Possible Engine Seizure - REBUILD THREAD: *HELP!!*

mlinder said:
Soo... is the cam "upside down"?

I thought that... But you can't physically install it like that. The shouldered bolt only fits in one hole! The female threads in the cam are different (one is threaded all the way and one has an unthreaded section) and with the cutout facing up you can only install the cam one way.... And that leaves the exhaust lobe pointing up

I'm sorry, it's been a while since I've done one, and I've done more than a few, and while I remember there's all kinds of ways to fuck the installation, I don't remember how the fucking was done, and it became kinda second nature to me so didn't have to think about the 'wrong' ways of doing it.

mlinder said:
Im sorry bud, I don't have one in front of me and I can't remember.

That's okay man.

I think I've sussed that though, and I think you may be right. I found this picture in the earlier referenced build thread that shows the sprocket the other way around:

ah999992.jpg

Which is the other way around from the way I have mine set! So, this afternoon I'm gonna try turning it around and see how it goes. The manuals don't actually state a direction which helps.

That's it for today, engine in and wired up. Tomorrow morning I'll be filling with oil and then I'll see if the bastard actually works!

*fingers crossed*

This morning, I started the bike. To say I was nervous was a fucking understatement! I was expecting nothing...I know what I'm like and normally the climax is nowhere near as great as the chase. But, a cup of tea and a strong cigarette, 2ltrs of oil and a freshly charged battery gave me this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GfwJ9YZ1fAE

Woohoo!!

Although, my joy was rather short-lived as you can see in most of the video I notice the oil pissing out of the camshaft case. Nice. But, kinda expected... the previous owner had mangled the 4 bolts that screw it down so I could only really exert a half-sensible pressure on them for fear of rounding them out. In fairness - I kinda expected that to leak but was trying my luck. I'm gonna go out and get some new ones... ones with bolt heads rather than bloody crosses. Seriously, why, Honda? Why use such breakable fixings, especially when they are torque-sensitive?!?!?

That aside, at least I now know that:

a) the engine runs!
b) the oil is pumping around (lol)
c) the drive sprocket is spinning so at least power is getting to the end of the whole thing!

So, so far, I'd say that's a success! Few niggling things to get done now but should be okay - I hope!!

Fit some cap head (Allen) screws and check the threads in the head. If they are stripped get them helicoiled. Do not over tighten them.

teazer said:
Fit some cap head (Allen) screws and check the threads in the head. If they are stripped get them helicoiled. Do not over tighten them.

The threads are fine, just the heads were a little worse for wear. I've got some M6x50mm bolts and washers that will work fine - and I'll be putting them in with my stubby wrench so I can't overdo them.

I'm gonna take a couple of nights away from it to appease the lady of the house then I'll do the top again. I think I'll put a new paper gasket in with a little smear of liquid gasket around the edge to be sure it seals this time.

I'm still impressed with myself that it even started!

Back
Top Bottom