the RaZoR - move along, nothing to see here!

Re: the RaZoR - mirror! mirror!

Those are before? what kind of operation are you running here? Wheres all the damn rust?!

Fox - many apologies for the lack rust; I will try to do better next time!

The alloy parts from the donor bike aren't in great shape, maybe you will find those satisfactory.

Crazy

Look forward to seeing them, as usual. By the way, where did you get that steering damper? Looks phenomenal. Is it FZR specific?

The steering damper is from Scott's:

http://www.scottsperformance.com/

The one depicted is a new model made specifically for the '83 RZ Yamaha.

They're a magic piece of gear!

Crazy

item.JPG

Started the alloy polishing last night; tedious, but strangely satisfying!

I don't have a buffer at this stage so I am going try hand-finishing only. The plan is to use W&D in 240, 320, 400, 600 grit and, depending on how things are looking, finish with steel wool or go on to 800 and 1000 grit.

If anyone is interested I will post photos of progress at different stages.

Crazy

item.JPG

Post some pics man, I'm going to 600 w/d on most of my parts, not big fan of mirror finishes and chrome.

I'm aiming for a bright satin finish on some parts.

Apart from the frame, all other metal parts (steel and aluminium) are going to be matt finish - I need some shiny bits so its not too boring!

Crazy

wow Crazy this is one awesome build! :) How about bead blasting? Or soda blasting?
But I agree with you - those little touches of super shiny bling offset well (conceptually speaking of course).
I see you're not so bad at your photoshop and vector art too?
But back to the bike - PICS! :) Now. We demand them.

For bright satin on a race bike we use scotchbrite scourers or local equivalent and WD40 to lube it.
A scourer hides tiny scratches (or machining marks in say parts that are supposed to stay stock ahem) remarkably well and maintenance is simple and quick.

Most of the bare metal will be bead-blasted, with the bare steel finished with matt clear. The shiny bits will finished with WD40 and steel wool or Scotchbrite.

Crazy

Re: the RaZoR - seals!

Seals for the Sumitomo 4 piston front calipers arrived this morning:

item.JPG

Next to clean up the caliper castings before a rebuild.

Crazy

Re: the RaZoR - seals!

Nice. I like how you photograph your new toys Crazy. Like plastic model kit parts. :)

Re: the RaZoR - split and cleaned!

Split the calipers, pistons removed, 20-year-old crud cleaned up prior to polishing the castings:

Recto

item.JPG

Verso

item.JPG

Crazy

item.JPG

Re: the RaZoR - split and cleaned!

sweet documentation dude, I think we will all know this bike as well as you :D

Re: the RaZoR - shiny (not)!

Polishing going well, although it was some effort to get the manufacturer's logo off the sprocket cover with 120 grit. I decided to remove all company badges where it is practical to do so, as this build is such a bitsa it would be covered by a confusing array of names otherwise.

So far, after 240 and 320 grit:

item.JPG

and:

item.JPG

I left the name on the water pump cover as it will itself be covered.

Crazy

item.JPG

Nah it's not that crazy. I do alot of hand polishing too and it is much more satisfying. Most machines (dremel, die grinder, bench grinder, buffer) I've used have spun too fast and doesn't give the same finish as doing it by hand. Are you going to coat them with anything when you're done or just leave them bare?

I haven't decided about coating yet, I'm looking into various clear anodised finishes. I thinking of having the bulk of the aluminium on the bike with a bead-blasted finish and matt anodised; other parts, like the engine side covers, top steering yoke, fork lowers, brake calipers and swing-arm, polished and matt anodised.
Steel parts, like disc centres, will be bead-blasted and finished with high-temperature clear; the custom-built chambers will have a brush-finish and clear-coated.

None of this is set in stone, I will make the final decisions when I do the bikes trial assembly.

Crazy

This is looking really sweet Stroker, I get all excited when I see updates posted in my e-mail. A few things about anodizing, I know when I was working for an engineering firm we discovered that the hard anodized clear would almost come out a gunmetal color. The black would come out more of a matte/satin if parts were tumbled or brushed prior to coating. Just something to keep in mind, a lot of aluminum griddles and things are clear anodized if you need a visual of how dark the clear can become.

Back
Top Bottom