Hello: your opinion is requested.

.paul

Evening gents!

I am a prospective classic motorcycle buyer. I have a few situations that I'm trying to work through on buying my first bike. I would really appreciate your opinions as people with experience. I want to spend around $2000. I don't want to modify the bike. I want it stock and classy.

1. There is a 1975 kz400 that is in great shape. I have talked the owners down to $1400.

2. A cb400f was just posted for $2500. I feel like I can talk the owner down to
$2000.

http://seattle.craigslist.org/tac/mcy/3197120318.html

3. Or I can wait for a cb750, cb550, cb500. There a couple in the area that I can possible take a peek at and see.

http://vancouver.en.craigslist.ca/van/mcy/3172333323.html

http://spokane.craigslist.org/mcy/3192504990.html

What I want to do with this bike is putt around and take the wife on some little day trips out and about.

Paul

My bro has a cb400f its no bigger than my cb360...to small a frame for two people to be comfy. I would look for atleast 750 or bigger. Goldwing.

I have a buddy with a '75 CB550, one with a '77 CB750, and another who just bought an '82 goldwing. Rode both CB's and I agree going with a 750+ is ideal with a guest however the 500's is still doable if you're on the lighter side. The goldwing looked comfy with two when he took it out with a girlfriend on group ride but I also saw the 1200 rather large for my 5'7 frame.

GL with the purchase, please post what you decide on!

You likely won't see another one of those 400f for a long while and one in that condition is even more rare. I'd buy that and leave the wife at home.

My 2c. if you want to make sure you're both comfortable cruising around town check out the different riding stances the bikes have too. Since you don't want to tinker and replace parts notice the lower bars on the 75. It's a more tucked in and down position, but maybe more upright is what feels better to you. Just a thought.

Then again, I leave my wife at home ;)

Thanks for the help. I'm a pretty light guy. 5'10" 155. And the wife is smaller than me. I remember reading that 750's are heavy on the top and a pig at handling. I've emailed the guy about the 400f and he is not willing to come down on the price yet.

http://portland.craigslist.org/clk/mcy/3199745798.html
This 550 just showed up 15k miles 2nd owner. I would lose the luggage and the seat and go OEM. Its hard to make a decision because there is always something coming up for sale. Overall my max I can (according to the wife) spend is 2k. And as far as bringing her along or not, since this is my first bike I would want to become very comfortable before toting her around. Don't want to drop the bike.

48a07731-c49d-adc2.jpg

48a07731-c4b1-5c10.jpg

Couple pics of the kz400. I would lose the back rest if I got it. I currently have them talked down to $1400 pending my inspection.

I really don't understand how you are talking anyone down over the phone with no cash in hand and a trailer in their driveway. If I am selling a bike I don't even take anyone seriously if they aren't willing to come to my house and look at a bike only then can I take any offer seriously. Btw pretty much all those prices seem really inflated but perhaps thats the market by you. I assure you you won't see another 400f soon. A 750 definitely, a 550 probably. a kz400 who cares. <--although that's your best deal. Chances are all these bikes will be sold by the time you get around to going and seeing one. You wan't a bike that will hold it's value buy the 400f the others are dime a dozen and 3k for a 750 is crazy unless it's perfect and even then they are way to common to demand that kinda money imo.

axeugene27 said:
I really don't understand how you are talking anyone down over the phone with no cash in hand and a trailer in their driveway. If I am selling a bike I don't even take anyone seriously if they aren't willing to come to my house and look at a bike only then can I take any offer seriously. Btw pretty much all those prices seem really inflated but perhaps thats the market by you. I assure you you won't see another 400f soon. A 750 definitely, a 550 probably. a kz400 who cares. <--although that's your best deal. Chances are all these bikes will be sold by the time you get around to going and seeing one. You wan't a bike that will hold it's value buy the 400f the others are dime a dozen and 3k for a 750 is crazy unless it's perfect and even then they are way to common to demand that kinda money imo.

Well everyone around here lists these bikes for insanely high. I live near Seattle, WA. Pretty hip place. As far as me talking prices down, it helps to save time for the seller and I. If they list it at 3k and are unwilling to budge on the price then there is no need for me to even bother seeing the thing. I've been lurking on Craigslist for the past couple months and the market here is out of control. I appreciate the help as I'm not super familiar with these bikes yet. Definitely learning though. Quick question why does no one like kz400's? Not that I am leaning in that direction, just curious.

.paul said:
Well everyone around here lists these bikes for insanely high. I live near Seattle, WA. Pretty hip place. As far as me talking prices down, it helps to save time for the seller and I. If they list it at 3k and are unwilling to budge on the price then there is no need for me to even bother seeing the thing. I've been lurking on Craigslist for the past couple months and the market here is out of control. I appreciate the help as I'm not super familiar with these bikes yet. Definitely learning though. Quick question why does no one like kz400's? Not that I am leaning in that direction, just curious.

I like the KZ's, would love to have one. That one looks pretty clean. My suggestion is take your wife with you when you go to look at the bike. Both of you sit on it while parked. See how it feels. Even better if the owner will let you test ride with her (I wouldn't, just sayin...)

Other than that, I would disagree that the 750's are "pigs". I love them. Much better suited for two-up riding IMHO.

Good luck.

canyoncarver said:
I like the KZ's, would love to have one. That one looks pretty clean. My suggestion is take your wife with you when you go to look at the bike. Both of you sit on it while parked. See how it feels. Even better if the owner will let you test ride with her (I wouldn't, just sayin...)

Other than that, I would disagree that the 750's are "pigs". I love them. Much better suited for two-up riding IMHO.

Good luck.

Thanks for the input if I could get the 400f for 2k I'd be happy. If I got a 550 or 750 for 2k I'd be happy as well. Don't need/want a project. Has been quite the battle trying to decide.

that's what i am trying to say paul if you show up at this guys house with cash prices suddenly seem more flexible. Money talks friend

You could buy both.....and still leave the wife home...ha Or have her get a license and you can both ride. My wife recently got the urge to take the motorcycle safety course and now owns her own bike.

Kz is the way to go a twin is way eazy to maintain and all the other bikes mentioned are played out

bradj said:
Kz is the way to go a twin is way eazy to maintain and all the other bikes mentioned are played out

I believe that is what I'm going to do. That specific kz has only had 2 owners (same ones since 1980). It appears to be very cherry. It's a decent size bike so I can learn but not be the slowest one out there. I don't plan on putting the wife on the back until I'm proficient and even then it won't be for long trips. The 400f is beautiful but I'd rather not deal with 4 cylinders. Hopefully a kz400 will keep me busy for long enough power wise. I'm sure it will with top speeds nearing 100.

I'm sure it will be fine I have been riding for 12 years and I still enjoy riding a 350. The good news is at 1400 you can't loose. You could ride it 2 years and sell it for nearly if not all of that amount.

axeugene27 said:
I'm sure it will be fine I have been riding for 12 years and I still enjoy riding a 350. The good news is at 1400 you can't loose. You could ride it 2 years and sell it for nearly if not all of that amount.

Sounds good to me. I plan on taking it 100% to stock parts maybe leave the exhaust. They don't look too bad. Crash bar and back rest has got to go though. Thanks for the input.

.paul said:
I believe that is what I'm going to do. That specific kz has only had 2 owners (same ones since 1980). It appears to be very cherry. It's a decent size bike so I can learn but not be the slowest one out there. I don't plan on putting the wife on the back until I'm proficient and even then it won't be for long trips. The 400f is beautiful but I'd rather not deal with 4 cylinders. Hopefully a kz400 will keep me busy for long enough power wise. I'm sure it will with top speeds nearing 100.

The only thing I would caution on the kz is the head gaskets like to leak on the early models ('74-'77). Other than that they are a very simple bike that's easy to take care of.

Shermanator86 said:
The only thing I would caution on the kz is the head gaskets like to leak on the early models ('74-'77). Other than that they are a very simple bike that's easy to take care of.

Thanks for the heads up. I will look for leaks on it. Are head gaskets hard to replace on a motorcycle? Or approx cost of a shop to do it? Thanks to everyone for schooling this noob.

It' not bad to replace, no idea on cost though. The problem is that it is a design flaw of the head itself, there is an exhaust crossover in the head that the gasket goes around. So when it gets hot the gasket warps and leaks.

This is a pic of the early head, its called a smiley head for obvious reasons. The gasket around the cylinders themselves won't leak, its the part under the "mouth" that tends to leak.
kz.jpg

My roommate has a '75 and a '76 that both leak from there, only problem it really causes is having to clean up the motor after riding for awhile and checking oil levels which should be done often anyway.

The problem was fixed on later models ('78-newer 400's and 440's) by just putting an H pipe in the exhaust for a crossover
IMG_20110912_164234.jpg

Back
Top Bottom