"Tangerine Dream" / Glemseck - KZ750

Each to his own eh Spotty ;)

PJ - the Lemon did look better with the Black suede seat [ and the stainless ], unfortunately there are no pix of the "finished" bike.

In fact it was only 99% finished when it went - the Danish bloke saw some pix in a club mag and bought it there and then as a part finished project !

The seat went out separately, as it was still at the trimmers having the Black suede cover fitted - so I never saw the effect.

Despite the bloke telling he would keep in touch - he didn't ! The bike did appear in some European mags I was told - the guy claiming "he built it" !

I can ASSURE you guys the KZ will not be so Red ! ;D

Final mounting brackets for the belly pan / fuel cell virtually completed. We decided they needed to be quite beefy due to the weight of the fuel etc.

I also decided that the fuel fittings might be vulnerable in the event of a rear tyre blow out / rocks, so the pate turine volunteered to be cut up - as it was just the right shape ! 8)

Rear brake torque rod checked and POC unit made up.

The rear sets assy's WILL have to be re-sited, so it will be more CAD [ Cardboard Aided Design ] to design suitable brackets / plates.

The it's down to the last 10% detailing small brackets etc ...... which as we all know take up 90% of the time !! ;)

Attachments

• IMG_1987.JPG
    IMG_1987.JPG
    53.9 KB · Views: 831
  • IMG_1982.JPG
    IMG_1982.JPG
    56.1 KB · Views: 830
  • IMG_1985.JPG
    IMG_1985.JPG
    45.1 KB · Views: 843
Front wheel mounted - spot on. I'll get the spacer sleeved passivated later when the bikes ready for paint.

Headers now fettled - thanx to my pal Brian. Hope to have the guy round to tack them next week - then off for welding.

Amazing - the list of jobs to do seems to be growing by the day. ::)

Attachments

• IMG_1991.JPG
    IMG_1991.JPG
    67.1 KB · Views: 829
  • IMG_1989.JPG
    IMG_1989.JPG
    41.5 KB · Views: 885
Looks like positive progress despite the growing 'to do' list....always the way I reckon.

Exhaust looks ace.

Funny, you using a pate dish as I've kept back two stainless saucepans as the finish is excellent and the curved shape could be very useful.

NoRiders said:
Looks like positive progress despite the growing 'to do' list....always the way I reckon.

Exhaust looks ace.

Funny, you using a pate dish as I've kept back two stainless saucepans as the finish is excellent and the curved shape could be very useful.

Thanx for the kind words NR ........... the exhaust was giving me a big headache trying to get the aesthetics right. Not helped by the fact I am not a welder ! Originally I was trying to get the right hand pipe up higher to run parallel with the ports, then dive down to meet the left hand pipe. I think this is the best compromise between looks and function.
In the replica car industry we had a saying "It's the last 10% that takes 90% of the time" ! Not strictly accurate - but that's what it seems like. That's why I always tried to talk customers into having a rolling / running chassis kit and let them do wiring, upholstery, paint, etc.

AMAZING WHAT YOU CAN RE-CYCLE ! Just a bit of lateral thinking required. I've got some exhaust can clamps ... ideal for holding the NOS bottle.

Once the headers / exhaust are finished, I'll really feel like I'm on the home stretch. ALL the other jobs I can do myself with Brian's help. There will be the odd bracket, spacer whatever - but my tame machine shop guy is happy to do them.

Then there's is the small matter of the engine !!!! And Over the winter working on the Turbo version.

NR - decided the headers didn't look right [??]

Check this layout ... nice and parallel to the frame and ground, nicer sweep down into the left hand pipe.

Brian's not impressed, he's got to dress the tubing again !! ........... only going to do it once, has to be right. ;)

Ohh ... apart from the turbo exhaust for the Mk2 engine !!.

Attachments

• KZ mock up exhaust 28th MArch 2018 009.jpg
    KZ mock up exhaust 28th MArch 2018 009.jpg
    606.3 KB · Views: 215
  • KZ mock up exhaust 28th MArch 2018 001.jpg
    KZ mock up exhaust 28th MArch 2018 001.jpg
    152.4 KB · Views: 220
  • KZ mock up exhaust 28th MArch 2018 007.jpg
    KZ mock up exhaust 28th MArch 2018 007.jpg
    609.3 KB · Views: 212
canyoncarver said:
Beautiful curves.

As the Archbishop said to the Actress !!! Thanx CC.

You have to imagine the crossover pipe closer to the frame tube [ left bike side ]. IOW - parallel to the frame tubes, which makes the curve where it dives into the lower pipe a little more sweeping. The blue masking tape wasn't holding up very well and the weight of the pipe was dragging it out of place ! But you get the idea. Also makes the curve into the collector more "sinuous".

I don't think we did too bad considering we started out with a bunch of pre-bent tubes and an aftermarket car collector and some masking tape !

The Turbo set up will be virtually identical, except the collector will go INSIDE the frame to pick up with the Turbo inlet. I already mocked it up last year when I was trying to decide between blower or turbo !

BSA steering dampener modded and pattern lower mount made. All works fine and looks much more "period" than a hydraulic unit. Better pic of top wing nut [ Manx ] coming.

Attachments

• kz steering damper.jpg
    kz steering damper.jpg
    131.4 KB · Views: 212
  • kz steering damper 010.jpg
    kz steering damper 010.jpg
    673.6 KB · Views: 217
  • kz steering damper 009.jpg
    kz steering damper 009.jpg
    564.5 KB · Views: 220
Re: "Tangerine Dream" / Glemseck - KZ750

Lovely. I need a new one of those. How much did it set you back?

Hi Brodie,

I'll get the link for you. They are all sorts of SILLY prices, but I got mine for under £40. I'll check exactly. Probably find them on Chinabay !!

Better pic of the 50 year old Manx wing nut I adapted. And also for the lower assembly - for those not familiar with 30's / 50's technology !!! PS - I have ONE more wing nut on my office shelf !!!!

Before anyone mentions the bottom stem seal [ !! ] there's a complete new bearing assembly going in !

Also front wheel spindle mods completed - wheel spot on central ! And yes, will be cotter pinned / wired.

Attachments

• IMG_1998.JPG
    IMG_1998.JPG
    31.4 KB · Views: 731
  • IMG_2001.JPG
    IMG_2001.JPG
    40.1 KB · Views: 741
  • IMG_2002.JPG
    IMG_2002.JPG
    46.1 KB · Views: 723
  • IMG_1997.JPG
    IMG_1997.JPG
    26.3 KB · Views: 739
Hey Brodie,

here's the link for the BSA repro damper ass'y.

I paid £30.35 + postage.

I'm certain this is a Chinabay item - might be worth trying out Alibaba. Quality is reasonable - and it works !

Re: "Tangerine Dream" / Glemseck - KZ750

Thanks TJ. I will have a look once I get home.

+20% uprated clutch springs available soon.

Made from Swedish steel to the same specs as our [ RAM ] BMW stuff.

Just waiting for all the costs to come in. Minimum order is 100 springs [20 bike's worth ] need to find if they cross ref: with anything else.

Prices available soon.

Also jigs now made for long and short Weber 40DCOE manifolds and twin plug heads. 8)

Attachments

• kz clutch springs 002.jpg
    kz clutch springs 002.jpg
    682.1 KB · Views: 223
irk miller said:
Much interest.

Irk,

I got involved with developing uprated progressive fork springs for my BMW Kay projects about 12 years ago. They've been selling via RAM successfully and used in many race winning bikes since. In fact we just shipped out 40 to a distributor. I've also developed clutch springs for a number of applications - but of course the KZ750 twin is pure self indulgence ! Of course in choosing a "path less trodden" with the KZ, there is not much commercial potential, and so the manufacturing numbers will be low.

As for the Weber conversion - I used them successfully in the 60's on various Triumph race [ and a couple of road ] bikes. You have the simplicity of a single unit to tune with the benefit of 1 choke per cylinder. Fortunately for us [ bikers ] , we have a start point inasmuch as various hi-perfprmance cars of the 60's used these instruments. Example - 1500 Ford 2 x 40DCOE = 750cc per carb ! Granted it's only a start point, but in the ball park. and Webers are a piece of piss to tune.

I enjoy the engineering / development challenge as much as anything.

Incidentally - this was my "POC" set up !!!!!!!!! :eek:

Attachments

• 7073_544a173a24c25.jpg
    7073_544a173a24c25.jpg
    75.9 KB · Views: 741
  • 7073_544a175d922fb (2).jpg
    7073_544a175d922fb (2).jpg
    982.1 KB · Views: 225
  • fjydfjdfjdfjd.jpg
    fjydfjdfjdfjd.jpg
    175.8 KB · Views: 770
Prices now in for the springs

£24 / set [ x 5 ] retail
£17 / set Club and casual trade

10 sets now pre-ordered in Germany and 5 sets in the UK.

Also - More good news - there might be a "plan B" for the Hi-Po studs / nuts.

The company that makes the high performance studs for the RAM C Type Jaguar replicas says he can make our studs to the same specs as the APE items.

I have sent him the details to get a price based on 80 [ 10 x sets ]. This is the minimum quantity to get a good price.

The VERY good news is that they are manufactured here in the UK ...... no silly carriage costs, no VAT and no customs duty for UK /EU customers ! That will save approximately 40% on the costs. AND they will be available to call off with a 2 week lead time.

progress - after a 2 week chill break in Alsace.

The clutch springs are away for gold passivating - having difficulty finding a cross ref: for other makes, but I'll get there.

On the Hi-Po stud side ... if any of you guys out there want to deal direct with APE, I'll give you my contact there. He WILL make up the correct length studs.

In the meantime I have had studs commissioned in the UK by the guy that used to make my Ford and Chevy performance stuff.

A set [ Gold passivated ] for the KZ750 twin will be £78.00 that's 8 studs and nuts.

And finally, progress on the bike !!!! A pal came round tonight and tacked the exhaust up so that it could be taken off to be sent out for welding / polishing. Looks the biz.

Not much progress - I've been prepping my eldest daughter's house ready for when she has major ankle reconstruction next week. Been getting the house "mobility" friendly as she lives on her own. The reconstruction is due to a botched broken ankle surgery 20 years ago. :mad:

Oh well. The 20% uprated clutch springs are now available for the KZ 750 twin and I'm trying to cross ref: them for other bikes. The studs will be ready over Christmas ready for passivating.

Been stalled on the exhaust welding - several let downs................ ::)

Back
Top Bottom