"Woody" a '75 cb750k cafe racer woodgrain paint. Done 4/15!

Re: "Woody" a '75 cb750k cafe racer with woodgrain paint

I finished up the rearsets and went down for Charlotte mods vs. rockers this past weekend. I'm going to redo the brackets so they are in a different position... I'm tall but they do need to come forward and up just a bit more after riding a bit. I'll be pulling the motor next to go through it but unfortunately that will have to wait a few months.

971604_345628865540655_916429696_n.jpg

I didn't bring my camera with me hopefully some pictures will turn up online from the event. Here are some cell phone pictures from afterwards

20130602_102314_zps7d001c1a.jpg

20130602_102348_zps70eaaaaf.jpg

I saw this on the international motorbikes fb page. Amazing paint!

So I never really finished this bike and it has been on the backburner for over a year as I have moved, etc. The good news is I've started back on it in the last few months. I'm re-doing the wiring, hand controls, cables, clip ons, rearsets, installing a cycle-x ignition, etc. to make this the proper bike it deserves to be! I also picked up a 78 750k for a good price that I will be taking some replacement parts from. In the next few days I will post an update with some photos- more 3d printing to come ;D

Back in April I did a slight restoration on a 73 cb500 that was in parts and gave it a very mild cafe treatment by shortening the fender and changing the lights and blinkers. I was able to "save" the original candy sunset orange paint by cleaning, sanding, re-candying and clearcoating. I ended up selling it before I moved. I thought I'd share it with y'all, still.

oCWa3cr.jpg

AiUAEn7.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/V2ucQNh.jpg[/img

[img]http://i.imgur.com/58YWFRk.jpg

3HejV5Z.jpg

OhRsFK7.jpg

KC9nkvN.jpg

So some progress on woody...

I have made a new switch plate via solid modeling/3d printing. I finished it in wrinkle black. There is a headlight switch, starter button, and neutral and oil dummy lights. I've eliminated all the electrics from the handlebars for a bare bones look. I'm thinking about having the triple clamp powdercoated "chrome" along with a few other parts. Either that or polish it which is no fun.

z2Y9cEt.jpg

PJjXSvH.jpg

UBhZjSG.jpg

AnPunac.jpg

I'm assembling the new headlight from 3d printed sections and I'll be posting some photos of that shortly. It's a far prettier and stronger design than the old one.

I used to have my handle bars bare. I discovered quickly that it sucks ass not having an accessible kill switch next to the throttle. That was one of the first things I did when I changed controls, was to install a kill switch.

Here is the new headlight I made. This one uses a lexus HID projector again but has been converted to be bixenon so there is a high beam function too. the button on the top of the body is for the high beam. I embedded the mounting nuts into the sides of the housing for a more tidy look. Uses the BMW e30 ellipsoid front lens still. I printed some mounting tabs for the sides with the bolt heads recessed as well.

E5wDmC5.jpg

jDUEqis.jpg

pDcaIyB.jpg

UZBnKHO.jpg

tt5dRO2.jpg

6wLqd27.jpg

YiZpfnE.jpg

hm821yG.jpg

I switched the brake line to a stainless hose also.

viORaCY.jpg

Next I decided to make a nice molded under seat tray out of textured ABS. I used a "holding frame" with some .09" thick plastic and a male and female die to press mold it.

8zAEYoT.jpg

OoVCbvE.jpg

3TCgpHH.jpg

fZwV5HR.jpg

CCjMptm.jpg

trimmed and fitted. Not perfect but it looks great from underneath and that's all that really matters.

9ItQivT.jpg

aCqbhgG.jpg

Today I also welded on new fork stops as the tarozzis were still hitting my tank.

nZ1XEMn.jpg

Keep in mind I'm still mocking everything up. I will be taking all the bits off to powdercoat or paint etc. before it's complete. I want to take my time and build this right this go around.

so this build..and mainly paint job has blown my mind! I thought the bike looked killer in the flat black in the first few pages and was like meh the paint job cant be that cool...but holy hell when I finally got there....amazing!
Showed my family the paint and everyone's jaws dropped to the floor! now I am thinking of copying this but would feel so terrible since this is just insanely unique haha so I will leave this to be your design and yours alone as I have yet to see anything like it!
good to see you're back to working on it and I look forward to watching this one grow again!

Thank you for the compliment! If you feel bad for copying my paint scheme (which I'm glad you do- I would love for it to be the only one LOL) you could do something similar but a tad different- maybe carbon fiber, marble, brushed metal pattern? There are thousands of patterns out there for hydrographic film and some you can even design your own. I have done several items in carbon fiber and it looks great. The key with this process is to get the right base color and/or apply a candy coat on top to give it more depth. Otherwise it can appear like a cheap sticker. If you want more info on this or help you can PM me.

BrWLiUS.jpg

rXn8Adk.jpg

FGKouki said:
Thank you for the compliment! If you feel bad for copying my paint scheme (which I'm glad you do- I would love for it to be the only one LOL) you could do something similar but a tad different- maybe carbon fiber, marble, brushed metal pattern? There are thousands of patterns out there for hydrographic film and some you can even design your own. I have done several items in carbon fiber and it looks great. The key with this process is to get the right base color and/or apply a candy coat on top to give it more depth. Otherwise it can appear like a cheap sticker. If you want more info on this or help you can PM me.

BrWLiUS.jpg

rXn8Adk.jpg

Ya Ill leave it alone and let you have the glory of the wood! :p
but thanks for opening up a whole new door of ideas!

Last week I rebuilt a spare set of carbs I picked up. They were siezed and gummy. Probably 20hrs later here's what I ended up with. I'm sending the bowls to be powder coated.

ql15oR0.jpg

Next I'm tearing into the motor for a top end rebuild. The outside was very filthy and had been caked with oil and dirt. a wire brush and 6 cans of brake parts cleaner later and It's clean enough that I can take apart. I will clean it again and paint it after i sort out the top end. You can see the factory paint is flaking off in many spots

V5renM0.jpg

sKhxvT9.jpg

taking off the valve cover it appears this motor was well taken care of and has probably not been opened before.

yjTlOLU.jpg

4S1LXmR.jpg

drODsic.jpg

o3c69rN.jpg

naQK5aW.jpg

Here are some parts I'm sending out for coating

hivryo4.jpg

I'm going to painstakingly sand and polish the valvecover and side covers.

Tore it down and built it back up

fC0f1cn.jpg

etNWNKL.jpg

going back together

bR8NOmO.jpg

broke one cooling fin that I jbwelded back on :'(

xZS8XTi.jpg

etzAOUj.jpg

almost ready for a final clean and paint.

Many hours later I got everything sanded up to 800 grit ready to be polished. Some of this I did sitting naked in a bathtub (you can laugh) I had to start with a grinder on the alternator cover because it was gouged so badly!
13sCjEc.jpg

I got everything stripped down to the frame also
X5Obssx.jpg

frame needed a few last things removed in preparation for powdercoat
EmvwrVP.jpg

QSkmtR4.jpg

I will have the motor mount, swingarm, brake rod, lower triple, and kickstand powdered gloss black with the frame. I'm planning to take them all to the coater's tomorrow.

I'm expecting the frame and other bits to be done in the next couple days. While I wait for that I'm hoping to have the motor completely painted and assembled. I need to adjust the valves and paint it still. I was able to polish up the covers all the way though. By no means are they perfect, but they look a lot better.

I decided I needed to sand to 2000 grit after I wasn't getting the results I wanted on the buffer with 800 sanding marks.
ef3HskI.jpg

after polishing on the buffer and by hand i painted the relief areas black. I'm not sure if the valve covers were done like this from the factory, but I think it looks cool so they should have been.
Dyi9OJp.jpg

8wnPrSE.jpg

Got the few pieces back that my buddy powder coated "chrome". They didn't turn out superb but they look okay and for the most part any bad areas will be hidden. I hope it will compliment the polished aluminum and chrome on the rest of the bike.

CRllqmf.jpg

XLCa1zt.jpg

wgWqML2.jpg

Here is the motor painted and put back together. I went with the tried and true duplicolor aluminum engine w/ ceramic

IVwHlNm.jpg

picked up the frame and other bits from the powder coaters today too

aNE8oNX.jpg

I am brainstorming ideas for the custom points cover. I'm considering adding fins or a recessed ring around the front edge to mimic the alternator cover. Design depends a little on how I decide to paint it. I could do some combination of silver and black to match the motor or hydro dip it to match the tank and seat.

09ccEso.jpg

Hopefully somebody's still reading along. I've made some decent progress so here's an update

Got tapered bearing races installed in the neck
N9TZgfb.jpg

and bronze bushings in the swingarm
WwY6n9F.jpg

IMF5wrN.jpg

install was very easy on both of these.

one of the bolts for mounting the engine in the frame is actually a rod that's threaded on both ends to allow the foot pegs to mount. Since I've gone with rearset controls I needed to shorten this rod and make one end fixed.
GfgUCtB.jpg

cut end off
18v7NeM.jpg

drilled out a spare nut and slid it over the rod
ux335U3.jpg

welded in place, ground down and polished, and clearcoated

F5Pzts4.jpg

engine back in frame and steering stem installed with new bearings

I only took one picture here because I was all dirty and stuck in the moment, but I replaced the fork seals and fluid.
iQlBqH7.jpg

Then I got the front end back on. Hardware will be replaced with stainless once I have a full list of what I need to order
fSZqFC0.jpg

sZWqlU0.jpg

4PKrF1q.jpg

The rear end will come soon. I mounted the tire today but I'm pretty sure I pinched the tube in the process. I'm frustrated with it so I'll probably just have a local shop mount a new tube in there and balance it for me.

I am still reading...lol...it's looking great !

Back
Top Bottom