Suzuki GS Cafe Racer Collective! Share knowledge.. ask build questions!

Assuming the forks were they same diameter then yeah they should slide right into the 750 triples. I think the 750's had 35mm forks, so whatever the 550 is..

Didn't we do this once before???
According to the FORK TUBE DIAMETER LIST that I shared ont the HELP! 1-800-CAFE-HELP section here on DTT in '83 they bumpped up the tube size to 37mm on the GS550 L and E models... so no, you can't simply slide those fork tubes into your 750's triple trees.
AND... on my other sticky STEERING STEM BEARING SIZES LIST ther shows the GS550E (83) and GS550L (80-83) models streeing stem bearings are listed as Upper: 25 x 47 x 15 Lower: 30 x 55 x 17.
BUT the GS750B/C/EC/N (77-79), GS750D C/N (78-79), GS750EN/LN/LT (79-80) are listed as Upper: 25 x 48 x 16 Lower: 27 x 48 x 14

Signed up for this thread for sure......

Roller, I have a set of dual disc 35mm forks I could let go cheap (shipping gets expensive because of the size / weight though). For the easiest GS front end swaps, getting a complete front end from a salvage yard is usually the way to go. Axle spacers, triple tree spacing, caliper mounts, etc will all line up right off the bat.

Hey Hoosier Daddy, ya, sorry I am being a bit lazy. It was just that I found a front end for sale cheap and was looking for a quick answer from someone here on this thread. I would really like to keep my spoked front rim but gain dual disc performance.

I thought I had read somewhere that GS front swaps were pretty easy. Guess I was wrong!

Thanks for the info!

Big Rich... I have been looking for a parts bike or a salvage yard in my neck of the woods, but no luck. I think Kijiji and Craig's List have all but killed the salvage yard business in my area.

HR

Here we go... listed for the 77 GS750 Frame AllBallsRacing shows..

Suzuki GS550 1983
top set = 25x48x13 kit pn 99-3509-5
bottom set = 30x48x12 kit pn 99-3515-5

HolyRoller said:
Wow, Hoosier, that list is amazing (actually both of them are).

Thanks again.

Not my work... just sharing some knowledge and updating as we find more. ;)
Did you see AllBallsRacing.com has your bearing adapter kits, I finally got it to work for me.

saw that thanks. big help. the front end I found has the GS550 triple trees with it. just lacks rotors and calipers so I might take a look at it.

Roller, you can keep your spoke wheel with no problems. It's drilled and tapped for the other rotor, same axle size as GS bikes from the same era, etc. But some bikes have a wider fork spacing, hence the reason it's nice to get the axle spacers from a complete donor front end.

This probably isn't relevant but don't forget that the 2 valve 750L's had 37mm forks

Not irrelevant at all, sir. That kinda emphasizes why getting a complete (ish) front end makes everything easier.

Speaking of L models: watch out for the leading axle models. I think the triple tree is offset to compensate for the leading axle.....and the forks can bump your tank at full lock. Just something else to consider.

Thanks for all info fellas... very appreciated. I am not positive mine is not 750l... its defo 2 valve, but I think its just a 750B.... did they make 750l in 77?

Get a cup of coffee and a snack, you'll enjoy this:

http://www.suzukicycles.org/

That website is awesome.... I already want to order the Biplane. Gorgeous. Thanks for the heads up on the site. Bookmarked it.

Of all the motorcycles I've owned/own..this is the only non-Honda. I wanted one of these every since I saw one in a dealership when new back in '79. It took 30 years to find one and after bugging the owner for 3 years, I jumped at the chance to buy it and turn it into this. A slightly modified GS1000S. This bike rocks!

As purchased. It was complete with a lot of the parts in boxes.

All done

Thanks, guys. I feel really lucky to have that S model. It took almost 2 years to get it done, but it was worth it. That thing is a blast to ride. For a 35 year old bike it really cooks.

Here's a shot of my 77 gs550.just built it. It's still a rolling project

Attachments

• DSC_0020.jpg
    DSC_0020.jpg
    719.1 KB · Views: 359
Back
Top Bottom