That'll just buff out, right? Ready to cringe

From what I can see, the entire head was made from three parts out of wax- two side sections and a center section.

Redliner said:
Ok, and those three parts were each made of the many slices that form the lines at each vein?
No, what you're seeing as slices pieced together are seams of the mold. In order to make a multiple part mold, you have to cast each individual part one at a time. You literally pour one part onto another. Often times, the "dam" to keep the casting medium into the mold is made from clay. If you don't have a tool with a precisely point edge, it will leave a slight fillet. That fillet, between two parts of the mold, becomes a raised line.

So you build one layer, add a damn and put a layer on top of that, add another damn and layer on top of that, continue until that piece is complete? And that would form the master (positive) to then pack with sand and melt the wax out to make a negative of that rear piece?

It's so confusing and wouldn't make a difference to any person in the world but I like to know. Also, look at how sloppy this head is. Looking at the 450, 750, and even the 200 Honda's, this is shameful!

The dams are for when you're casting an already complete wax positive of the one side of the head. When I say one piece, I mean the mold, not the form I'm making a mold of.

Here's is an example of a one part mold. There will be no seams in the casting:

069fe41acb534aa3c8f0c49c5753cd20.jpg

This mold I took of a Mario Bros cloud is two parts. It's not symmetrical, but the form is simple enough to find a seam with no undercuts:

16fde67aac4f10e705734524a72daa34.jpg

This is a mold a student made from a brain. It's more complex, so it required at least four parts. In truth, it should've had 6 parts:

24a084742ab3b92b7067cb6b6fc48988.jpg

And yes, as much as love Hondas, they were messy in those details- welding too. Their manufacturing base didn't really come around for our level of refinement until the 80s.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

^ Funny, I just had somebody make a comment about a DOHC 750 I was riding that somebody did a sloppy job on the welds.

I'll never understand the EXACT process used in this case, but my original point was that the "supports" for prying are actually just a part of making cast parts.

Redliner said:
... but my original point was that the "supports" for prying are actually just a part of making cast parts.

Not sure if you've covered this but the pry points are located over the casting webs on purpose because that's the strongest point to pry at.

And as far as Honda being clever with their design - try changing an oil filter on a 1st gen CRV. It's at the back of the block wedged between the motor and the firewall. If you have 7 foot long arms that are as thin as broomsticks you can get to it from under the bonnet but if you're built anywhere close to human you have to go in from underneath the vehicle and risk burning your arms on the exhaust collector. Then of course when you get it undone it pours hot oil over your face. I was pretty happy when we got rid of that car. By contrast, our Mitsubishi Outlander has the oil filter facing down right next to the sump plug. Oil change and filter done in seconds and both drain into the same container.

hillsy said:
And as far as Honda being clever with their design - try changing an oil filter on a 1st gen CRV.
By clever, you must mean smart-ass punks.

deviant said:
By clever, you must mean smart-ass punks.

Yeah - pretty much.

Then again it kinda deters people from doing it themselves and justifies more labor costs at the stealership so maybe they were thinking way ahead.

hillsy said:
And as far as Honda being clever with their design - try changing an oil filter on a 1st gen CRV. It's at the back of the block wedged between the motor and the firewall.

Honda MC is making cars now???
I'm with you, I wouldn't own a Honda automobile. I plant myself in a Toyota, Isuzu or Ford, thanks.

hillsy said:
If you have 7 foot long arms that are as thin as broomsticks you can get to it from under the bonnet but if you're built anywhere close to human you have to go in from underneath the vehicle and risk burning your arms on the exhaust collector.

Human peasant, I fail to see the flaw here

david-cross-happy-o.gif

1. Find a post seeking help
2. If you can't help, find a topic with which suits you and post about it
3. Talk shit as a means of a successful hijack

I gotta get points for something considering it was my own thread at one point

Redliner said:
1. Find a post speaking help
2. If you can't help, find a topic with which suits you and post about it
3. Talk shit as a means of a successful hijack

I gotta get points for something considering it was my own thread at one point

xlnt!

graphics-laughing-867787.gif

It's the camshaft. Flat as....... Check out the video I posted in the thread and see for yourself

Redliner said:
It's the camshaft. Flat as....... Check out the video I posted in the thread and see for yourself

what thread and what post?

what do you plan to do?

there will be a ton of metal in the oil that will be nearly impossible to get out of the engine unless you take it apart.

Ok so I warned you to be ready. When you see it, you will shlit blicks.

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByTapatalk1446088035.776765.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1446088035.776765.jpg
    678.1 KB · Views: 232
Back
Top Bottom