Airhead Cafe Racer - 81 BMW R65 - Few New Pics

cafematty

Alcohol disposal unit.
DTT BOTM WINNER
Ok so after much demand... my 81 R65 build.

I found her on Craigslist for practically nothing... Completely rooted with cut wires, weird pieces of metal welded to it, parts from other bikes..etc... AND THAT HEADLIGHT......

IMG_1255.jpg

To start out, I wanted to get used to riding the bike, so I did a sort of "Phase 1" where I'd make her a bit more presentable. Come winter I would enter Phase 2 for the real buildup.

I pulled some of the dents from the tank with a cheapo Ding King from VatoZone. I didn't pull them all, as the tank was in very poor condition, and I knew I would be taking a hammer to the side anyway.

IMG_1273.jpg

I then went about stripping the tank down with Aircraft Remover.

IMG_1302.jpg

IMG_1424.jpg

Then I set about creating a seat pan. I basically used that aluminum AC tape and taped over where the fiberglass would go, and then put a few coats of turtle wax on it. Then laid down my fiberglass matte and resin.

IMG_1472.jpg

Now, I wasn't sure what the industry standard was, as far as attaching upholstery, but I knew staples weren't going into the resin (after a test) so I decided to make little anchor points, should they be needed. I did this with paint stirrers from Wal-Mart. I just measured and cut them so they wouldn't touch the frame, then taped them down for fit. Then I attached them with some thin bolts.

IMG_1542.jpg

IMG_1574.jpg

Next I acquired some foam from an upholstery shop and cut it out using an electric turkey knife from Wal-Mart. I attached it with some spray adhesive.

IMG_1602.jpg

Then I used the trusty angle grinder to smooth out the shape.

IMG_1616.jpg

Then I wrapped it all up (very poorly I might add). I figured this would be a good test run. And I'm glad I did it, because I learned that I didn't really like the shape of the seat very much when it was done. The finished product will be professionally done.

IMG_1655.jpg

Next, I took a hammer to the sides of the tank, and did the best I could to even out the dents (it is NOT easy). I then added a few touches of bondo to smooth it out and sanded.

IMG_1707.jpg

After numerous iterations of painting and wet sanding, I was left with a nice OD Green.

IMG_1722.jpg

Next I got at the wiring. I found a complete harness on eBay and went to town on the bike.

IMG_2070.jpg

This would have never been possible without the wiring diagram I found here.
http://bmwmotorcycletech.info/R65Schematic.htm

IMG_2073.jpg

I also managed to find a nice original headlight on eBay.

IMG_0261.jpg

So that got me to this point. I should also mention that this is my first bike. I'd never ridden before. So my goal at first was to get a decent looking bike that I could learn on. And later transform into a beautiful machine. But I think I did a pretty good job with phase one.

IMG_2277.jpg

For the most part the bike was in great condition except for an oil leak and a poor charging system (read: nonexistent). So I started looking into upgrading the charging system. There are a few options out there for us Airhead owners, the Omega and the EnDuraLast. Based on the design, I went with the EnDuraLast (and you should too). You can pick one up from here.

http://www.euromotoelectrics.com/

Old charging system.

old_charging.jpg

....aaaaaand the new.

parts.jpg

It came with a super-detailed, step-by-step manual. AND John at Euro MotoElectrics is SUPER helpful and quick to answer any questions you might have. I can't recommend this thing enough. It's pricey, but worth it.

All put back together..

installed.jpg

And the bike has been running flawlessly ever since! I rode the bike for about 4 months pretty much every single day.... and loving every second of it.

IMG_2266.jpg

***THIS CONCLUDES PHASE 1***

More pics can be seen at my blog: http://www.cafematty.com

Re: Airhead Cafe Racer - 81 BMW R65

Well you have certainly improved it, I will keep watch at what you do with it....Good luck!

what was wrong with the first head light? I kinda like it. Whats it look like from the front?

**** PHASE 2 ****

Winter time is here. I took off the week before Thanksgiving to begin the phase 2 tear-down, as I figured the weather would be getting a little less good. So, naturally that week it was the warmest weather we'd had in a month. Mid 70s. Complete crap.

I started by draining the fluids from the bike, and refilling my own.

sam-adams-break.jpg

I thoroughly labeled everything with plastic baggies as I began pulling it apart.

bike-in-a-box.jpg

Cylinders didn't look too bad. They had some weird cross-hatch marks like someone started to hone them, and then quickly realized they had no clue what they were doing... (which would mean they were probably learning something from their previous attempts on this bike...).. No matter, the heads will be taken to Day Custom Machine for a valve job and cylinder honing.

airhead-cylinder.jpg

Heads pulled. I actually built that workbench just for this tear-down.

bmw-heads.jpg

Drive shaft bolts were a pain.

r65-drive-shaft.jpg

By the end of the day, my bike was in pieces all over my garage.. and so was my heart.

r65-motor-removed.jpg

After this I began prepping the frame for the powder coater. Shaving tabs, brackets, and other useful things (like battery mounts)..

airhead-frame-modification.jpg

I also started cleaning up the engine and whatnot...

Before:
dirty-boxer.jpg

After:
clean-boxer.jpg

Helpful hint: Piston rings are sharp.

piston-rings-are-sharp.jpg

I fiberglassed a new tailpiece which will be handed off to the painter to fix all my mistakes (read: completely redo it)..

fiberglass-cafe-racer-tailpiece.jpg

Tank from eBay: $21.00
WIN!

r65-tank-ebay.jpg

Also got a complete right control unit. This will replace the one that somebody put on there off a Yamaha dirt bike....

r65-throttle-master-cylinder.jpg

Got my frame back from the Custom Powder Coating of Dallas!!!

airhead-frame-orange-bomber.jpg

The color is called Bomber Orange. It's the coolest powder I've ever seen. Has a kind-of pearl look with a gold flake.

r65-frame-orange-bomber.jpg

Mmmm.. Tasty...

orange-bomber-sparkle-powder.jpg

Mocked up a bit...

tank-seat-frame-mockup.jpg

nemocb said:
what was wrong with the first head light? I kinda like it. Whats it look like from the front?

Eh.. Just looked more street-fighter-ish maybe? Just didn't fit.. My lady dubbed it "The Sphinx"...

IMG_1258.jpg

You finally did it! Now I can find out what's going on without ever leaving the comforts of DTT. ;D

What's the t-minus on the tank??

66replica said:
You finally did it! Now I can find out what's going on without ever leaving the comforts of DTT. ;D

What's the t-minus on the tank??

LOL!

The guy said January 15th.

I should mention to those that don't know, I've dropped my tank, tailpiece, and seat off with a guy that does some custom work here in Dallas.

The tank is getting knee dents cut / welded and everything is being painted. The seat is being completely re-done. I should have everything back together by the 15th, so I should be riding that weekend. OH MY GOD I'M EXCITED!

treitz said:
SICK. That orange frame is insane!

Aw, Thanks man!

I went in to get a flat orange... Then I saw that sample hanging on the wall... I was like, "DUDE! We have to put that on my bike!"

They also had a blue that had the same character. Freaking gorgeous.

looks like fun!

ive been dying to get my hands on an airhead (and 20 other bikes hahaha)

Very cool. Love the orange. Too many people shy away from the bright colors. I think they make the bikes look more race inspired.
What are the rest of the colors youve chosen? A cool pearl sky blue would be rad. Like the old Gulf race cars of the 60s and 70s...

a603c9bd.jpg

Yeah I love that orange and blue. But the rest is going to be a black / dark gray. I wanted to do Halloween colors since that's my birthday.

My next build will be blue. I love blue. Mmmmm blue.

Only thing better than race colors are Halloween colors! Youre a man after my own design heart! ha ha ha

Man, great score on that tank for $21, that is one hell of a deal! Love that orange frame too! Great job!

VonYinzer said:
Only thing better than race colors are Halloween colors! Youre a man after my own design heart! ha ha ha

... if i can reach just ONE person....

Back
Top Bottom