1974 XL350 - Bob & Chop build - NEW NAME... PROJECT COPPER TOP!

Re: 1974 XL350 - Bob & Chop build - LET THE FUN BEGIN... The Tear Down started

Hey Slo,

I see you already have a build thread ;)

Its looking great. Thats great about your local shop doing your hard tail. I sure wish I had some local help, it really is nice to have that resource.

Keep the updates coming, she is looking great

Re: 1974 XL350 - Bob & Chop build - LET THE FUN BEGIN... The Tear Down started

Small but not insignificant update. The hard tail is tacked on ;D

I'll have better pics tomorrow. Should be ready for me to pic up on Friday.

Here is a quick pic (really crappy cell phone pic.... Sorry)
31fb5c67b932a94af259b19b67ceb6fb.jpg

Finally im home from trips for work and was able to go pick up the completed hardtail.

Here's a quick sneak peak, more to come later after I get it on the table and strip the rest of the paint off the frame.

deaa43604cbb7b5b46134c95473acbd8.jpg

Thanks, not a kit, a local shop bent the tube and welded it up for me. I plan to build a frame jig and do the next one my self but i want to get this done quick so i can keep the build going. it turned out decent. kind of hard to find a good way to tie into the stock portion of the frame with the way it was shaped and keep structural integrity.

not much of an update , but Color Scheme has been chosen... more on that later gonna spray a spare cunk of fender in the color ill use on the tins... Just need to decide what color/colors ill use on the motor.

gonna start tearing down the motor soon to start the re-build. need to make a preliminary parts list first though. then start throwing the money at it. also need to find some fenders.

Anyone have some fenders that will hug a 120 tire? want some thing smooth and round.... I think Ive decided on a tank but not 100% yet, gonna test fit first and see if i like it:p

Made a little progress this weekend, but not as much as I would have liked. I got,the main welds on the frame smoothed out since they were mig welded, though decent migmwelds not as pretty as tig.... Out came the grinder.

Also had some parts start to show up.... Still more on the way.

5bf0c09550665a352043f4c3717b3386.jpg

Hooray stainless!
4a15753eb787de7f3d4d62b26c9d9809.jpg

New clutch lever.... Brake still coming.
81c2815b34b8412aa054439bf5d7cb3b.jpg

Fresh set of crack spackle pieces
8220b47b50d848d728dcdbcb4bf51a58.jpg

Working on cutting up a front fender I have laying around.... We'll see how it turns out and if I like it.

Mail man brought some treats for Halloween!

I decided to take the dive and cut the front fender some more.... Still needs some more sanding and shaping but the general shape is there...

Before:
3a2cc1dd5381aee142c09704b281474c.jpg

After:
9149cbf771e0bdd3705fda09988c5b16.jpg

The carb and brake lever showed up too! The brake lever looks the same as the clutch lever... But ther is the pic of the carb from eBay!
a827d6eea176e7967237586ad6638f68.jpg

Any progress on this lately? What did you find out about your head? I have a '74 xl350 as well so if you have any questions or are looking for a random part, let me know.

Sadly I haven't made any progress lately. Everything is kinda on hold. First it was the holidays, then work has been crazy busy lately. The little free time I have had has been spent getting a couple of our vehicles ready to sell... Changing up a daily drivers for me and the wife.

Hopefully I can dig into it in march and push to make some real progress. I want this thing on the road this summer

Well, the winter finally seems to be coming to an end around here and it's warming up again. I've started planning my summer work and some progress on this project is in order.

So, in the next week or so I plan to order some parts and start working on it again. :)

Well, due to some sold parts my paypl account is growing. Looks like I'll have a seat and fork seals on the way shortly.... Maybe a tank.

Back
Top Bottom