2-Stroke Exhaust Question

deputy865 said:
Is there truth to this? My motor is in fact a rotary valve motor.

Shane

I think he means that you wont destroy your engine with a straight pipe, but it will feel like you're riding a 50CC scooter with a fat bitch on the back. IE no power.

The stock exhaust is kind of funny for this bike. It doesn't really have much of an expansion chamber at all.

I wish there was a way for me to shorten or have a shorter expansion chamber... The exhaust was built to ride high to the left, so if I cut and modified the exhaust to ride low down on the right, it might be pretty darn long.

Tricky tricky...

AO_KE100_1976_3_27_12__(1).JPG

$(KGrHqQOKkIE3r+Uh2CVBOHSv5YTdQ~~0_35.JPG

(Not my bike pictured, but is the bike in stock form)

The pipe from the head to the start of the expansion chamber is 13". I'm not sure how long the expansion chamber is and I can always remove the silencer at the end. I'm assuming if I modified any angles on the expansion chamber, that would mess with things?

Shane

the stock pipe def has a muffled, mild, xpansion chamber design
why don't you read up on the subject it is very interesting

xb33bsa said:
the stock pipe def has a muffled, mild, xpansion chamber design
why don't you read up on the subject it is very interesting

It is some cool stuff and that handbook gave me a really good idea of how it works. It's complex to design one, but the process is cool. The measurements look to be the biggest pain.. Especially doing this on a bike that I'm guessing not many people have before. I haven't found anything in searches.

I should also note that I'm not looking for max performance out of this bike. It's just a cruiser, meant for short trips around downtown and to some meets. As stated before, 20 miles, round trip max.. Downtown speeds are 25mph or less and I'd probably only get to 40-45 on the other roads. Just a show bike that I would ride :)

Shane

The issue is and will be that stock, the bike isn't designed to perform as a road bike really. Once you begin to modify the exhaust, you MUST keep performance in mind as any loss of power or response will make it damn near useless on the road no matter the intended "cruising" speed.

Dump the smokey motor, go to Harbor Freight and pick up an 8 HP predator engine, 4 stroke. Rope pull start, or even electric, use can use 1 inch iron pipe from home depot for an exhaust. It will be faster than the 2 stroke with no expansion chamber, and you won't need to add oil to the gas.

Problem solved.

Since you aren;t going fast, a centrifugal clutch and chain is all you need.....Plus the motor would new and have a warranty.

mydlyfkryzis said:
Dump the smokey motor, go to Harbor Freight and pick up an 8 HP predator engine, 4 stroke. Rope pull start, or even electric, use can use 1 inch iron pipe from home depot for an exhaust. It will be faster than the 2 stroke with no expansion chamber, and you won't need to add oil to the gas.

Problem solved.

Since you aren;t going fast, a centrifugal clutch and chain is all you need.....Plus the motor would new and have a warranty.

Is there a wall of shame on this board? Lol

mydlyfkryzis said:

Problem solved.

Ok... I just want to get something straight.

I am very new to 2 strokes (obviously) and this is in fact my first all out build on a motorcycle. I've owned all 4 strokes before this.. Quads, crotch rockets, etc and have come to really love this style of bike. These question may be stupid to you guys but I'm only asking questions because I don't know the answers. This board is awesome with getting results and info quickly, hence why I go here and the main reason I use forums for a lot of problem solving.

So please don't condescend. This project isn't a joke to me. I'm in fact quite proud of the way it turned out and what I've been able to transform this bike into. I look forward to sharing it with everyone and posting a complete build thread with pictures from start to finish. This stupid exhaust is the only thing holding me back at this point. Once it's done, all I need to do is a little more paint work, electrical and then it's ready!

I'm sure I could have used a 100 different bikes for my platform, but there is a story to this one.

Shane

You ask for advice, get some excellent advice from heavily experienced builders/mechanics and then poo-poo the advice. You are the one being condescending. My post was a sarcastic way of pointing that out.

Your best bet now is to just say thanks for the great advice and do whatever you want.

The exhaust is not holding you back, you are holding yourself back. You have been given excellent advice, and can't seem to grasp it.

Sent from planet Earth using mysterious electronic devices and Tapatalk

how fucked up have you made this thing to where the stock pipe wont fit ?
lets see some pics of where it is now

deputy865 said:
It is some cool stuff and that handbook gave me a really good idea of how it works. It's complex to design one, but the process is cool. The measurements look to be the biggest pain.. Especially doing this on a bike that I'm guessing not many people have before. I haven't found anything in searches.

I should also note that I'm not looking for max performance out of this bike. It's just a cruiser, meant for short trips around downtown and to some meets. As stated before, 20 miles, round trip max.. Downtown speeds are 25mph or less and I'd probably only get to 40-45 on the other roads. Just a show bike that I would ride :)

Shane

the 100 kawasaki G31M has a great racing history in the USA
kawasaki made a race specific model even and they are worth many 1000's of dollers if you can find one
the ring a ding do that was painted by von dutch and owned by steve mcqueen sold for $65k at auction
i was there to see that happen 8)
so if you dont think they make pipes for these you aint really lookin'
although your model has quite milder motor and should have a milder pipe there are plenty of pipe builders out there that would be happy to build you a pipe for you
images

images

640px-1970_Kawasaki_McQueen_G31M.jpg

mydlyfkryzis said:
You ask for advice, get some excellent advice from heavily experienced builders/mechanics and then poo-poo the advice. You are the one being condescending. My post was a sarcastic way of pointing that out.

Your best bet now is to just say thanks for the great advice and do whatever you

The exhaust is not holding you back, you are holding yourself back. You have been given excellent advice, and can't seem to grasp it.

Sent from planet Earth using mysterious electronic devices and Tapatalk

I apologize. I had a guess it was sarcasm, but it's hard to tell on forums. I did want to be clear that I was passionate about this though... I really do enjoy it.

I get that I'll need to do quite a bit as far as a custom pipe. Length is my only issue right now. Again, coming from the 4 stroke world where you can hack (or extend) a pipe to whatever length you want.... Is it possible to do the same with a tuned pipe, but make the dimensions different? Or is there really only 1 perfect shape and size per motor? I'm leading towards the 1 shape only, given the wave travel distance, but I'm unsure... I definitely get why a straight pipe won't work now lol.

How "fucked up" have I made this thing?

Not at all. The stock pipe will fit, but I don't want it to. The stock pipe location doesn't go with the theme of my bike nor will it look good there anymore. Going form over function on this one it seems... working towards both though!

I will roll it out of my dining room (lol) today and take some pictures. Just finished upholstering my seat, I want to see how it all looks!

I do like this exhaust though:

images

I've had a hard timing finding a pipe mostly because I've only been searching for KE100 pipes and not anything else. I wasn't sure what was and wasn't compatible.

Shane

why not ride the thing and enjoy it for a bit with the stock pipe ?
then take your time to figger out a design and build your own or have it done
to not be riding a lil fun bike like that because of a fashion issue is pretty silly ain't it ?
it is riding season ferchrisakes !!!!
oh and run some maxima castor oil in that thing you will love the smell !!

Shaneo!

I'm going through the same thing at the moment.
I've been doing heaps of reading and then some.

I've even read somewhere that as long as the pipe is a certain length and has a certain amount of bends, it should work fine.
So I'm as lost as you are, I just think that it's going to inevitable that were going to have to run expansion chambers.

To throw a spanner in the works even further, here's a pick of a Husky 400 2stroke that Counts Customs in Vegas made, with a strait through pipe.
3ugede3a.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

If your looking for a simple but not perfect solution. Just buy an expansion chamber for a newer style 2 stroke of similar cc. Perhaps a kx80. Newer expansion chambers tend to have a separate silencer and that will give you a break in the pipe to drop down low to clear your seat.

But you need an expansion chamber.

xb33bsa said:
why not ride the thing and enjoy it for a bit with the stock pipe ?
then take your time to figger out a design and build your own or have it done
to not be riding a lil fun bike like that because of a fashion issue is pretty silly ain't it ?
it is riding season ferchrisakes !!!!
oh and run some maxima castor oil in that thing you will love the smell !!

I thought about doing that as well. At least until I can pass inspection. Thanks for the oil tip.. Wasn't sure what I wanted to use.

Riding season only JUST started here. I live in Northern Michigan. Few bikes are out and about so far. Still some time for me on this bike though. Should be getting my carb rebuilt kit in any day now..

Not looking forward to the electronics on this bike. I didn't want to run a big battery to power everything, so I've opted into some smaller, high MaH Lipo batteries that I can hide under my seat to power my LED brake light and what not. I'll probably run the headlight off of the motor to make that part easier. All I need to be legal beagle here is a headlight with Hi/Lo, tail light, brake light and license plate light. Going with my little lipo battery route works nice too because you won't be able to see any wires on the entire bike. Probably won't ride this bike much at night either. Love these Lipo batteries though. High power, last for quite awhile (the nicer ones at least) and are small.

redroptop said:
Shaneo!

I'm going through the same thing at the moment.
I've been doing heaps of reading and then some.

I've even read somewhere that as long as the pipe is a certain length and has a certain amount of bends, it should work fine.
So I'm as lost as you are, I just think that it's going to inevitable that were going to have to run expansion chambers.

To throw a spanner in the works even further, here's a pick of a Husky 400 2stroke that Counts Customs in Vegas made, with a strait through pipe.
3ugede3a.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

That really throws me for a loop. How in the hell did they straight pipe that and have it work fine? Could there possibly be a cone inside the pipe itself?

I definitely understand why 2-stroke tuned pipes are so expensive. Lots of math and work go into the process. Took it for granted with a 4-stroke!

Shane

That's is a straight diameter pipe, but it is bigger than the exhaust port. So it's still a place for air to be stored and pulled back into the motor on the down stroke. I wouldn't say it's tuned at all, but capable of running .

Beeweldmut said:
That's is a straight diameter pipe, but it is bigger than the exhaust port. So it's still a place for air to be stored and pulled back into the motor on the down stroke. I wouldn't say it's tuned at all, but capable of running .

it sounds like you don't understand the concept of an expansion chamber at all ???

deputy865 said:
I thought about doing that as well. At least until I can pass inspection. Thanks for the oil tip.. Wasn't sure what I wanted to use.

Riding season only JUST started here. I live in Northern Michigan. Few bikes are out and about so far. Still some time for me on this bike though. Should be getting my carb rebuilt kit in any day now..

Not looking forward to the electronics on this bike. I didn't want to run a big battery to power everything, so I've opted into some smaller, high MaH Lipo batteries that I can hide under my seat to power my LED brake light and what not. I'll probably run the headlight off of the motor to make that part easier. All I need to be legal beagle here is a headlight with Hi/Lo, tail light, brake light and license plate light. Going with my little lipo battery route works nice too because you won't be able to see any wires on the entire bike. Probably won't ride this bike much at night either. Love these Lipo batteries though. High power, last for quite awhile (the nicer ones at least) and are small.

That really throws me for a loop. How in the hell did they straight pipe that and have it work fine? Could there possibly be a cone inside the pipe itself?

I definitely understand why 2-stroke tuned pipes are so expensive. Lots of math and work go into the process. Took it for granted with a 4-stroke!

Shane
it doesn't work fine or good ::) it still runs though :-\

Beeweldmut said:

Confused again.

However, I am curious as to how they did it.. Especially coming out of a shop like his, it has to run properly..

Could it be possible that there is a cone hidden inside the pipe itself for the waves to bounce off of? And that the pipe is just all one diameter to give off the appearance of a straight pipe/traditional motorcycle exhaust?

Shane

Back
Top Bottom