Virago 750 rear sets

Shep220

Anyone here have a xv750 they've put rear sets on? I bought the rear set and linkage kit from Dime City Cycles but it's not looking like I'm a knowledgable guy to figure this out I just need some instruction here and where to start. I kind of think I have it figured out? Maybe? Here's some pictures of what I have, do I need to get longer all-thread and reverse that link on my rear brake? Or would that reverse my function on my brake pedal? Any help would be very much so appreciated.

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByTapatalk1429386154.418874.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1429386154.418874.jpg
    247.9 KB · Views: 3,736
  • ImageUploadedByTapatalk1429386171.268538.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1429386171.268538.jpg
    252.7 KB · Views: 2,999
and THAT my good man is the million dollar question.

Next up, What to do when the pedal hits the pipe?

Figure those two issues out and you will be the hero.

I do know on my Honda, flipping to work backwards is an option. Its on an eccentric and works both directions. I dont know how yours is set up. Just take the rear brake apart and check things out.

But seriously, bending the rod to clear "stuff" wont work. The bends will just flex and absorb any pressure you apply.

I modified the stock linkage to work w my rearsets. But, not much braking power doing it that way, either.

Others adapt a cable system. Not sure how effective it is.

That cable system works well, but it's a lot of work to engineer. The catch with the flipping the brake arm- usually the knurls don't go all the way around so the arm is always put on in its "proper" orientation. You'd have to open the drum and flip it all, if that's possible. Is there a way to link the rear set to the stock mechanism? Probably not, but thought I'd ask.

I bought the same rearsets for my virago. Due to the fact that the swivel joints are so large I had to mount them upside down. I have yet to actually ride the bike but it seems to work pretty good. I do need to shorten both levers because right now the travel is too much.

Attachments

• 20150504_215138.jpg
    20150504_215138.jpg
    3.1 MB · Views: 901
  • 20150504_215118.jpg
    20150504_215118.jpg
    4.2 MB · Views: 1,201
Also, I had to buy another rod for the shifter side as the one that came with the kit was not long enough.

Hope this response doesn't come to late to do some good. I think the best answer is to do it like znviper did. You need to connect your new linkage to the existing brake pivot rather than to the drum. The problem is that the original brake pedal was ~12" long and provided a lot of leverage. With the new short rearset, you need to leave the arm on the brake pivot extra long. Otherwise, your rear brake is useless. You can see the comparison in arm lengths between my first try and the one that actually worked in the third picture below. End of the day, it looks a little funny, but it works great.

Here are a couple of shots of mine. I also moved my rearsets forward a little to put them in a more comfortable position.

If you shorten the piece coming off the brake shaft so the linkage runs as close to 90° as you can get it from the control to the brake shaft arm, it will be more efficient.

Leaving it longer, it travels more at the top. It needs to be longer than the short one you posted, but shorter than the one hooked up.

Also, if you rotate it back to where it is straight up and down, that'd help too.

Back
Top Bottom