Possible Engine Seizure - REBUILD THREAD: *HELP!!*

Possible Engine Seizure - REBUILD THREAD

Put a penny or a rag in the gears to immobilize them.
Also may need a swift whack on the ratchet with a hammer (not hard, it's just the quick force application) to get it to break loose.

Re: Possible Engine Seizure - REBUILD THREAD

So, one of the pistons looks a bit shit now most of the carbon is off.

Why would it be so chewed up around the edges? Is this okay to use???

Attachments

• IMAG1089.jpg
    IMAG1089.jpg
    699 KB · Views: 211

No, not OK to use. Unless you like pre-ignition. Something got in there. Is that the left piston? If so, wrong sparkplug, maybe. Too long, piston hit it, it broke off and started having fun with it.

You need to check intake valve from that side, too.

mlinder said:
No, not OK to use. Unless you like pre-ignition. Something got in there. Is that the left piston? If so, wrong sparkplug, maybe. Too long, piston hit it, it broke off and started having fun with it.

I thought as much, didn't look fine to me. Its from the RH cylinder. when I bought the bike, the first thing I did was put new NGKs in (the correct size), but judging by the carbon over the damage, this happened a fair while ago.

Looks like Ill need new pistons too. Oh well.

mlinder said:
You need to check intake valve from that side, too.

I'll be checking all of them in the week when my spring clamp arrives.

Would these fit (with a re-bore)?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/HONDA-CB250-CB-250-G5-NOS-PATTERN-PISTON-AND-RINGS-1-00-O-S-/330996847974?pt=UK_Motorcycle_Parts_13&hash=item4d10f31566

$T2eC16RHJG8E9nyfnUN7BQU0fthJ,Q~~60_1.JPG

**EDIT: Just managed to find they're the same part number for G5 or K3 so all good.

Had another couple of hours on it tonight when I came in thanks to the lady of the house being out. Quite productive, got the cam assembly apart and out, and got all the old gaskets fully scraped off and cleaned back.

Also started cleaning up the valve area, bit of elbow grease and a stiff brush. There is some minor damage to the dome where the valves are that is very similar to the damage on the knackered piston - so definitely someone dropped something in there at some point in its life. Fortunately, its much more minor than the piston damage so once the valve compressor arrives and I can remove the valves, I am going to take a dremel and smooth it out a little bit, just for piece of mind.

I also ordered all the parts I know to need so far, come to a pretty penny too. But, its still cheaper than paying someone to fix it - or even buy a new engine!

Just waiting now, parts are gonna be arriving sometime mid next week.

Can anyone recommend any good household solutions to cleaning & rejuvenating the cases and heads etc? Cillit Bang? hahaha

I had a few things turn up over the last few days so I got to do a bit more here. The stuff that arrived was a valve spring compressor, a lapping handle and some grinding paste.... So I did the head today.

The valves came out nice and easy but were pretty rough:

IMAG1095.jpg

BUT, I checked them all and they all seem straight - which is a bonus!

So I clamped a drill to the bench, wrapped up the ends of the valves, and got to them with various grades of emery paper, lubed with oil:

IMAG1096.jpg

I used 60, 80, 120, 600 then 1200 grades so they are now silky smooth 8)

Then, I lapped them into the head. The paste I got had a coarse and fine paste at either end of the tub and, for my first time, it went very smoothly. I watched a couple of videos on YouTube first so I knew what to do. So here they are reinstalled:

IMAG1097.jpg

Quite pleased how it all went :)

So, Im still waiting for all the parts to turn up from David Silver Spares, but, the jugs are away with the new +1.00 pistons at the local shop getting rebored, and should hopefully be done by Monday. Also, i managed to find some new engine bolts at Inox so I dont have to go hunting to replace them all at the local fixings shop.

So my to-do list now stands at:

Pull valves, check straight, de-coke and lapp into head.
Clean out crankcase of old oil and metal shavings
Get cases, head and side covers cleaned up - possibly blasted can't afford blasting, I'm just gonna wipe down
Change all oil seals
Fit new cam chain and tensioner
De-coke pistons and fit new rings - Gone with brand new pistons & rings
Need someone to helicoil one bolt in the RH cover (oil filter hatch) as one removal went a bit wrong :eek: Sorted (for free)
Get down to the local fixings shop and get a load of replacement case bolts & screws
Reassemble and install into bike!

Re: Possible Engine Seizure - REBUILD THREAD: *Head work done*

Are you gonna get the teflon slipper tensioner?

mlinder said:
Are you gonna get the teflon slipper tensioner?

I couldn't find it! I did find people talking about having to cut metal out of the engine to get it to fit though which made me dubious as to whether I wanted to do that. I have already ordered a replacement stock unit... I figure if the original lasted that long then I trust a new one to be fine.

Did you test the valves for leaks after that lap dance and grinding? Pop the plugs in and pour rubbing alcohol into the head and see if any seeps out into any of the 4 ports.

teazer said:
Did you test the valves for leaks after that lap dance and grinding? Pop the plugs in and pour rubbing alcohol into the head and see if any seeps out into any of the 4 ports.

I didn't, no, but I will now you mention it. I've got some white spirit that'll do the job.

Nice work Johnny. Good to see you dove in to give it a go. I need to do the same thing haha. Keep it up man.

teazer said:

Glad I checked...one exhaust valve was letting by a bit. Soon ground that out though and now its tighter than a nuns ass!

Box of parts shipped today so should be with me soon, all bar one part (rotor bolt) that's following in a few days, but that means I can start getting this thing back together.

Pretty much all the parts arrived yesterday so I got to work putting it all back together. I managed to get the bottom end in place and the RH side with the clutch and oil filter sorted.

Quick question though, the pistons.... Do they go in with the diamonds on the crown facing toward the back or the front of the engine? That's my job tonight and I'm not sure which way they should go!

Re: Possible Engine Seizure - REBUILD THREAD: *Going back together*

So far, so good. Yesterday I got the pistons and cylinders in, then the valves and now I'm working on the camshaft end.

I have run into a bit of an issue, hopefully you guys can help....

I put it all together as per the manual: Rotor on the LT mark, cam sprocket with the cutout/L level with the top of the camcase, and installed the 2 cam sprocket bolts as directed (you can see the 'shoulder' relief in the camshaft thread.

BUT, at that setting, the left exhaust valve is at full open when the left piston is at TDC (LT mark) and actually touches the piston!
I can't seem to fathom out how I can get this not to happen! Ive just spent 2 hours trying, and read both manuals' sections on this and I still cant get it to play ball!

Also, the chain seems awfully tight (no tensioner installed yet)....is this normal!?
HELP!?!?

Back
Top Bottom