement another way out.
Any ideas?!

have you thought of reshaping the kicker? if you had a flare out bent into it. you could get folding rearsets and take the brake you have now. pull it off the splines re-angle it so the arm coming off the splines faces stright down then bend the brake so the arm loops under the exhust like it does now.
the end reslult would be a little more compact and allow for a somewhat cleaner look. you could cut and reweld the pedal so it goes forward of the brake arm instead of reverse.

To solve the peg issue if you don't have the funds to get folding pegs you can take your peg where it attaches. the weld should have over lapping steel. if you cut the weld there should be an inner u shaped piece that the peg actuslly rests on tap a hole and get a pin and c-clip set up. like one uses on a hitch. what you are making is when you start the bike pull the c-clip take the peg off stat the bike line the peg up and replace the pin a c-clip. with a little practice you can do the peg in 20 seconds. Use to know a race bike that had that setup and it worked great

Cheers

Thanks for the reply Mortikan. Although I didn't quite understand. Will be great if there is an image or sorts.

If you notice the Enfield Sportsman, its got a much better brake pedal. Maybe its because the exhaust is a bit inside and there is enough room for the brake pedal to squeeze in between the kick lever and exhaust. For mine, there is hardly a gap between the exhaust and kick pedal.

I already have a folding footpeg. I always have to fold it to kick start the bike.

electra_sportsman_front.jpg

Here i've got another proper picture. I'm suprised I got almost the same setup :) Okay now how did the Enfield guys manage to get the brake pedal coming up from below the exhaust at that location. I'm shocked that it doesn't touch the kick lever.

RoyalEnfieldNEC2005%20001_edited.jpg

HEY GORDON, WHAT THEY ARE SHOWING IN THE PICTURE WAS WHAT I AM SUGGESTING. Why not just buy a pedal from the sportsman are the splines where it attaches different? I would do some measuring and see what you have to work with see if you can get the specs for the pedal on the sportsman to see if it will fit and just buy it.
why reinvent the wheel as my grandfather would say.

But I have the exact same setup on my bike. I just don't know how they've managed to get the brake pedal coming up from that location. I tried that and the kick lever touches the brake pedal, not the footpeg. To get around this issue, I got the brake pedal coming up from quite ahead and swept the "pedal footpad" of the brake pedal behind.

actually your pedal is ahead of where there's sit. but, you are only talking cm's maybe there is something else wrong with yours that your not happy with?
If you want to be exact looks like you need to cut off the actual pedal from the arm and reweld it so the arm attaches directly underneeth the pedal. you have to cut & re-bend the arm at the very bottom under the exhaust. so it matches the sportsmans profile. then reweld it at the new location so it still misses the exhaust but works for you.

MORTIKANNNN AAARRRGGGHHH! :) When I fabricated the brake pedal I had made it exactly the way it is on that Sportsman. But the problem was that you cannot kick start the bike when the brake pedal is there. Which is why I've taken it forward and made it the shape it is. I think the difference between my bike and the Sportsman is that the exhaust is more towards the inside. Due to this there is enough gap to get the pedal up where the kick pedal is mounted. I think thats the only logical explanation I could find. Because if the exhaust was as outside as mine, that setup would be impossible on the Sportsman as well.

two suggestions
#1 Have you thought of putting a different set of pegs/rear sets mounted back farther you can reshape the brake to suit your needs from there.
#2 have you thought of reshaping the kicker? if you had a flare out bent into it you could have the brake pedal where you want it. You could also look for another kick start arm that suits your needs with a bend already in it. cut your splines off and weld them on the new kick starter.

I am not trying to frustrate you or go round in circles which we appear to be doing. I am looking at the pics and giving you advice. I have the 2008 catalogue from royal enfield I could look in it and see if there is anything. but you could also go online and see.
Do you have a repair shop you know the guys maybe go and ask them what they think and if they have any suggestions.

#1 Have you thought of putting a different set of pegs/rear sets mounted back farther you can reshape the brake to suit your needs from there.

The current position seems perfect.

#2 have you thought of reshaping the kicker? if you had a flare out bent into it you could have the brake pedal where you want it. You could also look for another kick start arm that suits your needs with a bend already in it. cut your splines off and weld them on the new kick starter.

I'll try this one out. The cam doesn't match any other bikes kick lever. Enfield themselves have two styles of kick levers. One is for the 5-speed, and one is for the 4-speed. Don't know if the cams will match. Will check them out today evening.

These models aren't available in India. And I love that sharp bend pipe thats available in the import models. You don't get them here :(

I DON'T SEE WHY YOU CAN'T ORDER THEM FROM THERE ONLINE SITE AND PAY FOR THE SHIPPING. It might be a little expensive but maybe worth it. you know you can use brake arms from other bikes. I run the arm from a cb360 on my yamaha tx650. I cut off the spline part of the arm from mine and from the cb brake lever and welded on my splines to the honda arm. painted with silver and clear and bam. New brake arm the only issue I had was weight of the new arm I now run 2 springs to get it to rebound back.

Sorry for the delay. PC is down, will have to get a new one.

I DON'T SEE WHY YOU CAN'T ORDER THEM FROM THERE ONLINE SITE AND PAY FOR THE SHIPPING. It might be a little expensive but maybe worth it.

It will be expensive and probably useless. I'm sure that the brake pedal is not going to work. The other day I checked the clearance between the kick lever and the exhaust. There is no way I could get ANY brake pedal up from that position.

you know you can use brake arms from other bikes.

I've worked this one out as well. All other bikes in India have the brake mounted on the right side of the hub EXCEPT for Royal Enfield. Which is why the linkage comes from the left side to a small shaft and then transferred to the right side. Because of this complication, there are limitations on the rearset design. No wonder even Enfield themselves got the brake pedal coming from below the exhaust.

I'll try to experiment some more and give any updates. No promises since I think what I have right now seems day-by-day the only and best option.

Back
Top Bottom