No power above half throttle

idles great at around 1100 rpms but does pop out of the carbs a bit. im assuming that means lean. havent messed with air screws. they are at 1.5 turns out

Std air screw setting is 1 turn. You are probably running lean at idle, don't be afraid to close them in a bit.

good to know. will adjust tomorrow and see how it goes then. does that have any effect on any throttle position off idle?

The choke lever is pretty easy to dislodge and have partially on, it happened to me several times over the 106,000+ miles I was riding mine
Have you re-set float level higher than stock?
I couldn't find any other way to lean out mid-range (except make new emulsion tubes)
If you need less than 1/2 turn on fuel screws, it's better to fit a 1/2~1 size smaller pilot jet

Oh, what model carbs dfo you have?
There were at least 3 different fitted to 550's

Mines a 77 F1 8)
I may have the modified spec written inside front cover of a manual, (got 3) will check tomorrow

that would be sweet to atleast get me in the ballpark and ready for some fine tuning. i feel like i can take these carbs apart with my eyes closed already haha

WHELP. She is running great and not fouling plugs anymore. I took her into a local dealer my fiancee dad uses. They did a compression test which came out fine and they recommended replacing the condensers. It looks like once they got hot they would create a dull spark. Swapped those out and she is running great and jetting is completely

Jayowen said:
WHELP. She is running great and not fouling plugs anymore. I took her into a local dealer my fiancee dad uses. They did a compression test which came out fine and they recommended replacing the condensers. It looks like once they got hot they would create a dull spark. Swapped those out and she is running great and jetting is completely
That's a good dealership (or at least a REAL good mechanic who knows what he's doing)
Make sure you keep supporting him 8)

This sounds similar to some shit I've been going through with my 78 550...build carbs over cleaned everything, getting slight popping fouling plugs out. got it running would shit out after a while, condensers getting hot may be it cause one of my points is arching but I haven't figured it out yet

if one of the points is arching really bad that could be it. mine arched a lot then replced the condensers and it worked fine again.

Back
Top Bottom