Front sprocket removal question??

jr75cb360

Hey guys, i have picked up a 1975 CB360. It had been sitting in a barn for who knows how many years. At the moment I'm trying to remove the engine from the bike but have hit a little problem. The front sprocket cover does not seem to want to come off. I have removed the four screws and the shifter lever but still the cover seems to be stuck. I have tapped the case with a rubber mallet and all but still the cover will not come off. The bike appears to have been layed over(or fallen over). So my question is, does anyone have any ideas on how I could get the cover off (in one piece if possible)??

Thanks,
Joel

Get a long wood dowel or broom handle. Stick it as far under the cover as it'll go and gently pry it off. Make sure you have ALL of the bolts removed.

I have all the engine mounts loose and all connections off, and when I started prying the engine block moved and the bike started sliding towards me

There's nothin but bolts holding it on I don't see why it would pop off...double check for bolts

Check www.cmsnl.com for the parts fiche and check if you really really really did remove all the bolts.

I've checked and double checked and have seen no other bolts on the outside. And the schematics I looked at show I have them all out.
Could the shaft the shifter lever is on be holding it up if its bent? Because when I got the bike the shifter lever was touching the left crankcase housing

Shift axle might have been bent, but that would not be the problem of not getting any movement out of the casing. Could be a lot (a LOT) of grease has started a community behind the cover, acting as glue. When you are 100% sure all bolts are out, i wouls say it's safe to apply some force. It has to come of, one way or the other.

It has to be something simple like the grease acting like glue, because I'm not sure when the last time was when this thing ran. I may have to recruit someone to hold the bike as I apply some great force

Does this cover seal for oil containment? If not, in an inconspicuous area you could try tapping a putty knife into the joint - file the putty knife a bit to sharpen the edge and just tap it in gently to see if you can get some separation.

No its not sealing any oil, and its weird that its not coming off because there is a gap all the way around the case now but the cover still will not come off.

4 bolts, TWO DOWELS
dowels are corroded into case and cover.
Spray some release oil in the holes and down the gaps, tap it back on then wiggle it back off

The CB360 Sprocket cover is a tight fit when it isn't corroded. CrazyPJ hit it on the head.

Since you have a gap, spray some penetrating fluid into the gap.

Tap the cover back in, get it out a little, tap it back in....it will eventually work out.

After you get it apart, clean the heck out of it. Use never-seez on the pins.

When you get it off, warch out. the clutch actuator has a little 5/16 ball that comes loos, falls out, and rolls to place where you will never find it...Ask me how I know 8)

It must be nice when it comes apart, but I've tried and tried and tried some more and it is STILL on the motor. I scraped ALOT of junk out of the case but its still holding on. I've hit the case pried on the case, sprayed penetrant on the dowels, but this case is kicking me it the butt!!

jr75cb360 said:
It must be nice when it comes apart, but I've tried and tried and tried some more and it is STILL on the motor. I scraped ALOT of junk out of the case but its still holding on. I've hit the case pried on the case, sprayed penetrant on the dowels, but this case is kicking me it the butt!!

You could make some pictures to show us what you're working with. It's nearly impossible to say what the cause is from words alone. PJ is right though, the dowels can be a serious pain. You have to remove the cover in a straight way. Do not wiggle it to much from left to right but pull it off in a way linear to the bolts that went in. I'm sorry, i cannot explain it better in english. If you put the cover to much to one side, the dowels will only jam the cover.

You can put small strips of metal between engine and case, and pry a screwdriver between those metal strips. That way, you do not damage the engine to much. I'd say HIT IT!

Here is something to try.

Pull the clutch lever. If necessary, go into the clutch adjustment on the cover, loosen the lock nut, and run the adjuster further in. Also, tighten the cable adjuster. Pulling the clutch lever puts quite a bit of pressure on the clutch rod, and might pop the cover right off.

The 2 red circles are where the alignment dowels are. The Green is screw holes only.

All four holes have Screws.

Since the dowels are at the bottom, water, oil, dirt, everything that get's thrown up in the area drains down.

If you need to pry at all, it should be at the bottom, where the dowels are, right near the dowels. If you pry anywhere else, you will run the risk of cracking the case.

Attachments

• Sprocket cover Back Labeled.jpg
    Sprocket cover Back Labeled.jpg
    526.2 KB · Views: 164
I'm not around the bike at the moment. But next time I am I'll try to get pics. Is there some kind of penetrant that works well on aluminum? Or does pb blaster work as well as anything?

Back
Top Bottom