XS750 to XS896 big bore

Headers arrived today (Courier drop off Sunday!) opened the box - not my headers, doh! :mad:
I have gone with silver ceramic coating, same as the ones in the photo, https://www.jet-hot.com/.
Trust it will be sorted out tomorrow.

Attachments

• Wrong header.jpg
    Wrong header.jpg
    302.2 KB · Views: 268
Getting there, everything is here, hope to make some noise tomorrow.

Attachments

• Final assy.jpg
    Final assy.jpg
    670.8 KB · Views: 249
  • Final assy 1.jpg
    Final assy 1.jpg
    663.6 KB · Views: 252
  • Not Chrome.jpg
    Not Chrome.jpg
    518.8 KB · Views: 261
Amazing man!!!
Would it be possibly that you post some pics how you dealt with the electrics on the bike (ignition box, relays etc.) thank you!

Hey Tim, bike looks awesome, a credit to your skills.
Just a couple of questions if you don't mind. Did you end up using the battery shown on P24 and who manufactured your rear shocks?
Thanks mate.

Pete
You must have been reading my mind - I just started to find the battery details again so I could order one. I don,t have it yet, but due to the mount I made I am lock into getting it. The price is now $220 which is OK if it is as good as they say!!! First test will be with a car battery and long leads.

The shocks look like a Ohlin copy - not that they advertise as that https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/360MM-Adjustable-Rear-Shock-Absorber-For-Honda-CB750-CB1000-CB1100-CB1300-Gold/302613720305?epid=28011627718&hash=item46752eecf1:g:xBEAAOSwxg5X0ShQ.
I have no road experience yet, but they were shipped promptly, the external quality looks very good and to date all the click adjustments work. You can adjust the dampening from no effect to locked solid. I bought mine for AU$200, I see they are now back to $300.
I had a few domestic interruptions on Sunday so I did not get her fired up. Hopefully next weekend, but I will clean up the wiring a bit more as I have eliminated some original features.
Cheers
Tim

Just remembered that the top mounting bush was too small. I had to press out the bush and then bore it out on the lathe, the wall on the bush is now about 1mm thick. I knew that this was an issue when I bought them, and planned to rework the bush.

Would it be possibly that you post some pics how you dealt with the electrics on the bike (ignition box, relays etc.) thank you!
Planning to clean it up a bit more this weekend - once done I will post some photos. They are hidden in nooks and crannies, wherever I could find a spot.

Thanks Tim.
I'm not ready for a battery yet so I might wait for some feedback from you when you've installed yours, if that's OK. I'll check the shocks out for sure, they look pretty good.
Pete.

XS750AU said:
Planning to clean it up a bit more this weekend - once done I will post some photos. They are hidden in nooks and crannies, wherever I could find a spot.

sound good man thank you!

After about 40 yrs she is finally roaring again ;D
Used the battery out of the boat to start it. Initially she would not start, there was spark but the plugs were dry :mad:.
All the info I had said the floats should sit parallel to the bowl seat. When I rebuilt the carbies the floats looked wrong, so I adjusted them. Initially there were a few pops but she would not fire. So I adjusted the floats back to where they were, she immediately started - yoohoo!!! ;D.
There are a couple of issues. There is an oil leak where the oil cleaner housing meets the squash plate. The o-ring that was supplied with the filter appears too small for the groove in the oil cleaner housing. The squish plate to the engine is oil tight, as I machined that groove for the O ring! Might try to get a 4mm section O ring for the factory oil cleaner housing.
Also the starter solenoid has died after the demand of trying to start it with the wrong float height.
But she is going ;D and the carbies appear to be working well without any obvious need to rejet ;D ;D ;D
Video of her first start in 40 years https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dt3I_WWVsRw

The best thing I have done is clean up the loom using proper automotive connectors with 6.3mm spade terminals. Photos of the main electrical items are attached. The fuse box is not really hidden as you do need access, and I did not want to have to remove the seat if I blew a fuse. Battery (now ordered) is under the starter solenoid.

Attachments

• wiring before.jpg
    wiring before.jpg
    322.3 KB · Views: 259
  • wiring cleaned up.jpg
    wiring cleaned up.jpg
    316.4 KB · Views: 279
  • Hidden CDI & indicator.jpg
    Hidden CDI & indicator.jpg
    451.3 KB · Views: 242
  • Hidden solenoid & fuse box.jpg
    Hidden solenoid & fuse box.jpg
    359.3 KB · Views: 260
Spent some time today fitting the Modern Motor Cycle Company lithium battery today - at this stage it appears to work very well. Starts the bike easily.
The bike starts very easily with either electric or physical leg. ;D
Now for the bad.
[list type=decimal]
[*]There are oil leaks at the gear shift, and crank- not a big deal to fix
[*]The F&@k#*g thing is not charging. My pet hate! :mad:
[/list]
Nanno - I love that sound also. That's why I have bought 2 ;D ;D ;D

XS750AU said:
Spent some time today fitting the Modern Motor Cycle Company lithium battery today - at this stage it appears to work very well. Starts the bike easily.
The bike starts very easily with either electric or physical leg. ;D
Now for the bad.
[list type=decimal]
[*]There are oil leaks at the gear shift, and crank- not a big deal to fix
[*]The F&@k#*g thing is not charging. My pet hate! :mad:
[/list]
Nanno - I love that sound also. That's why I have bought 2 ;D ;D ;D
Ooh you got the field coil blues! I had it for years..

Back
Top Bottom