Designing A New Air Box

Just a quick update.

I've been pretty busy at work these days, so progress has been a bit slow. But, I managed to get something done.

I decided to make the runner section detachable, so modification would be easier. Which was a good idea, because my first trial failed. The runners were originally longer and nicely finished to mount directly to the carbs, but they were too long to install the carbs. So I quickly cut them down planning to use rubber couplers. However, even with them so short they won't allow the carbs room to seat. It looks like the solution is to use all rubber runners to allow flexibility during mounting like the stock box.

I finally got some time to finish up and install the air box...

I ended up making a set of runners from 2"I.D. rubber coupling. They extend about 1.5" into the airbox. The flexibility of the rubber also makes install much easier. I also started with stock jetting.

To start I thoroughly cleaned the carbs. If any performance issues arose I could eliminate the possibility of dirty carbs.

I mounted up the box, fired/warmed it up, set the idle screws and went for a ride.

Before I made it to the end of the driveway it was clear the the main jet was way to small. (It's a long driveway) So back in the garage, and I installed some 120's I had laying around. I slapped everything back together, and headed back out...

It ran awesome! Throttle response was spot on. Smooth acceleration trough all rpm ranges. No bogging or breaking up on hard acceleration or fast throttle "blips". I do think I need to up my pilot jet size just a bit, but I anticipated that.
On top of it all, I still have the open frame look I wanted.

I'm working on a way of mounting my phone for a riding video. I'll try to get one up asap.

bravo sir !!! bravo :)
giphy.gif

Nice.

So many "Original" designs "builders make for Cafe racers, but nearly everyone is a copy of something else. This is a truly original design.

Very good!

Let me know when you go into production - I want one for my XJ650.. :) Great work.. I may indeed blatantly copy you.

Edit - also - where did you put the battery on that?

Thanks for all the support!

I rode the bike again last night, and it's awesome. I tried to get some riding audio, but it didn't really work out.

Now that I made it work I figure I'll probably see some people try and make their own, but I would love to make some to sell. I guess the good thing for me is not too many people can tig aluminum at home. But, I think my next step is to make another "cleaner" version. I've got some ideas to refine the design a bit.

I'll work on that video too!

Making a few for others us a great idea. Figure out various differences in dimension for other bikes. Let's see the cleaned up version.

At some point I'm going to feed you beer until you agree to make one for my XJ650...

Flugtechnik said:
Did you end up with a place to put a filter? I didn't see one.

Yes, I will be using a flat style filter made from uniform in the main opening. I just need time to make it. A good thing in the mean time is that any larger debris kicked into the airbox won't reach the carbs due to the drop down inlet design.

I was in batteries-plus today and the guy told me all their Shorai's just got recalled due to a case issue... wonder if this was it?

I worked on the revised airbox design today. It is not tremendously different, but there are some changes. It is 1/4" narrower and there is an angle on the top front edge to improve fit against the frame tubes. Also the main body is bent from one piece of aluminum to cut down on seams. The front intake also tapers wider from top to bottom. Next I will give it a nice brushed finish.
I am still waiting for my unifoam, so once that arrives I will make the filter holder.

Wow, mark II turned out awesome. Goes to show a proof of concept works wonders to test effectiveness but also to tidy up the aesthetics.

Back
Top Bottom