Fuck liquid cooled motorcycles.

so im not the only one that keeps buying "the next project" when i'm not done with the "project" in front of me?

I think that's pretty much a pre req for membership here haha

My turbo 14 had the same issue stock, loved to run hot, mixture setting fixed it. Your mixture sounds a bit of a culprit. Fuel tank vent will lean it out, dirty strainer in the petcock. Rule 1, never go back to the same solved item. Look somewhere else. If you have two KLRs swap carbs etc. The sign of insanity, is to try the same thing over, and expect different results.
I had a petcock flow good once, then riding, the debris would collect around it shutting off the fuel supply.

I bought the triumph to keep me riding while working on projects. It had been too long since my last "modern" bike. I do miss that 599 though.

SONIC. said:
Word to the wise, 12 motorcycles don't do anyone any good if only 3 are somewhat reliable.

I owned 112 at one time, talk about a mess. Only about 45 of them were reliable. I feel your pain.

During that time I owned 3 KLR 650s an '89, 2001 and 2007. Every single one of them ran hot. How hot are you getting it? They by nature run hot. On the road they all ran fine but as soon as the front tire hit dirt is started heating up. I tested everything, thermostat, radiator, carburetor, fan etc. nothing ever fixed it. One did have a crack in the bottom of the air box that caused it to overheat but even after fixing that it still got hot.

I'm sure all of the KLR guys will come in saying how theirs never gets hot but it is well documented all over the place that they do. Install a switch so you can run the fan all the time, splice on end into the black/blue wire to the fan and the other end to power. That kept mine right over halfway when offroad. Make sure the shrouds on the side are on and fitting properly or the air won't be directed where it needs to go. Some people even go as far as to add foam pipe cover to the edges to seal it better.

xb33bsa said:
stock exhaust ? check the removable core if carboned-up

Ding, Ding, Ding, Ding.
Ended up being a completely clogged aftermarket exhaust.

It still runs hot though, not nearly as bad but it will still overheat eventually. I think I probably need to rejet for the K&N and the pipe I haven't checked what jets are in it yet.

Tswami, that's a shit load of motorcycles!
I love how everyone says "it's a KLR it's just hot it's not overheating"
Overheating does not mean "it's in the red" overheating means it's blowing boiling coolant out of the overflow tank onto my right leg and theres a cloud of steam coming out of the radiator that would make Mt. St Helens proud. ;D

xb33bsa said:
i bet it has mo power as well ;D what was it a screen or discs ?

Funny thing is I didnt notice a power loss for a long time that's why i never even looked at the exhaust. Then one day I was riding it and boom lost a ton of power. I figured I had finally blown the head gasket fully. I then noticed no pressure coming from the exhaust.
Pulled the exhaust and the disks were completely clogged with old fiberglass from the wrapped baffle. Pulled that and all seems well enough. Need to rejet I think but I'm focusing on other things for a while 8)

Yeah, it was a lot. I had lots of turn over then I ended up keeping a lot of them because I couldn't let go of them.

Glad you figured it out. Several friends have gotten klrs and freak out saying it's going to blow when it is slightly over half and that is fairly normal. Didn't realize yours was that bad. Mine with the cracked airbox was that bad too it was boiling after a couple minutes of riding. Took me forever to figure that one out.

I'll tell you I only have 10 now and that feels like way too many. It's much better to have a few really good ones.

SONIC. said:
Funny thing is I didnt notice a power loss for a long time that's why i never even looked at the exhaust. Then one day I was riding it and boom lost a ton of power. I figured I had finally blown the head gasket fully. I then noticed no pressure coming from the exhaust.
Pulled the exhaust and the disks were completely clogged with old fiberglass from the wrapped baffle. Pulled that and all seems well enough. Need to rejet I think but I'm focusing on other things for a while 8)
back in the day a lot of fellers were running supertrapps on 2 strokes including myself
but we learned with a 2 stroke especially you gotta clean them often
i even devised and used a simple method to space the discs apart using nails and warshers :D

bradj said:
If you cut down on the time spent acting like a little bitch with a broken high heel and incressed the time spent working on it you would stand a better chance

Stone told Steve Austin

KLR650. Net go there ....have you replaced the doohickey yet?.... If you need the wrench and puller i have em...

DesmoBro said:
KLR650. Net go there ....have you replaced the doohickey yet?.... If you need the wrench and puller i have em...

I have not bothered on either of them as of yet. I'm not too worried about it at the moment but it suppose it's piece of mind if nothing else. One of mine has 50k on it and still has plenty of tension and plenty of spring slack. Of the millions of KLR's out there what a couple hundred have had failures? Seems like a bunch of internet hype to me.
If I decide to do it I'll certainly borrow the tools though :D

Its no bullshit mine had 14,000 and the doo was snapped if it had gone any longer would have fried the motor

The site is good has loads of dedicated info on the KLR 650 little mods that boost power and cost next to nothin.....plus they have guys building parts better than factory and selling them (ehhhem Eagle Mike) if your messing around and have taken it apart you may as well check it out ...especially if you have 2 then you can see, smell and taste the difference with the mods

DesmoBro said:
Its no bullshit mine had 14,000 and the doo was snapped if it had gone any longer would have fried the motor

The site is good has loads of dedicated info on the KLR 650 little mods that boost power and cost next to nothin.....plus they have guys building parts better than factory and selling them (ehhhem Eagle Mike) if your messing around and have taken it apart you may as well check it out ...especially if you have 2 then you can see, smell and taste the difference with the mods

Yeah ill do it eventually haha.
The second one I bought had a bunch of nice parts on it so I stole them and put them on the nice one. 320mm rotor, center stand, skid plate, foot pegs, etc.
I love the thing so much it's ridiculous.
You sold yours didn't you?

Yea mine was held together with jb weld it was by far the luckiest sale ive had i think it only sold because it was a KLR

i tried googling the doohickey thing just because i was curious - still have no idea what it is. I dont even own a KLR lol

It's a counterbalance chain tensioner on a KLR.
most of these ADV guys haven't a clue how to turn a wrench, so they just call it a "doohickey" haha

I hung this up on display in my basement workshop here is my original doo

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 211
Back
Top Bottom