A sad day in the cafe world

bikerboy67

CL 360 build coming to a close

rebuilt the carbs, fixed the electronics all thats left is paint and minor touch ups

Started her up on the first kick :eek:
really excited to go and get my license and go out on my first ride

and i get the phone call......

the bike must be sold

by parental decree
i cannot ride the bike i've worked so hard to revive.

i can finish building and painting and perfecting
but i will never have the joy of riding this bike.

WHAT??... Parental Decree???!!...Out of the Blue..Just like that???... Did they wait till you last min to tell ya?
Ive never heard that one before!!...

Sorry to hear that dude!!...

Same roof, under 21 etc... you're SOL

Different roof... cut the cord....

Both Tim & I were faced with that... we just waited until we were out of the house ;D

sorry to hear of your situation. some of us were lucky enough to have an older brother who took all the parental flak and wore them down.

i am out of their house.......

but they're helping me pay for college and paying my health insurance

my dad was all for it (thats how i got the bike)

but my mom would nag everytime i brought it up and i guess she finally wore him down to make me get rid of it.

so, until i graduate.....no more bikes :-[

Don't sell it - put it away and keep tinkering on it till you graduate.

So why not just keep it but not ride it til you graduate? Tell them it would be an ideal vehicle to start out life with. They expect gas to nearly double in price by next year, so having a little 360 would be cheap compared to anything else. Do they have a reason they don't want you riding? My mom kept telling me I was crazy for building my first bike, but she didn't stand a chance cuz my dad had one. Mothers just worry too much. Honestly, how much trouble could you get into with a 360?

i don't have the title....

my dad knows the guy who still has it and when he gets it, it goes in his name not mine
and if my dad gave it to me and i wrecked an broke my neck,
he would never hear the end of it from my mother and grandparents :p

i've been trying every way possible.....great gas milage, great college vehicle, i only drive it 5 miles a day..blah blah blah
still no go

i'm still fighting but it don't look good

i do plan on perfecting it so i can get top dollar for it if i do sell or trade it

bikerboy67 said:
i don't have the title....

my dad knows the guy who still has it and when he gets it, it goes in his name not mine
and if my dad gave it to me and i wrecked an broke my neck,
he would never hear the end of it from my mother and grandparents :p

i've been trying every way possible.....great gas milage, great college vehicle, i only drive it 5 miles a day..blah blah blah
still no go

i'm still fighting but it don't look good

i do plan on perfecting it so i can get top dollar for it if i do sell or trade it

SorryLife to short!!! Grow some BALLS and tell them toF*^%@K off MY 2cents

If you are a starving student focused on your bike , that is less time focusing on booze, dope, and women. No doubt your parents worry about that too!

See your problem... but quietly mention to dear ol'dad that the title will make an awesome grad present when you get to the end of this road in your life ;D

CanadaDan said:
See your problem... but quietly mention to dear ol'dad that the title will make an awesome grad present when you get to the end of this road in your life ;D

That sounds like a good one to me!
hah

It's too bad you can't just take the time to do a complete nut and bolt rebuild on it... Not gonna break your neck doin that!

i say stash it... offer a friend a few bucks/beer/handywork? im in college, and i love having a bike. i can get around the city, park almost anywhere i want, and it beats the hell out of my Crown victoria on gas. i would use the gas argument to persuade the p-unit.

It's that kind of ignorant, imperious, heavy handed "my way or the highway" bullshit that drove me up a wall. Luckily, my mom wasn't phobic about motorcycles, believed in my skills and judgement and got me a YZ-80 for xmas when I was 8 years old. I've been riding 33 years now, and I haven't been killed yet.

Want my advice? I think it's time for you to step up to another level a maturity. Take your dad out for a hamburger and have a man to man talk with him.

It comes down to common sense. Your mom is terrified of motorcycles. Fear is caused by ignorance and education defeats fear. I don't want to say bad things about your parents, but they just don't get it. Your mom's misconceptions are partly caused by the media's representation of motorcycles and motorcyclists. The media's job is to sensationalize everything in the hopes of greater ratings and market share because that's where the money is. It's just not true. You should study this as much as possible so you can quote statistics.

If I were in your position, I'd probably move out. That's me, though.

Wow,so riding a bike is SOOO dangerous that your parents are using MONEY as a tool to keep you from doing what you want to do with YOUR life?

There are a thousand ways to die in this world and yes on a motorcycle can be one of them,but are your parents stopping you from driving a car,riding a mountain bike,skateboarding,walking across a street,sitting down in a restaurant,shopping at a mall,flying in a airplane,sitting in class at school? People die or are murdered every day doing those exact same things.

Seriously,so the line that is being drawn that will insure your future physical well being and keeping their "Little Boy" safe from all the evil things in the world that could cause you harm is a....a....MOTORCYCLE! ::)

My father and I had this discussion after he saw me riding a friends dirt bike(after he told me "No motorcycle riding,you'll get hurt"!). That was when I was.....THIRTEEN years old and even he saw how much it meant to me to want to ride with my friends. About two months later HE bought me a old beat up Yamaha JT1 Enduro and I rode the dog shit out of that little bike and have owned at least one motorcycle since then for most of my life,I'm forty-two now so,do the math. ;)

If this sounds harsh then GOOD,it's meant to be! If your over eighteen years old the law considers you to be an ADULT. Theres a good reason for that. It's because you ARE an adult now and adults think,act,make decisions for themselves. They also take full ownership of any and all consequences stemming from those decisions even if they are right or wrong.

Are you so much of a F@#K up in your parents eyes that they can't even trust you not to kill yourself or be killed by riding a bike? Oh..I know it's the OTHER drivers out there that are going to take you away from them right? Well,let it be known that ...riding a motorcycle in traffic CAN BE dangerous,so is taking too big a bite out of a Ball Park Frank and choking on it.

It's all in the risks you yourself are willing to accept in order to live your life. Personally,I take small bites and chew my food for a while before a swallow it,but damn if I bite the BIG ONE while riding my bike I'd rather go out that way if given the choice!

You're in a tough spot!

I faced the same situation when I was your age. I sucked it up and did what my folks requested. I didn't like it, but I didn't want to rock the boat to the point of tipping it!

Only you can decide which way to go with this one! You know your parents better than we ever could. If you go against them now you could open up a wound that might be very difficult to heal. You don't really want to pit your dad against your mom either! That could cause you to loose the favor of your dad!

Being a parent is a tough job! Sometimes you have to make decisions that upset the ones you love most! You do the best you can with what you have!

In my case, delaying the joy of riding my own bike was hard, but it only made it more sweet when I finally got my own ride! I'll never forget that day!

Good luck!

Drewski (31yrs riding and the father of 2 married boys, one of whom rides!)

Back
Top Bottom