CB100/125 Big Bore Old Skool Cafe Road Racer Build

jpmobius said:
Some nice work there. Especially like the eccentric peddle adjuster - often overlooked. I often bore a hole axially through the threaded section of a stainless bolt and silver solder the cable to it. Stronger than the cable itself, and makes a handy adjustment to the cable length when you don't want to have the adjustment at the housing as you have nicely done.
That's a good idea.

The eccentric pedal adjuster was the tidiest way I could think of adjust the pedal height with as little work as possible.

Saw the thread on your RD. One beautiful Yammy!

der_nanno said:
That's some nice milling work you do with that mini mill!
Thanks

I would be lost without my mini mill and lathe. I have spent quite a bit of time setting the mill up and adding bracing to stiffen the whole setup. By far the best addition was digital readouts as they add a higher level of accuracy with ease. It is nice to be able to make two components that fit together perfectly without constant adjustments.

Attachments

• MiniMill.jpg
    MiniMill.jpg
    187.9 KB · Views: 327
Couldn't agree more, I am running a "slightly" larger round-column RF-25, but even though bigger, the minimill with its dove-tailed spine is way superior. (I should have kept mine and converted it to a CNC-machine, but you know how it goes...)

it's getting close now to finishing the final dry assembly. Only a couple of things left then strip back down to finish all the parts off

Attachments

• IMG_5419.jpg
    IMG_5419.jpg
    260.7 KB · Views: 330
  • IMG_5421.jpg
    IMG_5421.jpg
    217.4 KB · Views: 564
  • IMG_5422.jpg
    IMG_5422.jpg
    148.9 KB · Views: 312
  • IMG_5424.jpg
    IMG_5424.jpg
    263 KB · Views: 311
  • IMG_5426.jpg
    IMG_5426.jpg
    238.5 KB · Views: 313
She Lives!!

Today I got my little racer running for the first time. After a quick couple of runs I took this short video.

The carb is a little rich just off idle but I won't both tuning until the air filter is fitted.

The gearing is quite high but she revs out nicely. Going to be one fun suburb blaster.

https://youtu.be/DUr1dEmUmN8

canyoncarver said:
Sounds great, that's gonna be a fun bike. Now, about that FZR I saw in the video....
It sure is going to be a fun little bike to scoot around on. The FZR you saw is actually an original first gen Honda CBR900 Fireblade. A huge lot of fun that one is!

Attachments

• 20150221_133337.jpg
    20150221_133337.jpg
    518.4 KB · Views: 290
Today I finished off connecting the Velona speedo with the pickup on the front sprocket bolts, connected the indicator and high beam instrument lights then tidied up all the welds on the seat tail piece including rounding everything off. Once last walk around with her running before stripping down to paint then final reassemble.

The last couple of days was spent making the pod air filter casing. It is a requirement for registration here in NSW Australia, no exposed pod air filters allowed.

https://youtu.be/KNdwBhkxdak

kittykatjaz said:
It sure is going to be a fun little bike to scoot around on. The FZR you saw is actually an original first gen Honda CBR900 Fireblade. A huge lot of fun that one is!

Ah, the quick glance had me fooled. Great CBR too. Your work has me wanting the benchtop style machining setup. Great work on the little cafe!

My little racer has for the most part gone as far as I can go. All that is left is to make the seat pan and have it upholstered. I will make the pan tomorrow then off to the motor trimmers as it is the only thing I cannot do.

With luck it will be finished this week then off for a full check and if all goes well registration.

Out of all the aluminium work that I did the hardest part was the front guard. The tank has some ripples in it which are noticeable now as I decided to polish not paint. Still I am pleased considering this is the only fuel tank I have ever made.

Now just can't wait for rego so I can ride her.

Oh her name is Pirate Kitty!

Attachments

• IMG_5576.jpg
    IMG_5576.jpg
    143.7 KB · Views: 291
  • IMG_5553.jpg
    IMG_5553.jpg
    297.3 KB · Views: 292
  • IMG_5550.jpg
    IMG_5550.jpg
    256.9 KB · Views: 286
  • IMG_5561.jpg
    IMG_5561.jpg
    212.2 KB · Views: 291
  • IMG_5555.jpg
    IMG_5555.jpg
    202.2 KB · Views: 299
That intake turned out really well, it looks like it should have enough length to avoid any major tuning issues

coyote13 said:
That intake turned out really well, it looks like it should have enough length to avoid any major tuning issues
Its actually a pain to tune. I have been mucking around with it all day have found it easier tune with the foam uni filter pod straight on the back of the carb. I am going to order a couple of needles and selection of main jets and keep persisting.

Well I have 250km's clocked up on Pirate Kitty and she is a treat. Such a nimble little girl on the bends and as light as a feather. The Mikuni VM28 tuning is close now, still a little rich on the top end of the mid range. Revs out and can reach 80 kph (50mph) in second gear. Little sluggish at low revs but I can live with that.

Attachments

• IMG_5636.jpg
    IMG_5636.jpg
    147.4 KB · Views: 282
That is a slick little bike man. I love the metal work.. did you do it yourself?

kittykatjaz said:
The Mikuni VM28 tuning is close now

I guess I assumed you were running the stock carb, you should be ok with just a filter directly on that VM. Sounds like you've got it pretty close as-is though

Luugo86 said:
That is a slick little bike man. I love the metal work.. did you do it yourself?
Thanks and yes, did everything except the seat upholstery. I chose to make a lot of parts instead of purchasing so that way they would fit perfectly and suit the idea of what I wanted.

Back
Top Bottom