Designing A New Air Box

On a side note, I believe most of the 3" KN cone filters are quite large. It might look huge behind your air box. Is there a certain one you were looking at using?

Heavies said:
On a side note, I believe most of the 3" KN cone filters are quite large. It might look huge behind your air box. Is there a certain one you were looking at using?

I was checking out some k&n's in the local parts store the other day. There were a few that may work well. Do you have a 750? It's easy to forget just how big and wide the 750 is. I actually forget how big it is until it's right in front of me.

ncologerojr said:
I was checking out some k&n's in the local parts store the other day. There were a few that may work well. Do you have a 750? It's easy to forget just how big and wide the 750 is. I actually forget how big it is until it's right in front of me.
I have a 900f, and it is a big bike haha ;D

Taking shape. Defiantly not my best work, but I'm making this as a prototype of sorts. If it works I'll remake it; eliminating some seems, adding curves and better panel fitting for cleaner dimes (aka welds).

All welded up, just need to make the runners.
I'm going to leave it as is, without a cone filter like my original idea. It can breathe trough the opening above where the cone was planned to be. If it works I'll make a filter to fit the opening from uni-foam. I'll make a rubber gasket to fit the cover that bolts over the runners.

Here you can see where I got a little heat warp in one wall, some careful planishing should straighten it out...

Very nice work. Have you considered using velocity stacks as an interface to the carburetors? That is what I was thinking of doing with my project, to allow the air turbulence to smooth out as it enters the carbs.

Something like this.

DSCN3471.jpg

Heavies said:
Very nice work. Have you considered using velocity stacks as an interface to the carburetors? That is what I was thinking of doing with my project, to allow the air turbulence to smooth out as it enters the carbs.

That's exactly what I was thinking, I really got inspired by the guys at fluidmotorunion.com. It is why I've saved that part for last. I have a few different velocity stacks hanging around from past projects, but I'd hate to ruin good stacks on a "test" project. I've been thinking of a way to make some. I also don't know what's going to work best for runner length. I have a few ideas that I'm going try first before welding in stacks...

not an engineer, but as physics student i could tell you that you want to have the least amount of sharps turns as possible.
you also want the air to travel in a straight line for the longest distance you can so that it has more time for the turbulence settle.
you could run water through it before hand to see if it flows through smoothly...

just my 2 cents

The velocity of the air should be low enough that the turns don't have a problem pressure drop increases as a square of the velocity. 2x the velocity = 4 times the pressure drop. Look at a stock air box. Most have a more restrictive path. With his passages so large, the drop should be fine.

Also, the plenum effect will increase performance.

I think he has a solid design.

Sent from planet Earth using mysterious electronic devices and Tapatalk

Heavies said:

something like this would work well, ideally the side of the box would lead into the velocity stacks. the entry of the stacks would be flush with the side of the box.

i have some fluid flow simulation software, autodesk CFD, if anyone wants me to try simulating some designs, send me some dimensions and i'll get on it.

farmer92 said:
something like this would work well, ideally the side of the box would lead into the velocity stacks. the entry of the stacks would be flush with the side of the box.

i have some fluid flow simulation software, autodesk CFD, if anyone wants me to try simulating some designs, send me some dimensions and i'll get on it.

Thank you that would be awesome!

nice fab work and kudos for working through this. A cool idea to split the airbox stuff into it's own thread. It's a great topic

Thanks everyone for all the support. I should have runners made, and the box mounted up for testing this week.

Back
Top Bottom