Honda CB's and their mileage

...whats a hipster?

haha just messing with you. i agree, best advice ever. i don't want to be buried under a pile of rubbish and rust for the next year of my life. i want to actually ride the bike, preferably soon. yesterday would have been nice.

Also dont waste your money on the harbor freight compression tester, its junk and they never ever work.
Buy a craftsman or something along those lines, yes it will cost more, but you have to pay to play.

Really if you are this new at everything why start with a vintage bike? Even better why start with a 350? WAY over rated. Riding a slow vintage bike in traffic is a challenge for a new rider in itself, on top of the challenge of a new rider just flat riding. A bike is not a life long partner....get a nice "modern" bike so that you have the power to move around when needed and it runs every day so you get more miles under your belt. Once you learn how to ride you can get a bike that is more focused for what ever it is you think you want to do.
What is the actual budget for this idea? Not the well I have $50 now and every week I find $10 on the subway...
Can you swing the $3500 for a NEW CBR250RR? Really that is what you should be thinking about
I say this mostly because I am assuming alot of things, here they are,
-You said SF, I hear vintage bikes are higher priced there then in brooklyn so why spend the money just to be a sheep and have a look?
-You seem to have a complete lack of mechanical knowledge and lack the basic tools and understanding to keep a vintage bike running, that is not a jab as everyone has to start some place, but why bite off more then you can chew? Vintage bikes take work to keep running, this means hours in the garage beating your head against the wall, or a ton of money to pay someone else to do it. Two things to think about. One is that a million people are coming out of the woodwork because they saw some TV show and heard that Hondas dont require much work so they suck and cant fix a tuna fish sandwich. Two this leads to down time when you should be riding.
-You need to find real life people to get into vintage bikes. Nothing ever gets done on the internet, alot of the bikes that are making the rounds of the blogs are nothing more then art projects and do not work as motorcycles, hell some dont even run! This leads newbie "builders" to do some extra stupid "mods" to bikes. I say that you need to find people in real life because you cant just run to the interwebs to fix everything and the advice that you have gotten so far sounds like its coming from someone that either has no clue what they are talking about or is trying to keep you off a vintage bike

who said im this new at everything? pretty sure i've had my license for the past 3 years. pretty sure i've been actually riding for the past 6 years. just because i haven't had the need or the desire to "pop the hood" doesn't mean that i can't start now. i appreciate you letting me on to the horrors of owning a vintage bike. but if i wanted to get a brand new cbr i probably wouldn't be posting on DTT. hold on a second... you thought i was totally new to riding and you recommended for me to get a super sport? that seems like a great idea. and why the hell do you care if im new to this anyway? you seem to be getting pissed at me for what? posting a few questions on a forum. geez you would think someone is holding you down next to me and forcing you to give step by step instructions while building my bike. this is the 21st century, not the 80s. so yes i would say a lot gets done on the internet.
look man, i get that you have a vendetta against everyone who buys a vintage bike to make it look good. but seriously one of these days you're gonna need to get over it because believe it or not it is an art form. and a subculture.
so if you want to offer unwanted advice and criticism think twice about replying. take it somewhere else.

ps. be a little more amicable for gods sake. if you are so passionate about these bike try spreading the love a bit more. no one likes an asshole.

Ok, now that that's outta the way.........

There's nothing wrong with getting a running vintage bike. So long as you're aware that they require more consistent maintenance than a newer bike. From valve clearances, oil changes (since some don't have the usual filter), cam chain tension, etc. Nothing that will ruin a season of riding, as long as it's kept up with.

Brendami, you seem like a good character - hope you hang around for a bit.

Big Rich said:
Ok, now that that's outta the way.........

There's nothing wrong with getting a running vintage bike. So long as you're aware that they require more consistent maintenance than a newer bike. From valve clearances, oil changes (since some don't have the usual filter), cam chain tension, etc. Nothing that will ruin a season of riding, as long as it's kept up with.

Brendami, you seem like a good character - hope your hang around for a bit.

hey thanks! :)
see thats the support im looking for here. btw, i love you 650 cafe. the rims are really cool

I'm going to chime in here and say that with your experience on a bike, a two-stroke might be a solid option. They are a little jumpier, but with your riding experience, shouldn't be an issue.

1. Easier to work on than 4 stroke engines
2. As vintage prices are typically high in your neck of the woods (as they are in mine), two-stroke bikes seem to remain a someone untapped market and you might find a better deal there.
3. They are just rad bikes. (as lots of people on this site will attest to)
4. You will dominate those SF hills.

shamus said:
I'm going to chime in here and say that with your experience on a bike, a two-stroke might be a solid option. They are a little jumpier, but with your riding experience, shouldn't be an issue.

1. Easier to work on than 4 stroke engines
2. As vintage prices are typically high in your neck of the woods (as they are in mine), two-stroke bikes seem to remain a someone untapped market and you might find a better deal there.
3. They are just rad bikes. (as lots of people on this site will attest to)
4. You will dominate those SF hills.

i agree with you. and ive ridden some two stroke dirtbikes. so i know what you mean about the jumpiness. but your right im really looking forward to flying (safely) over those hills. i have to admit they are a bit intimidating. thanks for the support!

Brendami said:
who said im this new at everything? pretty sure i've had my license for the past 3 years. pretty sure i've been actually riding for the past 6 years. just because i haven't had the need or the desire to "pop the hood" doesn't mean that i can't start now. i appreciate you letting me on to the horrors of owning a vintage bike. but if i wanted to get a brand new cbr i probably wouldn't be posting on DTT. hold on a second... you thought i was totally new to riding and you recommended for me to get a super sport? that seems like a great idea. and why the hell do you care if im new to this anyway? you seem to be getting pissed at me for what? posting a few questions on a forum. geez you would think someone is holding you down next to me and forcing you to give step by step instructions while building my bike. this is the 21st century, not the 80s. so yes i would say a lot gets done on the internet.
look man, i get that you have a vendetta against everyone who buys a vintage bike to make it look good. but seriously one of these days you're gonna need to get over it because believe it or not it is an art form. and a subculture.
so if you want to offer unwanted advice and criticism think twice about replying. take it somewhere else.

ps. be a little more amicable for gods sake. if you are so passionate about these bike try spreading the love a bit more. no one likes an asshole.

Well I did preface my comments by saying that I was assuming alot, mostly because I have no idea who you are and you didnt say that you knew the first thing about riding, and yes with a million new guys trying out this lifestyle its a safe bet that they dont know. Good for you that you have been riding.

Funny that you think that a CBR250 is a super sport and some how unfit for a new rider....

I care that you are new at this and I am actually trying to help you get around all the pit falls that most newbies make. Its fine you think im some asshole or what ever, but one day....maybe one day you will get it.
My comments about how bikes dont get built on the internet stands, again you are new. Bikes and wrenches dont live in the interwebs, its the time in the garage that builds bikes. Sure the web is great for some ideas and dialog on how to do some stuff, but it also can lead you astray
Want to call this hobby a lifestyle or a subculture fine. Art form? Now you are losing me...While the new influx of people are building bikes as an art project to look at in a shop or maybe push through the local fair grounds for a mods vs rockers day, others still are trying to improve how these bikes work as motorcycles, not what you are looking to do? again thats fine and to each their own, but some of what new people try and do ruins how the bike works and in some cases become dangerous, most like you seem to react with this pumped up BS about unwanted advice and state that you are going to do things your way and all, again fine we have all heard this story a million times.

Want to know my passion? its seeing bikes out on the road where they belong so excuse the hell out of me for trying to help someone that is new avoid buying a bike and turning it into a pile of shit.

you should call BIKE PROTECTIVE SERVICES on me. its an outrage. how could i do such a monstrous thing to a poor innocent helpless bike. sorry surffly for calling you on your self righteous bs. ive been reading your recent posts and looks like some one likes to put others down mr. know it all. whatever boats your float. its all good fun though. ever heard the expression "Focus on the journey, not the destination. Joy is found not in finishing an activity but in doing it”. try it sometime. and get that stick out of your butt man, i understand you have a world of non proof read knowledge in your head but just be nicer especially to a lady. sorry i havent been acting like one. i just dont like people up on their high horse.

Some auto parts stores loan out compression gauges if you don't want to by one. I borrowed one from autozone once. Worked fine.

Glad you found this site before another....
Enjoy your journey

There is a difference between putting some one down and telling them something they don't want to hear.
And most if my unwanted advice comes from me not listening to people when I was new, I learned from those mistakes and am trying to pass that on, but some are hell bent on making thier own mistakes.

So since the original question was answered guess it's on to the next.

Flugtechnik said:
Some auto parts stores loan out compression gauges if you don't want to by one. I borrowed one from autozone once. Worked fine.

yeah thats what i think im going to go do today. thanks!

surffly: there is also a big difference between offering advice and judging people. which you seem to do often. im sure with all the experience you have ill be needing your advice often. too bad i wont ask for it because youll probably put me down or make me feel shitty. if you come at me again ill just shoot right back. but thanks anyways, its duly noted.

I've got a CB360, 1976. Compression is even at the high 140s, with 22,000 on the gauge. Runs, but had a bit of left pipe backfire.

Brendami said:
hey thanks! :)
see thats the support im looking for here. btw, i love you 650 cafe. the rims are really cool
Awww! She likes the rims! Sweet! Seriously, most of us are here to help. Good luck, and BTW the CB when it does go wrong seems to be pretty easy to fix.

jump in with both feet! the 350's are cheap....they're easy to work on even if at times they do the weirdest things. i got mine for free hadn't been run in 17 years tank full of old rust gas, carbs gummed with the same crap. i pulled the carbs tore them apart cleaned everything out put them back together put some gas in them, new battery and 5 kicks she fired up and idled! over the next 3 months i proceeded to beat the crap out of it and the rubber cam chain tensioner disintegrated wrecking the motor. so i tore it apart and found parts really cheap on craigslist from a guy on this forum.....and i fixed it.

my point is, who cares if you trash one, personally if people didn't trash these things, there'd be no parts. i am not saying you will trash one either. these cb/cl350's are not bulletproof but they are fun as heck to ride, there are plently of trashed ones out there where you can steal parts and learn more about what makes a bike tick without worrying about breaking the bank or ruining a one of a kind.

get two or three and cut and paste them all together and feel the pride of making something run and let it be your fault. trash one while your at it, jump curbs if you get a chance. they ride like a heavy pedal bike and will make you smile when you least expect it and give you the "holy crap these drum brakes suck" too!

if you're ready for a little work, they'll work with you and part of the time against you....go for it, old 350!

I love my 350 Brendami. Make sure you post pics when you buy one. Despite what alot of people will say on here they are reliable little bikes that are alot of fun to ride. Plenty of power for a city bike imo. Doesn't hurt to look cool too. Welcome to dtt.

Brendami said:
I'm looking at cb's but a friend told me to not buy on with 2,500 mi or more. Do they really go that fast? whats an alternative?

That's... pretty bad advice. It's like saying don't buy a car with more than 20k miles on it. That might help somewhat as a guideline when buying a one year old car, but not something made a decade ago. In the end, especially when considering bikes 20+ years old (or 30-40 for CBs), mileage really isn't going to be your best indicator.

My advice, and I'm a new rider/owner/wrencher so you should have a forklift ready for the grain of salt needed here: Either get a friend who's a *good* hobbyist or professional bike mechanic and take them with you when looking at bikes. Or if that's not an option, have the owner meet you at a shop so you can get it looked over. Yeah it'll suck to pay $60 or whatever for a mechanic to give it the once over, and there are plenty of sellers who will scoff when you suggest it. But that's better than dropping $2k into a good-looking paperweight.

If you prefer the vintage look but are wary about the reliability, pep, and/or safety, if you have the coin there's always something like the Triumph classic line. Are they more expensive than the average CB Craigslist special? Sure. But, if you're like me, you might find that jumping face-first into the vintage life adds up quickly when you have to start buying all the necessary tools to work on it that you didn't own before. I bought a 72 CB450 because I wanted to learn how to wrench on something that wasn't my ride to work, and it's been great, but I started with some metric wrenches and sockets and that's about it. I ended up buying an '09 Bonneville SE a year later because I also wanted something I could actually ride while being a bad wannabe mechanic, which hasn't been conducive to riding. :)

Back
Top Bottom