CB550F LGC Rear Set Mounting

sohc_this

Hi guys,

Brand new to the site and this is my first build, a 75 CB550F. I had planned on getting my rear sets done by Dustin Kott with a plate mount. Unfortunately this is no longer an option and I opted for Loaded Gun Custom rear sets. I plan on ordering the DCC linkage kit, with the misc parts from Fast From the Past. Only problem is, of course I've grinded off the passenger peg mounts. Any help or links to other 550F builds that experienced the same problem would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Ryan

I am going through the same scenario. The issue with the 550F is that because the 4-1 exhaust ran tight on the rt side of the frame the brake spline/shaft protrudes an 1" or 2" further out than the 550K because the pedal had to clear it.

If you intend to keep the stock brake spline setup, consider that if your rearsets are mounted to tabs on the frame the linkage will have a significant kink bent outward to clear the distance to the spline. OR the rearsets themselves will need to be significantly offset from the frame (will look strange imo). The benefit of this is that you can return to stock exhaust and pedal if you decide to use aftermarket pipes.

I wanted to use the the stock exhaust with rearsets but was too tall (im 6'1). Depending on your height you might be able to mount the rearsets high enough without being crunched up that the pedal can clear with enough travel that avoid the exhaust when you press down.

I cut off the stock spline mount and intend to mount the rearsets lower on the frame somewhere closer to the spline area, and actuate the rear brake using a cable similar the the earlier front drum brake setups.

Another alternative would be to use a bracket mount like the one cognito moto sells (with and without versions for keeping the spline linkage) but youll have that major kink in the linkage if you keep the stock spline. i have heard is undesirable compared to a straight linkage setup because the compression and tension forces exerted on it are more likely to deform a bent setup.

Hi, wondering how you solved this and if you've got pics. I have the same bike. It also looks like Kott is selling the rearsets again.

I've still got the passenger peg loops on the bike and can weld tabs if needed. Want to get this all straight before refinishing the frame.

Sent from my GT-N5110 using Tapatalk

I mounted mine like this, works wonderfully.

20150904_173748_zpsna9tyuew.jpg

20150904_173757_zpsg7xcbj2l.jpg

Thanks J-Rod, any shots of the brake side? My problem is the CB550F brake spline hole sits out about 2" from the frame, making rearsets that use the stock 90 degree actuator tough. I've seen some guys flip the rear hub actuator arm 180 degrees pointing upwards, and attach the connecting rod directly to the top of the rearset pivot. I've also seen guys unable to do that based on shock clearance. Hope all this makes sense! In any case, can you show the brake side? Thanks!

This is the best image I could find on the web, the builder used Kott's rearsets, mounted inside the passenger peg loops. He's using the stock brake spline and it all looks good. Maybe I just go to Kott and buy his set. I can weld tabs, and still have the passenger loops on the frame I de-tabbed. Just want to make sure the angles and clearances work. I'm actually on the fence between making a brat and keeping the original shift and brake control positions or a cafe and rearsets. My goal is for a well performing bike clean looking bike (as opposed to a cool art piece).

Attachments

• DSC_0209edited.jpg
    DSC_0209edited.jpg
    430.1 KB · Views: 1,021
I'm hooked up to a master on this bike. Last 500 I did, I set up with a cable.

The sets I send out, hook to the stock brake shaft. I don't know if the LGC sets are indexable like mine so you can fiddle with toe peg location and move around the piece that connects to the linkage.

Thanks J-Rod, didn't realize you sold these (I'm new here!). Checked out your site and the looked at the CB550F rearsets, they look nice.

I see the setup and how it connects with the existing brake spline, where do folks typically bolt the pegs to? Passenger loop or weld in a new location? The pic you showed of the shifter side looks like it was welded in.

Thanks!

That is my personal bike. Those lugs are welded in.

Most people lace them to the passenger pegs, or fab a bracket to lace them to.

Back
Top Bottom