CB350 wanting as much power as my wallet can afford.

Im saying putting yamaha knock off wheels on a slow commuter bike doesnt make it a race bike just like a chrome battery box cover and oil tank doesnt make a harley worth a fuck now it just draws attention away from the oil leak so get off the key board and get back on rich ard's nuts it cold out

No, but the op wants his slow commuter bike to go a little faster. Aluminum rims that are lighter will help that. Yamaha knockoffs or not.

Those slow commuters are a lot faster than half built , engine transplanted bikes that aren't running yet.

Sent from planet Earth using mysterious electronic devices and Tapatalk

If everyone thought like you the world would still be flat but the landskeeping would be perfect. blind loyality and no risk taken

He has 2500 bucks to spend...1500 will be spent on just basic things...put the extra 1000 towards upgrading ignition and maybe lighter alumin parts and you'll be good. Maybe some port work.

replace the lens on the speedo. mabie a good coat of wax to protect the paint from those mean uv rays. dont forget that prolonged direct sunlight will stiffen the seat, increaseing the risk if cracking. Then buy a original sales ad and frame it. O and most important i know it sound queer as fuck but, your bike, name it.. im thinking a 1930's woman's name! If your motorcycle comes up in conversation if the name isnt used, refer to it as her or she.

Or if your bag has dropped rebuld your motor 40 year old rings in a air cooled motor could always be better. spend your money on seals gaskets rings and a cam chain roller. then when you kick burtha or bess over you know why it starts or doesnt

Wider rims are a real good idea no matter what.
Even if they were not lighter, tyres fit better and bike WILL handle better which is more of a safety upgrade
Yamaha have made some real dogs, much worse than almost ANY Honda (excepting the VF range, including gear driven cam models)
At one time they also couldn't make a wiring harness that lasted long enough to survive trip from Japan (un-crate, order new harness, wait couple of weeks, test harness, order new harness, await, test harness -yay, at last) Suzuki were bad but even ANY LUCAS harness was superior to early ~ mid 1980's Yamaha
I remember many Yamaha owners who actually believe the RTS was accurate (race tuned speedometer - much cheaper to make a fast speedo than a fast bike)
I've also re-built more Yamaha crankshafts than Honda, probably in the order of 100:1 (maybe more, never kept count)
Yamaha two strokes are not the be all and end all, they are fast and fragile, all the air cooled ones teach you to keep two fingers on clutch lever at all times waiting for the seizure
For racing, two stroke was mandatory, on the street, doesn't really matter, even a full works GP cheater 'GT750' motor would get blown away by a modern 600
Oh, the other issues I've always had with Yamaha, first year models cannot keep second gear in the transmission (at least not without losing teeth or dogs)
and, even after 30+ yrs, they still ship brand new bikes weeks or months before shipping even basic service items (oil filters, air filters, clutch cables, brake pads)

VonYinzer said:
Still better than present slow (and fucking boring ;) )
I like my rides to have an element of boredom. Excitement is too painful

I think I agree with you. Why ride a slow and boring bike today when you can ride a fast custom bike in a few years. Better to drive a cage than slow and boring bike. I mean, speed is the true measure of a bike. How fast is brad's non- boring bike? I mean, if he rolled it out of the shop right now, jumped on it a went WOT. ?

Well, his bike is not boring at any rate. Transplanting engines and frames is exciting as it gets. ;)

Sent from planet Earth using mysterious electronic devices and Tapatalk

$2500 should almost be enough for a reliable stock bike that is 100% legal.

-tires
-brakes
-fork rebuild
-GOOD shocks
-bearings
-bushings
Ect ect....service stuff should run $1000-1500

Then MAYBE, just maybe it would be time for some actual upgrades that will improve the bike. Like the alloy wheels or other things.
As I have said there is ZERO point in "upgrading" a bike that has not been riden stock.
Same reason I don't get slapping in a dyna ignition, if you are befuddled by points....vintage bikes might not be for you. Hell it's not really that much of an upgrade.

Any left over money after servicing the crap out of the bike should be spent on rider development or just gas to ride the thing.

I hate points.. Too much work. I'm so lazy that I'd rather design a custom DYNA system for my application than try to set points.

how about cutting some 20-30 pounds off the bike (remove unnecessary crap and lighten some stuff) then go on a diet and lose 10+ more yourself. thats gonna be a lot more bang-for-the-buck than trying to wring 2hp from the engine.

We haven't even added in 'riding style efficiency' into the equation....
I think it's OK to go fast for a particular road and time and hopefully the unknown surface of the road won't let you down.Street Riding or Street Racing..,w/ cafe bikes you have a lot more choices. ;)

Back
Top Bottom