Yo!

03rangerxlt

Been Around the Block
Here is my new mwmber introduction...
Its 2am. I am watching The Crazies, and I am eating frozen Zatarain's Blackened Chicken Alfredo. And its fookin' good.

I am also a 30 year old cop (actually, a Deputy Sheriff) who lives in the metro Altanta area that has been hooked on the wheel since I was a little kid. I have two really big hobbies; firearms and cars. Firearms are a cheaper hobby than cars, so I spend a lot of time with that one. I had never really had a cool vehicle until just over a year ago, when I bought a 1968 Ford F100 Ranger shortbed. Its a project truck that is my dirty hot rod. I like things "ol' skool," so that is the direction I am going with that.

Anyways, how the hell did I end up here? Well, my (former) roommate won the lottery a couple years ago while we were still splitting an apartment, and he bought something he always wanted; a sport bike. He started out with a Yamaha, that he totalled, and ended up with a GSXR. As it was always parked in the dining room, I got to stare at it a lot. I wanted a bike.

Sadly though, I didn't win the lottery, so I wasn't going to be buying a bike anytime soon. Well, at least not any type of bike that I wanted. I wanted an ol' skool bobber, like something from the pages of Car Culture Deluxe or Ol' Skool Rodz. Yeah right. Old iron is actually made out of gold and silver. Or I wanted a shit hot fast jap bike that I also couldn't afford.

So I happily skipped through life thinking that one day, when I was in my late 40's and might be able to afford it, I would eventually get to own a cool bike that appealed to me in style. Until, I saw the new Cafe Racer show on HDNet.

I fell in love immediately! Here were people starting with the kind of bike I could afford, but wasn't too attracted too, and they were turning them into swet looking and old school race bikes. I was seeing a mix of two things I was interested in, the (kinda) shit hot fast jap sport bike thing mixed with "ol' skool."

I was sold. I hit Craigslist and eventually fell in love with a bike that I decided I just had to have. I wanted it so badly that I sold one of my prized possessions, an HK91 .308 battle rifle, to fund the purchase.

So, that it in a nut-shell. I look forward to picking everybodies brains here, as I have absolutely no friggen' clue what the hell I'm doing or getting myself into.

Ha ha ha, welcome! We happen to share the same hobbies. Sweet intro man, Zataran's, classic.

Cops are always withholding information while investigations are pending......

Just kidding. Welcome to the site. Looking forward to seeing the bike and the build.

Ranger,

Looks like we have a lot in common. I'm a manager of a GunShop and have been into firearms for a couple centuries, been in bikes for about as long and finally got a cafe after years of HDs, my daughter is On The Job and I also just joined today.

Sorry for the loss of your 91. I'm sure it was hard to let go. However, you are going to have SO MUCH MORE fun when you get you Cafe!

GySchmit said:
Ranger,

Looks like we have a lot in common. I'm a manager of a GunShop and have been into firearms for a couple centuries, been in bikes for about as long and finally got a cafe after years of HDs, my daughter is On The Job and I also just joined today.

Sorry for the loss of your 91. I'm sure it was hard to let go. However, you are going to have SO MUCH MORE fun when you get you Cafe!

Thanks. It was hard to let the 91 go. It also had a lot of cool/rare-ish extras that went with it! A couple weeks ago, while driving to my "arms dealer's" house with the rifle, I was thinking to myself, "What am I doing!? I love this rifle!" But i realized something. It was the perfect day out. It was soooo dman beautiful. The sky was clear and blue, the tempurature was comfortably warm, and the sun was filtering down through the trees on the curvy road I was driving down. I decided right then it didn't matter. I needed a bike!

hey, new guy here...
is there any way to change my screen name? i have been thinking hard, and i don't like my current unimaginative screen name. i would like to be "The Bronze" if at all possible. thank you!

Not only are you getting one of my favorite bikes (CB500), I can also sleep soundly knowing you will no longer be torturing perfectly good .308 brass. ;D

Welcome to the madness......and pass the hot sauce 8)

4eyes said:
Not only are you getting one of my favorite bikes (CB500), I can also sleep soundly knowing you will no longer be torturing perfectly good .308 brass. ;D

Welcome to the madness......and pass the hot sauce 8)

No kidding! That HK91 ejects brass so hard its close to useless for reloading. I still have my Remington 700 PSS though for .308 fun. ;D

Back
Top Bottom