Best Honda CB for pods

SterlingStal

Yo

I'm totally new to bikes and the forum. I have been reading up on café racers and the challenges one may encounter with a build. It seems to me that the biggest challenge is the conversion from a stock airbox to pods. That being said, can anyone give me feedback as to which Honda's work best with pods? I don't want to hear about how the stock airbox is much better - I am aware of that. Would the challenges with running pods be the same with the Honda CB550,650 and 750s? Any experience would be appreciated.

SterlingStal said:
I don't want to hear about how the stock airbox is much better - I am aware of that.

so does it really matter in that case? you're not going for performance, so which bike you choose is pretty much irrelevant

stock airbox isn't better than pods, you just need to get everything set just right. I've got my carbs jetted and tuned by someone who does it for decades and knows what he's doing and does it for the love of motorcycles instead of for his business. he had 3 days of work to get it all set to perfection but it was worth it...

just don't put pods on your bike without jetting or you're doomed to lose power.
Do it right and pods wil function as good or even better than with a stock airbox.

jungalist said:
stock airbox isn't better than pods, you just need to get everything set just right. I've got my carbs jetted and tuned by someone who does it for decades and knows what he's doing and does it for the love of motorcycles instead of for his business. he had 3 days of work to get it all set to perfection but it was worth it...

just don't put pods on your bike without jetting or you're doomed to lose power.
Do it right and pods wil function as good or even better than with a stock airbox.

Most things ive read is that, unless you are putting a fuckton of work into the motor, pods will bring you no benefits. And even if you do, stacks will again be better.

Even a properly jetted carb with pods will be about the same as the stock airbox.

I guess CrazyPJ would be better to weigh in on this though.

I'm more into the look the pods bring as opposed to performance increase/decrease. Are CV carbs easier to tune to pods than sliders? If so which year cb750's have CV carbs???

Don't have a bike yet and want to make the best buy.... So experience regarding which bikes are easy to tune to pods will be appreciated.

mlinder said:
If it's for looks, stacks look way cooler... and work better too, hey, whatdya know?

This. Stacks with a nice radius and an EXTERNAL filter looks the biz, and restrict flow less than one at the base of the stack.

Wait,you are picking out what BIKE you want based on your desire to do a bad modification solely based on looks?

Is this the point we are at in the hobby?
At least a few years ago the people jumping on the bandwagon has some "interesting" ideas.

If you are asking a question like that then I assume you don't have the skills to tune a carb, so I hope you are not cheap and willing to pay someone a day or two labor to kinda make it run.
Any bike I have seen that was "tuned" still ran like crap, but most wouldn't know a properly running engine if it hit them.

surffly said:
Wait,you are picking out what BIKE you want based on your desire to do a bad modification solely based on looks?

Is this the point we are at in the hobby?
At least a few years ago the people jumping on the bandwagon has some "interesting" ideas.

If you are asking a question like that then I assume you don't have the skills to tune a carb, so I hope you are not cheap and willing to pay someone a day or two labor to kinda make it run.
Any bike I have seen that was "tuned" still ran like crap, but most wouldn't know a properly running engine if it hit them.

Yep, this is the point at which 95% of the 'hobby' is at.

I'm trying to let go of my bewilderment over this.

"Which motorcycle is easiest to paint checkerboards on?"

Hipsters were one thing, but bad hipsters are worse.
Wonder why Google took the OP here first?.....

I hope the next question is how to mount one of those seats that doesn't look like a seat....you know a brat bike....at least that would be the current trend

mlinder said:
Yep, this is the point at which 95% of the 'hobby' is at.

I'm trying to let go of my bewilderment over this.

"Which motorcycle is easiest to paint checkerboards on?"

Paint?! You can get vinyl to make the job require almost no skill.

Someone should tell her she has a sandwich and blanket waiting for her at your house!

I recommend a BLT.

jungalist said:

I'll race you with my stock airboxed bike.

SterlingStal said:
Yo

I'm totally new to bikes and the forum. I have been reading up on café racers and the challenges one may encounter with a build. It seems to me that the biggest challenge is the conversion from a stock airbox to pods. That being said, can anyone give me feedback as to which Honda's work best with pods? I don't want to hear about how the stock airbox is much better - I am aware of that. Would the challenges with running pods be the same with the Honda CB550,650 and 750s? Any experience would be appreciated.

My suggestion is to get a CX500.

Back
Top Bottom