my first project, 1978 kz 400 (now with 440 bits)

Re: my first project, 1978 kz 400

joeyputt said:
Brother I can really appreciate how much hard work you have put into your 400, she looks really nice and I love the single carburetor!
Thanks man, I have really enjoyed working on this bike even though its been frustrating at times. the current snag is the oil shift seal I replaced two months ago is now leaking again :eek: but i guess I have all winter to fix it now

Re: my first project, 1978 kz 400

ok here's some pics of how she currently sits

Old displacement
374313_662206241871_65000676_33372915_1674840652_n.jpg

new displacement 45cc's of bad ass lol
319162_662206426501_65000676_33372916_1783254803_n.jpg

New head, decided to make up some studs for the intake to prevent striping out threads like the the last owner did to the original one
320812_662206611131_65000676_33372918_2028582744_n.jpg

new dcc bar end mirrors and rebuilt honda master cylinder, looks way cleaner imo
311901_662206680991_65000676_33372919_1924584676_n.jpg

And here is my current source of anger and frustration, the shift seal I replaced two months ago leaks
307722_662206536281_65000676_33372917_359978919_n.jpg

Looking really good besides that shift seal. I particularly like the stripe on the tank, looks great. In fact it's given me some ideas to play around with on my own bike, and see what works. Also, more displacement is never a bad thing.

Thanks man, trust me when I say it takes a way better picture then it looks in person lol. the paint job was just a quick rattle can job cause I wanted it titled and registered as white. It will be re sprayed this winter along with the frame and everything else as soon as I get then mechanical issues worked out. And the stripe I had envisioned when I first saw the bike haha going to add something more to either the side covers or the side of the tank to break it up a little

Hey...just a thought...but that shift seal looks like it's seated crooked...Notice the bottom where the oil is weeping from has a MM or so and the top and right seem to be more closer to flush with the outside of it... or at least that's what I see in the pic, could just be the angle...

It's leaking around the shaft itself not the outside of the seal, the seal sits in a grove in the case so the case has to be split to change it. thanks for looking out though haha

haha i wish, thanks though. Brainstorming up some possible fixes, think I got a good idea of what to do just need to find a few things to make it work. After this gets fixed its on to the carb issues then its time to get a good paint job and polishing stuff up.

Well got my bike and my buddys bikes moved into the new shop, getting everything organized to get back to work on it. here is a couple of shots of the bike in their new home
IMG_20120116_204401.jpg

IMG_20120116_205027.jpg

All kawi for no, soon to be joined by a jawa 125, xs650, and benelli mini bike as soon as we can dig them out of my buddy's grampa's basement

Big-D said:
Nice set of bikes there
thanks man, hope to get back on it and find a solution for my leaking issue. Once that's sorted it'll be time for a new carb (going back to two possibly?) then some fresh paint.

Swivel said:
Is that finishing school or "Finishing school"?Do you live in the Hamptons?

Haha definitely don't live in the hamptons, finishing school as in got my degree and am done with school.

Well work on the bike came to a stand still this winter after moving but starting to get back into it, almost have a solution to my oil leaking problem figured out. I'll post up the fix if it works, then if the works out its on to the carb and paint.

hey man, i came to check out your bike after you commented on my thread. i love it! the mono carb setup is a cool idea, i've never seen that done on a twin. how's it working for you? also, that new seat looks SO much better, it really gives the bike a nice look. keep updating, i'm excited to see what happens, especially with paint!

7aliveatlast7 said:
hey man, i came to check out your bike after you commented on my thread. i love it! the mono carb setup is a cool idea, i've never seen that done on a twin. how's it working for you? also, that new seat looks SO much better, it really gives the bike a nice look. keep updating, i'm excited to see what happens, especially with paint!

Thanks man, the single carb is so much simpler, there is a kawi twin owners forum where I got the idea from and alot of guys run them. My carb is old and the slide likes to stick a little so I'll be replacing it probably with either a vm or tm mikuni before to long. got some work to finish on my car before I get back on the bike though.

Shermanator86 said:
Thanks man, the single carb is so much simpler, there is a kawi twin owners forum where I got the idea from and alot of guys run them. My carb is old and the slide likes to stick a little so I'll be replacing it probably with either a vm or tm mikuni before to long. got some work to finish on my car before I get back on the bike though.

i may have to give the single carb a try someday! also, i was at my parent's today messing around in the garage and i took a look at those forks for you. they look to be in good shape, but i forgot to take a camera, so i'll have to get pics of them later this weekend for you.

7aliveatlast7 said:
i may have to give the single carb a try someday! also, i was at my parent's today messing around in the garage and i took a look at those forks for you. they look to be in good shape, but i forgot to take a camera, so i'll have to get pics of them later this weekend for you.
Cool man, just let me know.

alrighty, snapped a bunch of pics for ya. the only marks on the fork tubes were left by the yokes and are easily removable. i was able to scratch through them with my thumbnail, so they are not permanent. other than that, the only problems are a single crack in each of the dust covers, and there are caps for the tops of the tubes and one is missing. lastly, i know i have the triples somewhere, i just wasn't able to find them tonight. i didn't go crazy looking since i wasn't sure if you needed them or not, but if you do, i'm sure i can find them. ok, on to the pics. enjoy!

403064041.jpg

403064042.jpg

403064043.jpg

403064044.jpg

403064045.jpg

403064046.jpg

403064047.jpg

7aliveatlast7 said:
alrighty, snapped a bunch of pics for ya. the only marks on the fork tubes were left by the yokes and are easily removable. i was able to scratch through them with my thumbnail, so they are not permanent. other than that, the only problems are a single crack in each of the dust covers, and there are caps for the tops of the tubes and one is missing. lastly, i know i have the triples somewhere, i just wasn't able to find them tonight. i didn't go crazy looking since i wasn't sure if you needed them or not, but if you do, i'm sure i can find them. ok, on to the pics. enjoy!

Awesome man, I don't know if you are in a hurry to unload them or not but I am definitively interested in them it just might be a few weeks before I can get them had some unexpected expenses pop up this month. And I would just need the forks my inter tubes are the problem with mine as they are pitted pretty badly above the fork seals, the work fine just look like crap.

no rush at all, they've just been sitting in my parents garage attic ever since i put the usd's on my kz. and there they will sit until you're ready, haha.

Back
Top Bottom