XS 650 differences

rewindstuff

does anyone know if they changed the motor design at all for the xs650's from early 70's to the early 80's? if you DO know, do you also know what the difference between the "special" models and the "standard" models are?

The short answer is yes. There is a difference in some of the internals on the earlier "256" motors and the later "447" motors. If memory serves the change was after the 1973 model year. I have the info. somewhere- will try to dig it up. There were also running changes made along the way, like removal of the compression release (that's why one tappet cover is different than the other three). change from BS38 to BS34 carbs, adding electric starter, electronic ignition, etc. And as Yinz pointed out there where standards and specials. Here's a few good resources:

http://www.xs650.com/tech.php

http://www.mikesxs.net/

http://xs650temp.proboards.com/index.cgi

Matt

The later 447 engines (i.e. the serial number of the engines all start with 447 and begin in 1973 I think) are all common. There are some slight differences as mentioned like the electronic ignition, but that for example was added by putting magnets in the rotor, and the hall sensor on the stator. You can use a 1983 rotor with those little magnets on a 1975 engine that has points ignition no problem.

So bottom line is 99.99% of the engine parts are compatible across all 447 engines. One year had a single inlet breather apparatus, some years had a '650' emblem on the points covers, some had an oil sight glass on the clutch side cover... but all compatible back and forth.

Standard and Specials were just cosmetic - wheels, side covers, seats etc. Some had disc brakes so there are brackets on the frame for master cylinders etc. 1973 onward frames are slightly different than 1971-72 and the front ends are not compatible across the break.

In 1976 I think they went from 34 to 35mm front forks. You can swap the entire front end from a 1977 bike onto a 1975 to get the 35mm forks, but not onto a 1972 frame without serious triple tree work.

As years went on they kept adding more 'junk' like sensors on the kickstand to keep you from making a fool out of yourself.

Thanks Tim. Killer. I haver a 1980 "special" and I'm mainly trying to get some new exhaust after I detab the frame. I don't mind welding on new brackets for a new exhaust as long as the only difference in the models is merely cosmetic. I'm looking to rat/brat/caf/track this thing out. It's gonna be a frankenstein and I was a little freaked out when mikesxs was talking in descriptions about some exhausts being only compatible with the standards NOT the specials. BUT i assume that just for geezers who want to keep everything stock and make it look like it did when it came off the showroom floor...

I have an XS500 as well and I'm pretty sure most of the chassis from it will interchange nicely on the 650 (although the 500 kicks ass and is in way better shape right now than my 650)

I'm sure there are others here but I'll chime in as well . I have the XS affliction as well . If you check back past my giving VonYinzer , and others a bad time you may find an interesting tidbit or three . There was a time when I regularly turned the XS cases into junk in search of just one more HP ...

~kop

Back
Top Bottom