do a how to on using a capacitor instead of battery

jelloelstone

Been Around the Block
didnt feel like wadding through the archives but could someone do a how to on putting in a capacitor? pics or vid. i want to put one in my honda cb 125 because i hate batteries they = to much wiring issues i just want my bike to have headlight and tailight. any help would be much appriciated!

As far as I know there really isn't a "how to" to it. If your bike has a permanent magnet alternator or magneto, you just swap the battery for a capacitor. However, it'll be kick only and depending on the quality and type of the capacitor, your headlight might flicker at low rpm and the horn might sound a little wonky.

Unless you plan on getting rid of your turnsignals, gauge lights, and anything other than a headlight and taillight youll have to wire in a small battery anyway. Its easier to keep the battery. Youre not going to see less issues with a capacitor as it basically just replaces the battery. Theyre great for race bikes and stripped down choppers. If you want a fully functioning street bike that will pass inspection they arent the best idea.

I agree. As far as wiring, you'd have the same. The capacitor just allows you to make the bike kick only and get rid of the heavy battery and tray. And starter I guess, but you could do that anyway.

I just made a tray and re located all the electrical bits onto it.
not pretty but it worked

Attachments

• GEDC1715.JPG
    GEDC1715.JPG
    115.3 KB · Views: 779
Back
Top Bottom