MMMMMHHHHHEEEELLLLLLLLLLOOOOOOOO

.Spindat.

Hey.

I am Eric Spinney. I am a Mechanical Engineering Technologist. I'm new here, but I've been posting around a bit just to try and poke around a bit. I like it here, I think I'll stick around and make my presence known with everyone.

So I'll break myself down a bit for everyone so hopefully I don't get taken too seriously, something I always have issues with on forums.

My education is in mechanical engineering, for the past year and a half I have been working with a crane company doing the "engineering" and project management of small and heavy lifts. I decided that it was the dullest and most unrewarding thing I have ever had to endure so I am making a career change just this month into aerospace. I'm excited, I can't wait to start and learn all about everything and have my hands in on all that shit. Not to mention it makes me sound sophisticated and a little bit sexy. Thats all I care about.

I am a big VW enthusiast, I have owned a number of different models and I love them. I think I just love having to work on stuff. Hence me being a VW guy. Right now I drive a VR6 swapped 1990 Corrado. Enough about that though.

I am new to owning motorbikes and doing things to them. I love it. I want more of it. I have an XS400.
IMG_2288.jpg

Hate on me for not have done any performance upgrades yet, but I'm just getting into bikes. I don't exactly throw myself into corners at crazy speeds. Well this past weekend I did and it went awful.. anyway that's behind me now which means, yes, I need to make some smart upgrades to my braking and suspension and make the bike a little quicker perhaps.

In the mean time I beat the living shit out of it regularly and don't plan to stop.

I'm looking for a 1974 - 1978 CB550 to be my next bike that I want to completely tear down and rebuild. Also looking forward to getting to know everyone, and shooting the shit.

I like you all already.

First I would like to say, What is wrong with you? Why are there no pods and drag pipes on that motorcycle yet?! Har

I am an mechy in training myself.

Welcome

Thanks fella's, looking forward to our journey into friendship together.

Mr. Pablo I have a common desease that attacks young ME's out of school who "think they are rich but really aren't" called "spendeverycentyoumakeonpartsforyourcarormotorbike" It has sucked my account dry and im going through withdrawl.

Welcome to the mad house of DTT man ! You might want to accept the fact that if your biulding a bike your going to go broke LOL Keep with the 400 everyone has a CB this or that ( sorry CB guys ) we need more YAMs up in here !
Now get to work on that bike .......

DreadRock thanks for the welcome! I have accepted being broke for the past three years. Building an old VW sports car was nowhere near cheap. Getting the 400 to where it is at now was a nice change to the wallet and a lot easier, more fun, and rewarding.

I am on the fence if I want to tear the 400 apart this winter and build a go fast show type bike and get a CB550 as a ratty cafe daily or vice versa. There is no info that I can find of people squeezing more power out of their XS400's. I want to, just to be different and make people ask me why I didn't just step up to a 650 or something. I which case I will say some profanity and use "because" as my main argument and reasoning.

You can make any bike faster. Just depends how far down the rabbit hole you want to go. The 550 has a whole mess of performance waiting inside it. Guys have been making them fast for decades. The 400 is, as you know a whole different animal. I bet if you dig enough you'll find someone who made an xs400 get up though. Just remember that fast doesn't mean shit if the rest of the bike can't keep up...

Wise words, should have specified go fast/stopfastsafe type show bike.

With a bit of digging I found one guy that did a XS440 with Yoshimura 73mm pistons flat tracker. But I can't find anymore info than that. Can't even find that diameter piston on Yoshimura's site.

Would I be safe to say that I could frankenstein another set of 73mm pistons in?

2nd that ! The guy that first helped me on my XS500 has made one of his a drag bike and its crazy fast look up " Cafe? drag XS500" guys name is jimmer ! If someone can do it to a lug of a 500 the 400 can be done also ! But like Von said if you go fast everything on the bike needs to also !

Back
Top Bottom