Front sprocket removal question??

I've thought about cutting it, but then I will have to find another one. And the places I have looked said they were discontinued. And I'm not sure if any other shifter shafts will work on the 360's

If you read between the lines on the last several posts, i's pretty obvious it's out of his pay grade and will be cheaper in the long run to get 'professional help' (lot of people think I could do with some ;D )

crazypj said:
If you read between the lines on the last several posts, i's pretty obvious it's out of his pay grade and will be cheaper in the long run to get 'professional help' (lot of people think I could do with some ;D )

That's as may be; I agree that the best bet is likely to take to someone - but if it were me (and it has been!) I would go and ask that they show me what to do! Not every shop will be up for that...but one that will is probably full of people who will, in the long run, have been good acquaintances to have made.

OP - don't do it with a sawzall ;)

Cutting the shifter shaft would be the last resort, and you are probably not quite there yet, but close.

A shaft that is bent, can be straightened.

I actually went to a shop today and was told that a little heat and a pipe would straighten it up. And rich ard what would you want for that shaft?

Just checked and I no longer have it, sorry.

Did they help you with the cover?

I believe I have a CB360 Shift lever too...Let me check....

If you can't straighten yours, we can work something out....

Don't forget he's already hit the thing with a BFH. God knows what's happened inside the gearbox.

Maybe cutting it off and replacing will be the best option in the long run.

hillsy said:
Don't forget he's already hit the thing with a BFH. God knows what's happened inside the gearbox.

Maybe cutting it off and replacing will be the best option in the long run.

Eh, hammers are for hitting the wrong thing with, 's why the side of my index finger is the wrong shape. :) Worst case, it's not like this is a rare engine :)

The shaft goes straight through to the other side. I doubt he did internal damage. It would hit the clutch basket of the other side. He may of bent the pawl too.

But the trans doesn't really see any forces from that particular shaft, so he may be lucky.

Rich Ard I didnt have my motor with me at the time(since this shop is rarely open). His advice was a pipe and some heat.

And I think my terminology may be wrong but I have never hit this shaft with a BFH
2013-03-02_12-10-02_614_zpsd9b04a8d.jpg

But when the "gear selector" was on this shaft^ I did try to move the gear selector up and down with a hammer but it wouldnt move.

mydlyfkryzis said:
I believe I have a CB360 Shift lever too...Let me check....

If you can't straighten yours, we can work something out....

And let me know what we could work out on this shifter shaft

mydlyfkryzis said:
I doubt he did internal damage. It would hit the clutch basket of the other side. He may of bent the pawl too.

But the trans doesn't really see any forces from that particular shaft, so he may be lucky.

He didn't strike the shaft, he was hitting on the shift lever to try and make it move. That could do nasty things like bend shift forks.

jr75cb360 said:
Rich Ard I didnt have my motor with me at the time(since this shop is rarely open). His advice was a pipe and some heat.

And I think my terminology may be wrong but I have never hit this shaft with a BFH
2013-03-02_12-10-02_614_zpsd9b04a8d.jpg

But when the "gear selector" was on this shaft^ I did try to move the gear selector up and down with a hammer but it wouldnt move.

And let me know what we could work out on this shifter shaft

That shaft does look like it may be bent forward.

I think I'm gonna try what my shop recommended. Put a pipe on the end of the shifter shaft and heat the shaft up in between the case and the block (not getting crazy with heat) and try to bend it back some. Does anyone see anything wrong with this?

I doubt you could apply enough heat to make a difference with the cover on there.

Get someone to help pull on the cover, while you whack on the shaft from the front with something non-metalic. You could place piece of wood against the shaft, and carefully hit it from the front, and with each whack, the cover should come a little further off.

Remove the stator cover in front of it. If the shifter shaft is bent forward, it will be pushing the sprocket cover forward against the stator cover as it comes out further. If you remove the stator cover, it might eliminate the interference and allow you to get the sprocket cover off.

That's what I'll try next them and hopefully this will allow this cover to finally come off. Thanks for the info

I thought you still had motor in frame.
That shaft isn't bent enough to make any difference
take the screws back out, lay motor over on right side and tap a paint scraper into the join. (about 1-1/2" wide)
Try to get bottom moving, if the top 'opens' when you have 1/16" or so gap at bottom tap the top back onto case, it will open bottom further until you can move on to thicker 'wedge

crazypj said:
That shaft isn't bent enough to make any difference

+1

Youse gotta figure out what you're getting stuck on, 'cause it isn't the shift shaft.

Back
Top Bottom